Woman threatens with AIDS: What do you do?

This is a discussion on Woman threatens with AIDS: What do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Body Condom comes to mind...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Woman threatens with AIDS: What do you do?

Body Condom comes to mind
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

TVJ
    HIV is grave bodily harm to me.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

If I were the one being threatened, I'd decontaminate her with a few ounces of Fox Labs. I bet she couldn't spit as far as I could spray.

If I worked at a bank and was faced with the exact same scenario I would had over the money and try to press the alarm button. Let the police handle it. With all the cameras she passed just getting to and through the bank she will be caught soon.

Can you even get AIDS from someone coughing or sneezing on you?

I would laugh. The chances of obtaining HIV from saliva are extremely outside to the point of nonexistant. The main concern here is Hepatitus. Hiv dies quickly outside of the body, but Hep can live for days. Just back hand her and call it a day.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    Can you even get AIDS from someone coughing or sneezing on you?
    No, but again. You don't know if she's hiding a syringe or something similar that's infected.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You cannot get HIV from someone coughing/sneezing on you. Infection comes from: sexual intercourse, injecting drug use, blood transfusions typically. The infected persons blood would need a way to enter your bloodstream or mucus membranes I.e. They bleed into your open wound. I worked in HIV research (medications) 15 years ago and I admit I am not up on recent data.

Administrator
    In that exact scenario the teller should have just hit the bank alarm and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I believe criminals when they say they are going to injure me via one means or another and act accordingly to prevent such injury.
    ...and we need to treat them accordingly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    HIV, the virus which leads to/causes AIDS, is survivable.

However, if HIV turns into AIDS, there is no chance of survival. 100% of people diagnosed with AIDS will die from it.

(Technically, AIDS weakens the immune system to the point that one can be killed by the common cold, and it's usually some subsequent infection that kills, rather than AIDS itself).
    Correct, AIDS is a terrible way to die. I have had the opportunity to watch four inmates waste away and die.

There are studies that say you have less than a 1% chance of contracting HIV from a dirty needle stick. Of course those were accidental sticks, not someone injecting dirty blood into the body.

I would be more concerned with exposure to the other nasty things out there.

Of course, air injected into the blood stream can be deadly also.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    You cannot get HIV from someone coughing/sneezing on you. Infection comes from: sexual intercourse, injecting drug use, blood transfusions typically. The infected persons blood would need a way to enter your bloodstream or mucus membranes I.e. They bleed into your open wound. I worked in HIV research (medications) 15 years ago and I admit I am not up on recent data.
    Still, as far as I know, spot on. I know we had a few frequent flyers (retired EMS) that were spitters and we were warned against that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    No, but again. You don't know if she's hiding a syringe or something similar that's infected.
    You cant act on the possibility that someone is 'hiding' any weapon.

Heck, she could threaten AIDs and have a gun....who knows? Cant do anything about it unless you see it, except be prepared.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In that exact scenario the teller should have just hit the bank alarm and walked away.
    Agreed.

But someone else mentioned that such a biological threat is also a felony....so if some **immiment** threat appeared, like a syringe...and I could not retreat (as implied by 'imminent')...then lethal force could be called for. And a tough row to hoe in court

Just a different point to consider, but somewhat off the OP's scenario.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

TVJ
    She threatens grave bodily harm with her personal biohazard.

I agree on the Hep C risk vs HIV likelihood.

Move off X and away from her. Call police. Seems easiest thing to do. Avoid contact, period.

If she follows, OC.

If no OC, draw down, yell "Back Off" and continue retreat.

Tactically, I view a syringe the same as a knife and treat it as such inside of 21 feet.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links