Two Hostages: Would you put down your gun? - Page 4

Two Hostages: Would you put down your gun?

This is a discussion on Two Hostages: Would you put down your gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I think it's kind of a ridiculous scenario. I think it's quite unlikely a hostage taker is just going to just randomly ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Two Hostages: Would you put down your gun?

First of all, I think it's kind of a ridiculous scenario. I think it's quite unlikely a hostage taker is just going to just randomly walk up and take two hostages as described in this scenario.

I mean, really? What exactly is his motive to just walk into a big box store and randomly put a knife to two innocent shoppers throats who were a moment ago, casually browsing the selection of tampax in aisle 9. And then essentially stab one of the hostages in the neck without any provocation when the main purpose of holding a hostage is to keep an armed good guy from killing him. A halfway plausible scenario is in order here if you want people to seriously play along.

But to play along... my wife, "the presumed hostage" already knows that likely no good will come from me giving up my gun. And we as a couple have already discussed hostage scenarios. I'm going to tell the hostage taker, "The only way to absolutely guarantee I kill you, is to hurt her in anyway." As soon as my wife hears me saying those words it's her predetermined cue to go absolutely limp and drop to the ground. Preferably, before I even finish my sentence. As he tried to keep hold of her, I'm shooting him in the upper chest and head. I don't see where firing a warning shot for any reason to have any positive effect on this guy.

That's the plan. I can't guarantee it's actually going to play out that way. My wife and I have practiced with me holding her in various ways as a potential hostage taker, and for her without warning, going completely limp and dropping to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to keep a hold of someone who is 130 lbs who suddenly and without warning goes limp. It really opens up a pretty good target area and more importantly drops them out of danger for the necessary moments to have a pretty clear shot.

We do plan on trying it with three role players and actually introducing a person taking the shot on the hostage taker with airsoft or paint ball. But just the two of us playing hostage and hostage taker has had very good results so far during drills.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isr matrix View Post
    i cannot think of a situation that would make me put down my firearm at the instructions of an armed suspect. the situation described suggests surrendering your gun to a crazy person already armed with a knife who has already indicated his intentions with his first victim.what would make you think that he would let you and your so live after you already witnessed him murder someone? Why would you literally offer him both of your lives to dispose of so casually?

You don't have to be a cowboy. Keep your weapon concealed if you have to and wait for an opportunity (i know that wasn't an option), but don't give up your piece until the popo gets there.
    BRAVO! NEVER...NEVER...NEVER
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My warning shot goes right into the bridge of his nose. As far as my firearm, it never leaves my hand, can't imagine a scenario where doing what a bad guy tells you ends well.
    Last edited by edlex; June 10th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    You have walked in to a store with your wife, child, girlfriend, boyfriend, cousin (insert whatever or whomever means the most to you in the world here).
    He orders you to put your gun down or he will kill someone. You hesitate at first. Then in one quick movement the suspect stabs the young woman in the throat and she collapes to the floor. His full attention is now turned to what matters most to you in the world. He again says he will kill to make his point clear you have 10 seconds to comply.
    When the hostage taker speaks shoot whatever part of the hostage taker's arm is exposed, or offers the most negligable hit on the hostage.

When someone is talking, they aren't shooting/cutting, so wait for him to open his yap...then press...

When the hostage falls away, shoot the hostage taken in the head or COM many times till he falls down, or till you run out of ammo and have to beat him to death with your empty gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

When the hostage falls away, shoot the hostage taken in the head or COM many times till he falls down, or till you run out of ammo and have to beat him to death with your empty gun.
    You mean hostage taker right?
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    When the hostage taker speaks shoot whatever part of the hostage taker's arm is exposed, or offers the most negligable hit on the hostage.

When someone is talking, they aren't shooting/cutting, so wait for him to open his yap...then press...

I certainly hope you mean shoot the hostage taker in the head. If not, I don't want to be around you during a hostage situation.

I doubt anything would make me give up my gun. If they are that close to me, I am pretty sure I can hit some part of the hostage "taker" at some point and time. If they do work so fast that they have already cut a loved one, all bets are off, I am making sure they are not going to interfere with my giving first aid to the loved one.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    You mean hostage taker right?
    Typo...unless it's an EX.

Then...accidents happen.

I would not put my gun down...he's already determined to kill with a knife...why would I give him a gun. At this point, it's make or break...and I'm looking to take a shot.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Unless this guy is completly behind your loved one, I see no reason not to take a head shot at the criminal.
    This is where going to a range and Practicing comes into play. If you practice and get perfishent with your shots, you should have no problem I'd think.
    If I was the guy being held hostage and I knew my friend or loved one had a CCW, I would want them to take the shot. At this point he shows that he will kill so take the shot and pray you hit first. If Im going to die, Im going down swinging.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links