"ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

This is a discussion on "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems to me that for a bomber to be effective he has to be in among a group of people, not standing alone. He ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

It seems to me that for a bomber to be effective he has to be in among a group of people, not standing alone. He wants body count not just a smoking hole in the ground. If I see someone as described he would most likely be in a crowd where a shot would be difficult at best. Yell "Fire!!" and get some attention, maybe get the crowd moving and attract some police attention. It's probably already too late.

2. Remove Ads

Take cover and slow my senses down like in the matrix and curve my bullet around the people and through his temple. Ill expect at least the key to the city for my heroism.
    SAnta01 likes this.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    As most others have said ... RUN!
    x2...
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Whip out your can of Tactical Bacon and throw it at him!tactical-bacon-closeup.jpg
    guardmt likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This is why I love DC. I never thought of a lot of things people mentioned in this thread. We're also quite fortunate to have folks who have actual experience with this sort of thing. Thank you for your service, and for your input!
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Whip out your can of Tactical Bacon and throw it at him!tactical-bacon-closeup.jpg
    LOOK OUT!!! IT'S a HAMBUSH!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    You are dead by the time you realize what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The cover will protect you from shrapnel, but if you are close enough, the blast wave will still rock your world, and can be lethal. Bombs kill in two ways, the force of the blast, and the stuff it makes fly through the air. We had a VBIED go off in Iraq, and it still rung people's bell who were a couple hundred meters off, and blew out most of the windows for the same distance. Granted, that was a couple hundred pounds, and a typical SVEST is more in the 20 pound range. But, distance is better than cover when it comes to explosives.

Also something to think about, is that some explosives mixtures are not very shock resistant, and most are even less so if the ratios or steps get messed up during manufacture. So if you are going to go for a COM shot, you better hope it is a shock resistant explosive that was made right, which it probably won't be, because it was probably made in a basement somewhere.
    I was thinking the same thing. You take a COM shot on a suicide bomber and you might just be doing his job for him. Best to get some distance and call 911. Sometimes you just can't stop bad things from happening, and this seems like a lose-lose scenario, even if you did have enough time to take a shot, which you most likely wouldn't.

It is a fact that in Israel, some alert citizens have effectively stopped homicide bombers by shooting them and preventing detonation.

However, in this country, unless homicide bombers start happening on a regular basis, I wouldn't even consider trying to take him out. I'm not going to be the first "test case" here in Missouri.

I am fully in buckeye.45 (formerly buckeyeLcpl) camp in this scenario. Get as far away as fast as I can!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They yell Alluh Akbar as they detonate, and immediately before. You most likely aren't going to have time to draw and shoot, its a sad fact of life.
    Wanna bet... When a dog starts to growl I can have him center site before he can finish.. I will have Mozambique'd him before he can say Akbar.... as to the dead man switch, nope not very likely what if their hand gets tired before they can get to the site, these guys aren't rocket scientist... Bottom line dammed if you do and dammed if you don't and I choose do....

N NO a 45 ACP will not set off plastic, or 40%...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Reminds me of a line from an old Ray Stevens song. "Feet's don't fail me now!!!" I'm getting out of Dodge and getting out as fast as I can. A gun is no match for a bomb, I don't care what caliber you carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It is a fact that in Israel, some alert citizens have effectively stopped homicide bombers by shooting them and preventing detonation.

However, in this country, unless homicide bombers start happening on a regular basis, I wouldn't even consider trying to take him out. I'm not going to be the first "test case" here in Missouri.

I am fully in buckeye.45 (formerly buckeyeLcpl) camp in this scenario. Get as far away as fast as I can!

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amscray on da Ondalay!!!
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    One of TDI's Instructors, Greg Ellifritz (who also has taken a number of explosive classes) wrote a very interesting article/note. It's VERY worth the read on this topic.

When The Bomb Blows!

Just to quote a little part of the article (which is very very good)...

If you are armed with a firearm, should you shoot the bomber? That is a tough call. If you are right about your guess and kill the bomber before he detonates, you will be a hero. If you are wrong you will be either blown up or arrested. It makes the decision a little difficult.

I will say this…if you decide to shoot the bomber, expect to die. Remember that danger zone of 400 meters I talked about earlier? How many of you can make a headshot at 400 meters with your concealed carry pistol? If you can’t, you are in the kill zone. If the bomber detonates you will be seriously injured or killed. By definition, if you are close enough to take a shot, you are going to be within range of the bomb’s blast.

^^ Nice article. But I won't lie, that article did a pretty fair job at scaring me. There really is little to no defense against an explosive. I guess one just has to accept that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    There really is little to no defense against an explosive. I guess one just has to accept that.
    That is the primary reason bombs and explosives are preferred by terrorists.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links