"ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

This is a discussion on "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paul34 There really is little to no defense against an explosive. I guess one just has to accept that. That is why ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    There really is little to no defense against an explosive. I guess one just has to accept that.
    That is why EOD exists!!
    Bark'n and JOHNSMITH like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    "Rockbottom" you just reminded me...I once heard that a .22 pistol was the best bear defense weapon you could carry..."if you're charged you just shoot whoever is with you in the kneecap and run. Off topic, just thought I'd share
    There's also the joke about the two old boys who encounter a grizzly bear. The first one asks "What do we do now?"

His buddy replies "RUN!!!"

The first one says "I don't think I can outrun the bear."

His buddy replies "I can't either, but I can outrun YOU!!!"

We now return you to the thread topic......
    JOHNSMITH and bwalker25 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    ^^ Nice article. But I won't lie, that article did a pretty fair job at scaring me. There really is little to no defense against an explosive. I guess one just has to accept that.
    The two best defenses from an explosive attack are distance, as I have highlighted, and very finely tuned situational awareness to know what to look for, so that you can avoid the situation.

Beyond that, there isn't really much else that can be done to protect yourself from a bomb.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The two best defenses from an explosive attack are distance, as I have highlighted, and very finely tuned situational awareness to know what to look for, so that you can avoid the situation.

Beyond that, there isn't really much else that can be done to protect yourself from a bomb.
    Not to get the thread too far off track, what do you think of ballistic panels inside brief cases?

Ballistic Panel - Magills.com

The instructor at one of my classes thought they were a good idea if you normally carried a brief case anyway. Any protection at all is better than none.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Wanna bet... When a dog starts to growl I can have him center site before he can finish.. I will have Mozambique'd him before he can say Akbar.... as to the dead man switch, nope not very likely what if their hand gets tired before they can get to the site, these guys aren't rocket scientist... Bottom line dammed if you do and dammed if you don't and I choose do....

N NO a 45 ACP will not set off plastic, or 40%...
    you are correct in that a 45 will not set off properly made plastique, however improperly made C4 and semtex are highly unstable when not stored, made, or transported properly. Others are highly unstable as is TNT, RDX, Nitroglycerin, and others are often mixed and stored improperly, old and brittle/sensitive, or made to be set off by impact and shock. I have lit C4 on fire and cooked with it before, military grade stuff is stable. However most of the stuff terrorists are getting their hands on is made in a basement or so old it has deteriorated to the point of unstability. If your willing to bet the lives on hundreds of people on that explosive being properly made and stored C4 and not RDX be my guest, but if your wrong and I get maimed or killed because of your decision to shoot the man in the explosive vest, you are gonna pay me or my family big bucks to make it go away. Like you said, these guys are not rocket scientists.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Not to get the thread too far off track, what do you think of ballistic panels inside brief cases?
    Might help defend against frag, not going to do squat against the pressure wave!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    you are correct in that a 45 will not set off properly made plastique, however improperly made C4 and semtex are highly unstable when not stored, made, or transported properly. Others are highly unstable as is TNT, RDX, Nitroglycerin, and others are often mixed and stored improperly, old and brittle/sensitive, or made to be set off by impact and shock. I have lit C4 on fire and cooked with it before, military grade stuff is stable. However most of the stuff terrorists are getting their hands on is made in a basement or so old it has deteriorated to the point of unstability. If your willing to bet the lives on hundreds of people on that explosive being properly made and stored C4 and not RDX be my guest, but if your wrong and I get maimed or killed because of your decision to shoot the man in the explosive vest, you are gonna pay me or my family big bucks to make it go away. Like you said, these guys are not rocket scientists.
    The vast majority of stuff terrorists use is home made, and simpler explosives than any of the stuff you list. They usually make their own.

Military C4 is stable, but lighting it on fire and then subjecting it to shock will set it off.

Rockbottom, as far as that panel for a breifcase, I agree with the resident EOD tech, for frag it might help, but, the bomb could still kill you if you are too close.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I for some reason can't edit posts, but that should read I have seen C4 lit on fire and used for cooking. Hands got away from brain again.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

This is a thought provoking thread!!!!!!!

What if you are mistaken and the person is just disarrange with no bomb, and you triple tap him.

Running is not a crime, but murder is!!!

I vote run, calling out "fire" to move the rest of the crowd along, then calling 911.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

My plan is to grab the wife and kid and haul @ss. Leave packages, stroller (unless I just pick the whole damn thing up) and anything else behind. I'll pull a fire alarm if I can get to one. Afterwards I call 911 and report what happened. My firearm never leaves it's holster. You need the right tool for the right job, and my New Balance are a better tool than my weapon in this scenario.
    Last edited by SC Tiger; June 21st, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Remove profanity (sort of)

Senior Moderator
    There is no aruging with a shock wave.

You are either in the kill zone or you arent.

The best thing to do is to make sure you arent.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I second this...I've been fortunate to not have been injured by shrapnel (thanks to being in armored vehicle), but the overpressure from the explosion is what did it for me. Like Buckeye .45 said, distance is your friend. If you're close enough to shoot, you're too close. As I've mentioned in other posts--the BG picks the time and place...your best SA is not going to help you in the scenario indicated above. Not to mention, if the BG with the vest decides to have a change of heart, there may be another BG nearby with a remote trigger....a guy you will never see...
    Gee I hope BG #2 doesn't fancy BG#1's girlfriend, or have a life insurance policy on BG #1.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    If I'm wrong you will be dead as will I, and the bomber would have set of the explosive anyway so it is a wash. Anything under (dynamite) 40% is stable, black powder is a wash but not as potent per pound, and although shock sensitive even the home made plastic is hard to set off with a subsonic round such as a .45 ACP. Old TNT not that common, although still is occasionally found in old barns and mines, and it will kill you trying to move it, so if you know where some is contact the experts and do not walk but run away...

So the choice is defiantly Die while running, or maybe die while attempting to stop the terrorist. Maybe is a whole lot better than a definite in any book. CM AKA the heart and one to the head will shut them off....

One more comment, if you are some place and are so zoned out that you fail to notice when someone starts a rant in some language that sounds like Arabic and you are not already either running away or going for your gun then you have no business being on this forum...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Forget shooting, I'm going to be running the heck away, towards the nearest cover that looks like it might stop a .50 bmg.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links