Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

This is a discussion on Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i rather went to the downtown civic center type concerts way of thinking. they frisk & metal detect ua here in Hartford. i stopped going ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i rather went to the downtown civic center type concerts way of thinking. they frisk & metal detect ua here in Hartford. i stopped going long ago....well, with a group of 6 and as i know the area ( worked there all my adult life) we plan, plan b & c also...right down to which car we will drive (4-door & older...volvo's can be good for something after all). same MO for the theater: the ladies love it though its parking area is shared by the homeless shelter and the house of bread. great civic planning thus its an active area when the play lets out--have lots of singles to hand out cause 'they 'worked hard while you were inside protecting your car from the undesirables

as to retaliation,consider that if you mishandle the here and now, there may be no later.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

You know I have thought about the retaliation thing too. In fact, it's much more of a concern than the actual threat. I'm easy to find and vulnerable. So easy to pick off your kid as she walks home from school, etc.

First off, I guess about the best I can think of, is to stay out of scenerios and places that might be risky in the first place. That at least REDUCES your risk.

Then, evade if at all possible, or hope that the threat backs off when they realize you are armed. (I realize this isn't everyone's thinking, but I do believe that defensive display can stop some threats)

If things go bad, and you have to defend yourself, then I guess then just live life at "Red Alert" for at least the next 5 years. It's a whole new world today with the gangbangers.

TVJ
    First things first.

Survive the encounter.

If you are more worried about the aftermath, you compromise your ability to survive the encounter.

I suggest you get clear on this.

Moreover, train this scenario Fof with airsoft and a quality instructor. See how you really do under semi-stress. Bring your Sig Other or get someone to act as her. How do you defend her under "real" stress.

The guy in the video that got beat up had tons of time if he CC'ed to deal with them...even had the high ground right before they began to circle. There was no blind ambush. Complete telegraph

Heck, he could have just sprinted away, back to a main street. Instead he just kept walking...right into it...

That was beat feet sprint time for the uninitiated.

The Bottom Line: You are alive. As is your Significant Other. Congratulations.

Retaliation: You may (or not) have to move. Deal with it by finding and talking to real, High End Security Experts/Operators now if you are Really Bothered by this potential.

Pay their consulting fee to get your answers.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

No I would not move. Yes I would be more wary of my surroundings and family. Now that answer is with no children at home. I am sure my answer would be different if I had kids at home. Security lights, let my neighbors know, cameras, dog (doesn't have to be mean but wouldn't hurt) ect all would/could be used under that scenario. We already have a few extras on our home like the 3M film, extra long reinforced dead bolts, motion lights, dogs and the likes. Plus my wife is a better (hate to admit it) shot than I am and three times meaner! =)

what is 3M Film?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

I know everyone says not to be in bad places at bad times, but this can happen in the middle of the day too. I'm going to college in Milwaukee and I have to work on projects for school very late on a pretty regular basis. A lot of times, I have to walk back at 2-3AM.

Concealed carry is banned in Wisconsin right now, but a bill was just passed by the senate and it should be passed by the house this Tuesday (6/21) and signed by Gov. Walker shortly there-after. I attend a private college that is quite conservative. It does not have a weapons ban, but requires permission to have them. I will be having face-to-face conversations with some people about possibly changing the policy to allow concealed carry on campus. At the very least, its setup right now to allow it on an individual basis with permission.

I only have one year left before I graduate and I'm out of Milwaukee, but if a scenario like this happened to me and I was worried about retaliation, I would likely choose to stay in school for the rest of the year and not relocate. I don't have family living with me in Milwaukee, so I would only be worried about defending myself. I would switch my primary magazine on my XD9sc to the 16 rounder vs the 13 and carry a few spare magazines.

