Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

This is a discussion on Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, this is my first post to the site. This type of scenario has been on my mind for a long time, and was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

Walk home after a game (WITH VIDEO)

Hey guys, this is my first post to the site. This type of scenario has been on my mind for a long time, and was hoping I could get everyone to sound off on how they feel about it.

Me and my girlfriend are walking home from a game/venue/event in the city. The game let out late and we Were minding our own business walking back to the car when these thugs from this youtube video pop out and start harassing my girl.
    Warning: Graphic Video
    YouTube Beating: Richmond, VA Beating Posted to YouTube - wtvr

I want no trouble (and NEVER want or plan to pull out my weapon) so I keep walking at a fast pace with my girl. Then I picture all the thugs swarming me like they did the guy in the youtube video. I then access the situation, warn, brandish, and pull out my weapon. Two charge me and I drop the first two, as the others scream threats and vulgarity and take off. I immediately call the police and head to the station.

During press release/pre-trial and trial, my name and/or picture gets out and these guys search and find where me or my family lives....
    What to do? You know if they are gang members they will probably be out for revenge. I couldnt imagine living my life paranoid and watching my back for the rest of my life. I have a successful and seated life in which I'm involved in my community. Do you just move?

probably paranoid, but this very thought has kept me reserved about concealed carry. I know its better to worry about this issue then to not be able to defend yourself, but its still in the back of my mind.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Here's my take...

I'm an old man who probably wouldn't be walking late at night in a bad place, but let's just say I ended up like that guy as I was walking to my car.
    The first words directed towards me would be met with some loud, "Back off, I want no trouble"...I would repeat the warning with some 'adjectives included'...something those Italian fellows would understand."
    I may try and cross the street, but if I am still followed and then told (in pretty clear ghetto English) that my arse is getting attacked...Mr. Glock will do all my talking. Never pick a fight with an old man.
    Street scum like this do not value life, nor do they show mercy to anyone they can out number. They deserve nothing but a quick and violent answer. The earth is better off without them...OMOYMV

If I had more time, I'd tell you how I really feel.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank you for the repsonse, but how would you feel about the thought of them retaliating against you or your loved ones?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

VIP Member
    Don't do stupid things
    Don't hang with stupid people
    Don't go to stupid places.

The guy in the video did at least 1 of these 3 things. Granted, not doing any of those things is not a guarantee of safety, but it does help your chances and will most likely result in not having to deal with gangs. The guys in the video were acting like animals. I imagine, given the quality of the video, that the cops did not have much trouble rounding them up.

The video does not represent a game or event letting out, it is 1 guy walking alone in a deserted part of town. This is not a good idea, as he found out.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Having a bunch of dudes beat the hell out of is not fun. Yes, it's best to avoid bad parts of town, but some people have to be there due to work or something. One must stay alert to avoid these type of situations, but if you think that a bunch of dudes are going to attack you, then you have to defend yourself. Kill 'em all if need be.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Yes, it's best to avoid bad parts of town, but some people have to be there due to work or something. One must stay alert to avoid these type of situations, but if you think that a bunch of dudes are going to attack you, then you have to defend yourself.
    I agree, sometimes some people have to be in less than desirable places. That was not, however, the situation posited by the OP. He was suggesting more of an entertainment motive.

If I had to be in the area pictured in the video, I would not want to be carrying a pocket piece, J-frame or other small trendy piece, a 1911 would even be marginal for that situation. If you are going to go to arms, you better have enough to give everybody the attention they are so obviously craving.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    he did a number of wrong things, things someone with training in SA with or w/out a gun would not have done. this is a poor example of what a right minded individual should be in fear of.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VERBAL JUDO,at first sign they are targeting you and start closing in,Stay Back Your starting to scare me,thats close enough I don't want any trouble,if they get within 20 feet hands going to grip and more serious "Back the F off",with a large group of people there is a disparity of force and I'm not waiting to get hit or blindsided,If they don't back off after being warned several times,an ordinary person would,then IMHO they are either really stupid or wanting to do me harm,If they continue to close after several warnings and in fear for my safety I will stop the nearest threat,and scan for the next threat,until the threat is over and I'm calling 911 I was just attacked by a mob and had to defend myself,I need Police and Paramedics here now,X number of injured perps
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    Thank you for the repsonse, but how would you feel about the thought of them retaliating against you or your loved ones?
    My loved ones would definitely NOT be with me in a place like that, but attacked in a parking lot with the wife or grandkids?...the ghetto thugs probably would get a very short/thin warning prior to a call to the coroner.
    DON"T mess with my grandkids...
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know SA and instinct would obviously never lead me or any other members of the site into that situation. The reason I added the scenario of me and my girlfriend coming home from a game/concert/venue is because, where we live, most of these occur in the inner city.

