Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO) - Page 3

Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

This is a discussion on Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One man who defended himself against thugs on more than one occasion finally secluded himself from the world (for the most part), as the last ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

One man who defended himself against thugs on more than one occasion finally secluded himself from the world (for the most part), as the last bunch were "gangers"... and threatened retaliation against him and his clientele. Lance Thomas video link

What somebody else (concealed carrying) did during an attempted robbery (of himself and wife on the street) back in 1980 or so. Long read, but worth it

I refuse to be a victim...but you aren't going to be able to carry at any large event like a concert or an NFL game... You'll most likely get wanded... OTOH, while some say that no entertainment is worth the risk of going to "bad places" at "bad times," I don't want my freedoms curtailed by thugs who claim to "own" the streets.

Bad things can happen anywhere at any time. People get mugged, raped, beaten, etc. in very public parks (and other places) in broad daylight. Are you increasing your chances of being assaulted if you go to the "bad places" to hear or see entertainment that you cannot otherwise see? Probably. But, if you act like you don't belong or have a right to be there, you advertise your "otherness" and it is that which puts you more at risk.

As to fear of retaliation... I too, live in the sticks. "Bring it," I'm prepared for it. I will not hesitate to defend my rights to life liberty, happiness; and secure in my person, house, papers, and effects.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    There are some interesting anectdotes. Gangs' stock in trade is intimidation. Fighting shows that you're not a sheep. Fight and live to fight another day.
    Have no fear of the good guys. Aftermath of the gang attack would be fairly obvious and legally defensibile - not to mention the existing criminal records of any associates. So Evidence would be in defender's favor. Not worried about that because the good guys may be sympathetic with first-hand experience of the same type of threat.

The point is that you are not alone and should not feel that you are and should take advantage of resources to train from the pros.

My personal favorite of replies to the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    First things first.

Survive the encounter.

If you are more worried about the aftermath, you compromise your ability to survive the encounter.

I suggest you get clear on this.

Moreover, train this scenario Fof with airsoft and a quality instructor. See how you really do under semi-stress. Bring your Sig Other or get someone to act as her. How do you defend her under "real" stress.

The guy in the video that got beat up had tons of time if he CC'ed to deal with them...even had the high ground right before they began to circle. There was no blind ambush. Complete telegraph

Heck, he could have just sprinted away, back to a main street. Instead he just kept walking...right into it...

That was beat feet sprint time for the uninitiated.

The Bottom Line: You are alive. As is your Significant Other. Congratulations.

Retaliation: You may (or not) have to move. Deal with it by finding and talking to real, High End Security Experts/Operators now if you are Really Bothered by this potential.

Pay their consulting fee to get your answers.
    If confronted with serious threat of retaliation in the aftermath of self defense, continue your successful training habits including more training to be aware of being watched (Surveillance Awareness) and covering your safety zone (reactionary gap) better, considering ways of being less predictable and learning simple rules to practice in recognizing possible threats in the form of a person or people (it takes only one to put you in Condition Orange) suspiciously out of place.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Its videos like this that anger me in the sense that, this is why we have to carry. Its a sick world out there, and quiet honestly, I am tired of it. But animals will be animals.
    That set aside, I'd like to think if I was presented with such a situation that I be more worried about being carried by 6 then be wondering if people will come after me. I agree with most people that some times its just not worth it. I chose not to go to a bad area not out of fear, but out of the simple fact of why. I'd rather see thugs or whatever you want to call them, feed off beating up each other. Its a part of the city area or w/e these days, sad but true. You can chose to be part of it or chose to stay away from it. As for me, unless I was driven into such a area, I refuse to go. Say Im in fear or w/e you want...but just think of this.......would you kick a hornets nest for the hell of it? I bet the bees will sting you til you die. Just something to think about.
    ;

Here's the bottom line. No one who is a responsible ccw holder knowingly goes looking for trouble. And we all rely on situational awareness to try and steer us away from potential trouble. Enough said on that.

But now, trouble has found you, and you find yourself in the middle of a situation like in the video. You're likely going to have to shoot some bad guys. We all know we don't want to do it, and we all know, we never want to have to pull your gun, blah, blah, blah. But in this case, say you've shot two of them and the rest fled the scene.

I'm assuming you are not going to be charged in such an obvious justifiable use of lethal force situation. Still more than likely you are eventually going to be identified all over the news and newspapers. So the ones who got away are going to find out where you live.

So now, you are worried about retribution. Okay so here we are. It is something you are going to have to deal with. Plain and simple. It would be a poor decision to try and ignore it an hope nothing comes to pass. And things may never come to pass as far as retribution goes. But you'd be foolish not to prepare for it.

Which means, you should do whatever you can to harden your defenses both at home and when out on the street. People tend to blow off making their home more secure because they'd rather spend their money on recreation. They want big screen tv's, video games, jet ski's and the like, rather than spend their money on security lighting for the home, fortified storm security doors and quality dead bolts or even a moderate alarm system.

Likewise goes for their firearms training. Most people would rather spend their money on vacations and other toys than go to a gunfighting school or spend money on training and gunfight tactics. And then when they do have that once in a lifetime event, they are way behind the curve trying to play catch-up with those who have spent a lifetime learning and preparing for such events.

So, you've got a group of gang bangers threatening retribution. Well, you'll have to either deal with it as best you can and hope for the best or you get-got. I can assure you, some of those bandito's play for keeps and others can be just so much talk.

There are no easy answers. It all depends on how much you want to prepare and when you want to start preparing. I will say, the more you know, the more you learn, the more you practice, the better off you are facing any situation. That's the way it is for all aspects of life, not just self defense.

I would say the average ccw permit holder spends just enough money to get their permit, and then practice at a static range very infrequently. They pretty much budget zero dollars out of their discretionary budget on personal security. And only go shooting once in a while. I may be wrong on that, but I doubt I'm too far off the mark. I know for a fact that a lot of ccw holders never renew their permit after the first expiration date. Of all the ccw permit holders in every state, the number of people who even belong to this forum is way way in the minority. In my county there is only approximately 400 permit holders out of a population of 22,000 residents. To my knowledge only 2 of us are members here. And I introduced the other to the forum.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links