In the video, they initially came at him one by one. Being up on that ledge gave him a huge benefit, it took each of them an additional second or so to get up on it. I would be confident that I could engage them all, although I suspect after the bullets started flying at the first BG, the rest would flee.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Hummmm... well, due to my job I was threatened by people all the time, who meant it and had to be taken seriously. So, you get used to being "aware" of all those around you, where you sit, securing your house, etc. But, in all honesty, most often if it's truly a serious gang... they may do something.... but I never saw that as a reason to cower down. Instead, I kept well armed. Once they realize you aren't living in fear, they either try to shoot at you or move on to other adventures, as their attention span isn't that long. Typically, it's the later...... their interest in you (unless they are a relative), is short lived.

But, it does happen. A friend of mine , just sat on the porch "cleaning his shotgun" when they drove by ..... after some gangers beat his son nearly to death for the fun of it while he was out on a date one night (much like the scenario you describe). They were trying to intimidate him & his family so he would not testify. He testified. That much more reason TO testify. They all went away after those responsible went to prison.

An LEO arrested a couple of gangers on drug charges, and was threatened by his relatives they would get even. He was called to check out a theft report at a house, and the guy's brother layed hidden in waiting with a 30-30 rifle, and shot and killed him. An "officer down" call went out by him (he died on the way to the hospital) and a couple of SWAT officers (while searching the area for him) encountered the shooter , and there was no need for a trial.

But, at what point do you decide to not stand up for what's right or defend yourself, or do we just surrender to the thugs and admit everyone is helpless ?? I refuse to be intimidated.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I haven't read every word of this thread, but let me say this - violence, as depicted in the video, is rarely random. If one is not dealing with drugs or gambling or petty crimes, then he has little to worry about. But when it is completely random, violence comes with very little warning.

Carrying a weapon is great, but one must train his mind to deal with violent situations. Avoidance is key, and will help in most situations. However, one must be ready to react with extreme violence when necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    what is 3M Film?
    Security film on the windows. Makes it much harder to come through a window - takes more time and makes lots of noise.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    what is 3M Film?
    Its a safety film you add to your window like tint but makes your window all but unbreakable.
    3M Window Films for Safety, Security and Energy Efficiency

Ours is not bullet proof/resistant but it does offer peace of mind while I work all night and the wife is home alone.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Good replies. Situational awareness and the alternative to retribution come to mind.
    1)Situational awareness: You put yourself in a bad situation you pretty much end up with a problem. Nothing (no restaurant, no club, no ball game, no nothing) is worth being on a dark street with your wife in a bad part of town and having to come to grips with this kind of scenario.
    2)Retribution: If you are thinking about retribution when you find yourself with a strong persumption of imminent death or great bodily injury, you had better rethink your reason for CC. There is NO alternative for you other than your demise.

VIP Member
    In the scenario given, 1 warning to back off is all they will get. There will be no second warning, no brandishing my gun.... once they make it clear they intend on harm and didn't heed my warning, I do what I have to, to defend myself and loved ones. Even the warning is kind of useless, since when and if they find the other members of the gang, you already know the story will be "We's wa jus walkin down da stret when dis crazi guy start shootn at us".

As for retaliation. I'm not worried about it. First off, they are spineless scum, who look for an easy target to go after. Tehy already have learned you don't fall into that category. Secondly, my wife and both of my son's (although they live no where near) carry. Third, if they come to my house for coffee and donuts, they better be the one bringing them. I have all the creamer they could ever ask for there!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

great responses guys. everyone of your opinions meanns a lot and is great to consider.

In no way am I saying I'm scared or afraid to engage a threat. I just think about what happens after.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

three words: DISPARITY OF FORCE..........

that would be no different than being attacked by a pack of rabid Pit-Bulls, IMHO.......

draw, fire, repeat until threat is over........

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    three words: DISPARITY OF FORCE..........

that would be no different than being attacked by a pack of rabid Pit-Bulls, IMHO.......

draw, fire, repeat until threat is over........

i'm with bruce, 6 or 8 or 4 come at me, we aint talkin about nuthin, they will see the shiny s/s of my pistol and can turnaround and runaway or die, it's that simple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links