For instance, NFL games. The stadium is in the dead center of crackville. Its full of families, loved ones, friends, smiles, and police officers directing traffic. However, when the event is over, all of these are gone, the sun is down, and the meth heads are off the leash. Often, you're forced to park up to 2 miles away in some back lot. Not fun. I saw this video and it made me think of how possible it is for me or my girlfriend to get involved in a situation like this.

An example of this type of scenario I witnessed first hand on New Years Eve this year. My girlfriend and I and her father decided to take the public subway into the heart of the city for the annual ball drop. They said there was an estyimated 175,000 people there. I have never and pray to never be in a situation like that again. For the entire night you did not have enough body space to raise your arms. My girlfriend clung to me and was scared the whole night. It was nothing but packs of 30-40 people all wearing the same colors, screaming, yelling, fighting, etc.

At 12:03 am Jan. 1, 2011 all hell broke loose. Suddeny there was pushing, mobbing, fighting, screaming for 175,000 people to go up one stairwell and out of the city on one street. There were hundreds of police officers standing on top of walls, roofs looking down. I was beside one when he screamed "WEVE GOT A 22! 22! WEVE GOT A 22!" as he's pointing to my left. As I look, there are about 5-6 people fighting with the crowd circling around them. The fight turned into 8-10.....to 12-15.....to about 25-30 people fighting. The cops ran in and were clubbing people, people were kicking and punching the cops from behind.... it was MADNESS. All 175,000 people apparently rode the subway there, so everyone was rushing to get out. In the entire subway station you could not see 1 inch of concrete because of the mass of people. Were were walking/being pushed forward, when everyone parts and walks around something. As we pass, its about an 8ftx8ft puddle of blood trailed for about 15 feet.

We finally got shoved onto a train and made it home. THANK GOD. Next morning on the news, a 16 year old was executed in the subway over a cell phone he didnt steal. I must've passed it minutes after it happened as there were no police or paramedics there yet.

Never again
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post

During press release/pre-trial and trial, my name and/or picture gets out and these guys search and find where me or my family lives....
    What to do? You know if they are gang members they will probably be out for revenge. I couldnt imagine living my life paranoid and watching my back for the rest of my life. I have a successful and seated life in which I'm involved in my community. Do you just move?
    I think we are missing Trainercb's real concern. Rather that speculating on how you would handle the confrontation, I am very interested in hearing how people suggest dealing with the aftermath.

This is a genuine concern to me. I was foreman on a jury that levied the death sentence on the defendant, and was threatened with retaliation by this vermin's family and friends, after the local media kindly printed my name and photo in the paper. The authorities did nothing more than say "thank you for doing your service, see you later." As it so happened, the opportunity came up with my firm for a promotion and transfer. Did I take it, you bet your sweet ass I did. I was very fortunate. Not everyone in this kind of situation would have that opportunity.

I, for one, am interested in suggestions how one could deal with trainercb's situation - it wasn't so hypothetical to me.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    First off, I live out in the STICKS, so this is hypothetical for me. But the first thought that comes to my mind, regarding the worry of the possibility of retaliation is this: In the first part of the scenario, you, I, we, ---we do what we have to to preserve the life of our loved ones--if that means we draw, shoot and kill multiple BG's, well, then we did what was absolutely necessary AT THAT POINT.

Then, we deal with what comes next. If I need to ask the DA for wittness protection, so be it; if I need to arm myself and family like Clint EAstwood, then so be it; if I have to move to keep my family safe, then so be it. Whatever it takes. We cannot control what comes down the road at us, we just have to decide how to deal with it when "it" comes (whether an angry gang, cancer, motor vehicle accident)--we just deal with it.
    gruntingfrog likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If, despite your best efforts, you end up in a scenario like that - the priority is to survive it. Deal with potential repercussions later. How much of a 'hard-target' are you able and willing to make yourself and your loved ones? Sometimes moving is the only viable option (and still no guarantees).

But you have to survive the initial encounter first.
    TVJ likes this.

[QUOTE=Chaplain Scott;[/QUOTE]

Oh, the irony. One of the gentlemen on the jury with me was a Baptist minister.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

highpockets, thank you for replying to my post. I'm sorry the incident happened to you, but am even happier for you that you were blessed with such an opportunity. Do you know if any of the other jurors had any issues with the threats?

Everyone please comment on the "what happens next" in a completely justifiable homicide. Whats the next step?
    -George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links