"ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

This is a discussion on "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by buckeye .45 They yell Alluh Akbar as they detonate, and immediately before. You most likely aren't going to have time to draw ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    They yell Alluh Akbar as they detonate, and immediately before. You most likely aren't going to have time to draw and shoot, its a sad fact of life.

Distance is your best friend against someone with an SVEST. If I saw someone in the state you described, I would be exiting the area, very quickly, and calling the police. I have dealt with enough suicide bomber threats overseas, really, getting distance is the best plan.
    I second this...I've been fortunate to not have been injured by shrapnel (thanks to being in armored vehicle), but the overpressure from the explosion is what did it for me. Like Buckeye .45 said, distance is your friend. If you're close enough to shoot, you're too close. As I've mentioned in other posts--the BG picks the time and place...your best SA is not going to help you in the scenario indicated above. Not to mention, if the BG with the vest decides to have a change of heart, there may be another BG nearby with a remote trigger....a guy you will never see...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

mel
    Run Forrest, RUN!

I think I'll have to take advice of the vets who have more experience than me.

Run!
    SAnta01 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Lead Moderator
    To paraphrase the back of the EOD T-shirt, "if you see me running, try and keep up"!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you are at a distance where you can see the suicide bomber and would be able to take a shot at him, then chances are you won't be able to find a decent cover or escape just in time to survive the strong blast. Therefore, the only option would be to draw your firearm and pray that you have enough time to shoot the terrorist quickly with a head shot before he engages the bomb. Chances are, sadly there won't be enough time. Damn I hate terrorists!!! It just makes me furious that they attack innocent victims that have absolutely nothing to do with whatever conflict they have with the government and are just there enjoying their lives or going about with their daily routine. They should all be quickly exterminated off the face of the Earth!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Haul assky and if possible put a solid structure between me and firecracker boy,since I can't run I'm gonna try to find a concrete barrier and prone out behind it,then hope the blast goes over and or around me,Any loved ones go underneath me,I've lived a pretty good life,I'm not afraid to put myself in harms way so somebody else may live
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My response to this situation

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

From the very little I know about suicide bombers if your hearing that phrase its to late. Stop, drop and cover any loved ones you can, if you even have time to do that.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Run.

Run thru the briars and run thru the brambles and RUN through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go!

and, if you're lucky, you'll survive.
    I love that Johnny Horton song!

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    If you are at a distance where you can see the suicide bomber and would be able to take a shot at him, then chances are you won't be able to find a decent cover or escape just in time to survive the strong blast. Therefore, the only option would be to draw your firearm and pray that you have enough time to shoot the terrorist quickly with a head shot before he engages the bomb. Chances are, sadly there won't be enough time. Damn I hate terrorists!!! It just makes me furious that they attack innocent victims that have absolutely nothing to do with whatever conflict they have with the government and are just there enjoying their lives or going about with their daily routine. They should all be quickly exterminated off the face of the Earth!
    Really, every foot you get in between yourself and the blast increases your chances of survival.

If you think that you are going to be able to draw, and get a clear headshot in a crowd in a matter of seconds, more power to you. But what about others in the crowd who see you pulling a gun? But as someone who spent 14 months overseas dealing with suicide bomber threats, I disagree with you about that. Gaining distance, and getting cover to stop the shrapnel is your best bet. I know I talked earlier about just cover isn't the best idea because of the blast, but you need some to stop the shrap.

If you can gain 10-20 yards, it will increase your survivability rate dramatically against a standard sized SVEST. My 40 yard dash time in high school football was about 5.3 seconds. Most humans running can cover 10-20 yards in 2-3 seconds. How long does it take you to draw from concealment and make a precision shot like a t-box shot requires?

There is a time to engage, and a time to evade. My experience and training tells me this one falls into the category of the latter.
    SIGguy229 and garyacman like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that I thought shooting was your best option, I was just curious what people's thought processes were. It seems to me, that as people mentioned, if you are so late that he is already preparing to detonate, taking a shot isn't going to help you. An exception might be if his first attempt to detonate failed for some reason (mechanical failure or something). Remote detonation is also something that concerned me.

That said, I am curious why the article said firing on the suspected bomber was the policy. My only assumption is that because it involved taking the BG out before he reached his intended target, not when he was already AT his intended target, as described in the scenario.

If I'm close enough for a shot... I aint gonna make it running. For me it's one in the sweet spot. Or die trying.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    They yell Alluh Akbar as they detonate, and immediately before. You most likely aren't going to have time to draw and shoot, its a sad fact of life.

Distance is your best friend against someone with an SVEST. If I saw someone in the state you described, I would be exiting the area, very quickly, and calling the police. I have dealt with enough suicide bomber threats overseas, really, getting distance is the best plan.
    I'm with you brother! DISTANCE,DISTANCE is the key. If this was a nut with a gun RATHER than a vest,then maybe confronting force-on-force is a possibility,but not with explosives rigged to his body.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

As most others have said ... RUN!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I'm not a cyborg and am physically susceptible to holes in my body, so I'm grabbing the family and bolting, period. I'll describe what I saw later to investigators, if I make it far enough.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links