"ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

This is a discussion on "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the recent activity at the Pentagon this morning, a scenario which has been kicking around in my mind came forward again, and I thought ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible suicide bomber scenario

With the recent activity at the Pentagon this morning, a scenario which has been kicking around in my mind came forward again, and I thought I'd let people take a crack at it.

You are in a crowded public place (a mall, subway or bus stop, a 4th of July Fireworks Event etc.) Its an event or location where it is legal for you to carry, and you have your EDC with you.

While you are attending to your errands or enjoying the festivities, your SA suddenly warns you of a man, in his mid-20s to late 30s, wearing clothing which seems very baggy, and much too heavy for the current Summer weather. He seems nervous, is clenching and unclenching his fists, mumbling to himself, and/or otherwise seems to be in a state of great agitation.

Before you can alert a nearby LEO, or make a call to 911 about a suspicious person, he raises both hands above his head and yells something in a language you do not speak. He finishes with what sounds to you like "ALLAHU AKBAR!"

What do you do?

Possible variations/things to consider:

1. As he raises his hands, his coat comes open and you see what looks like wires and/or some kind of device.

2. As he raises his hands, you do NOT see anything that looks like wires/and or a device.

3. You are at a range where you would be comfortable taking a headshot.

4. You are at a range where you would only be comfortable taking a shot for center mass.

5. The background behind the individual is clear, no innocents are behind him.

6. The background IS NOT clear, there are numerous people behind him.

7. There is a LEO in the vicinity, but you are closer.

8. There is no LEO ANYWHERE in view.

Below is a link to a police shooting in Britain, where UK police mistakenly shot a Brazilian man they mistook for a suicide bombing suspect back in 2005. Man Shot Dead by British Police Was Innocent Brazilian Citizen - washingtonpost.com

Curious to see what people do with this thought experiment.

They yell Alluh Akbar as they detonate, and immediately before. You most likely aren't going to have time to draw and shoot, its a sad fact of life.

Distance is your best friend against someone with an SVEST. If I saw someone in the state you described, I would be exiting the area, very quickly, and calling the police. I have dealt with enough suicide bomber threats overseas, really, getting distance is the best plan.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What if he has a deadmans switch/trigger in his hand? I'd be getting the hell out of that place in a hurry. Grabbing my loved ones and running for the nearest exit. No head shot is worth me finding out if he has a deadmans switch or not! :)

I'm with Buckeye, escape quickly ASAP.
    SAnta01 likes this.
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

Senior Moderator
    Kenny Rogers once sang...

You gotta know when to hold them...
    Know when to fold em...
    know when to walk away...know when to run...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Agree with previous posters best course of action exit the area or try to get behind some sort of heavy cover.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25 View Post
    What if he has a deadmans switch/trigger in his hand? I'd be getting the hell out of that place in a hurry. Grabbing my loved ones and running for the nearest exit. No head shot is worth me finding out if he has a deadmans switch or not! :)

I'm with Buckeye, escape quickly ASAP.
    Yep, this is the best solution, under all described variations of the scenario.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    Another thing...if you ever studied up on the blast radius of the more typical suicide vests and car bombs, then you'll know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you are close enough to engage with a handgun,then you are too close and stand an excellent chance of being seriously hurt or even killed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I would see if I could take advantage of all available cover and outrun the rest of you.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Run.

Run thru the briars and run thru the brambles and RUN through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go!

and, if you're lucky, you'll survive.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I would see if I could take advantage of all available cover and outrun the rest of you.
    The cover will protect you from shrapnel, but if you are close enough, the blast wave will still rock your world, and can be lethal. Bombs kill in two ways, the force of the blast, and the stuff it makes fly through the air. We had a VBIED go off in Iraq, and it still rung people's bell who were a couple hundred meters off, and blew out most of the windows for the same distance. Granted, that was a couple hundred pounds, and a typical SVEST is more in the 20 pound range. But, distance is better than cover when it comes to explosives.

Also something to think about, is that some explosives mixtures are not very shock resistant, and most are even less so if the ratios or steps get messed up during manufacture. So if you are going to go for a COM shot, you better hope it is a shock resistant explosive that was made right, which it probably won't be, because it was probably made in a basement somewhere.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I agree with everyone else so far..."feet don't fail me now"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The cover will protect you from shrapnel, but if you are close enough, the blast wave will still rock your world, and can be lethal. Bombs kill in two ways, the force of the blast, and the stuff it makes fly through the air. We had a VBIED go off in Iraq, and it still rung people's bell who were a couple hundred meters off, and blew out most of the windows for the same distance. Granted, that was a couple hundred pounds, and a typical SVEST is more in the 20 pound range. But, distance is better than cover when it comes to explosives.

Also something to think about, is that some explosives mixtures are not very shock resistant, and most are even less so if the ratios or steps get messed up during manufacture. So if you are going to go for a COM shot, you better hope it is a shock resistant explosive that was made right, which it probably won't be, because it was probably made in a basement somewhere.

It was a joke. If I'm outrunning you, you become the available cover.
    10thmtn likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Thats a good song Oakchas...

they ran so fast that the hounds couldnt catch em, along the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico...
    SAnta01 likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    It was a joke. If I'm outrunning you, you become the available cover.
    "Rockbottom" you just reminded me...I once heard that a .22 pistol was the best bear defense weapon you could carry..."if you're charged you just shoot whoever is with you in the kneecap and run. Off topic, just thought I'd share
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25 View Post
    What if he has a deadmans switch/trigger in his hand?
    Suicide bombers favor toggle switches over deadman switches, as I understand it. The deadman switch has to be held closed or open until the place and time of chosen detonation, which introduces a fatigue factor. Also, the deadman is vulnerable to a bump or jostle closing the circuit before time.

Besides the possible bomber that makes you aware and focused, the possibility of a remote 'detonator' should also be considered. So even if there is time and opportunity to take a for-certain bomber out, they should still not be approached, but rather everyone should clear the area and EOD guys should be called in if possible.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links