You're Both Wounded: What is your priority? - Page 2

You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

This is a discussion on You're Both Wounded: What is your priority? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First priority is to stop the threat. Per your scenario that seems to to have been accomplished even though the best outcome wasn't met. Next ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

First priority is to stop the threat. Per your scenario that seems to to have been accomplished even though the best outcome wasn't met.

Next is to get help rolling. Call 911 get the cavalry coming. The golden hour has started. Don't waist it.

The OODA loop should never stop until the lights go out. If the threat resumes then back to the fight, if not keep as observant as possible till help arrives.

If things fade to gray you'll have to have faith that who ever wakes first will be the right one and the other will be where they should be.

Shooting after the threat is down and you are injured seriously is risky at best, as long as you are alive you are still responsible for every round that leaves the barrel. If you are feeling weak and light headed can you still be sure enough that you won't endanger others down range?

Heh, never say never. Altho I subscribe to shoot to stop, I am in a position where I cannot verify or maintain the attacker being stopped. I'm "checking to see if I need to reload" by making sure that attacker isnt coming after me when I pass out....and I'm already mostly incapacitated. That gun in their hand means they are still a threat. Or if they're already dead, then those additional shots didnt kill 'em.

Then call 911, making sure to DESCRIBE MYSELF. Then apply whatever first aid I can.

As for people down range, if they're not helping me...maybe they're with him. Or they are people 'who dont want to get involved.' Either way....I'll take the best shots I can at ground level.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

sgb
    I'm going to do my best to put a round in the other guys head, dig out my phone and dial 911 while applying pressure to the wound ........ all while I continue praying.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Well now...

Great answers IMO from anyone who's never been shot. That adrenalin dump everyone talks about works wonders. My first priority in that or similar situation would to get the flock out of dodge... I'd probably be a lot more worried about me at this point. I'd probably do my best to move, and get myself some medical help. Although IMO if your gut shot, and still concious after a minute... you may not be as bad as you think. IMO the trick is to keep yourself from going into shock. MOVE!!! make concious decisions... keep moving... dont even consider giving up.

Spuk!
    limatunes likes this.

Senior Moderator
    My first priority is to LIVE.

If I have to shoot again to guarantee that, so be it.
    If I have to pull a plug of grass out of the ground to tamp it in my bleeding hole, that is what I will do.
    I will do whatever it takes to give the advantage to ME at the time. If I have to crawl 10 miles to get to an ER I will not stop until I get there or pass out trying.

At that point the only thing that matters is survival.

All else will come later.
    TVJ likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I'm down and wounded, he's down as well and I have no way of knowing his condition. In my mind he's still a threat and will be treated as such. After that I'd attempt to stop the bleeding while calling 911.

Then as glockman10mm said, make peace with God, since you may very well be in his hands sooner than you hoped.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What's the point in trying to patch yourself up if he sits up and puts another couple in your chest? Definitely end the threat beyond doubt then deal with your gsw.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I'm not wasting any time on a downed and immobile threat. If I'm conscious enough to realize that he's stopped his attack then I no longer give a flying hoot for him.

I've been rendered unconscious a few times in my life, once from low blood pressure exaggerated by blood loss due to an incompetent doctor.

Every time I have lost consciousness it has come faster than I thought it would and I've learned I only have mere second to act if I'm going to get anything done before the lights go out. I once tried to "talk myself out" of passing out by acting tough and I was down just as fast and it turns out I got more hurt by the fall than if I had admitted what was happening and laid down myself. The only thing that buys a few seconds when that close to unconsciousness is getting more blood to the head.

I agree that several things can be done simultaneously in this scenario but, for me, my priority is to get help on the way. If I don't make contact with help it may mean time lost that I don't have. I can call 911 and put the phone on speaker and try my hardest to buy myself a few more seconds of consciousness by getting more blood to my head and begin finding anything to patch my wound with. If I can move I'll try to do that. As HotGuns said, my priority is ME!! and staying alive.

If the bad guy starts moving and I'm still conscious then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In my current condition I'm sure it would hit me pretty hard that my unborn child may be lost.

And as an aside.. I've already got things squared with God so all I'll be asking for is His help to get me back to my family and maybe a miracle for our unborn baby.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Well now...

Great answers IMO from anyone who's never been shot. That adrenalin dump everyone talks about works wonders. My first priority in that or similar situation would to get the flock out of dodge... I'd probably be a lot more worried about me at this point. I'd probably do my best to move, and get myself some medical help. Although IMO if your gut shot, and still concious after a minute... you may not be as bad as you think. IMO the trick is to keep yourself from going into shock. MOVE!!! make concious decisions... keep moving... dont even consider giving up.

Spuk!
    In 1991 while working cash in transit I took a round through the hips and groin severing the right side femoral artery and partially severing the sciatic nerve. I finished the fight, got in the truck under my own power and pinched off pressure points in my groin to the luckily short ride to the ER. By the grace of the good Lord and some OUTSTANDING ER personnel I'm still here. You will react as you train and mindset is everything.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    He's not moving but he still has a gun in his hand and you're not sure if he's alive or not.
    What if it looked to you like he was still alive and still moving?

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    In 1991 while working cash in transit I took a round through the hips and groin severing the right side femoral artery and partially severing the sciatic nerve. I finished the fight, got in the truck under my own power and pinched off pressure points in my groin to the luckily short ride to the ER. By the grace of the good Lord and some OUTSTANDING ER personnel I'm still here. You will react as you train and mindset is everything.
    Wow, God Bless you are still here! Well done fighting on for your life.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I finished the fight, got in the truck under my own power and pinched off pressure points in my groin to the luckily short ride to the ER.
    Hi SGB and thanks for sharing your experience. I am wondering what exactly "finished the fight" means...what exactly happened before you got into the truck? If that's too much detail then that's fine too.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Hi SGB and thanks for sharing your experience. I am wondering what exactly "finished the fight" means...what exactly happened before you got into the truck? If that's too much detail then that's fine too.
    The individual that shot me was rendered inert and his trip to the ER didn't end as well as mine.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd call for help while keeping an eye on him, ready to shoot, if necessary. As for rendering him first aid, forget it. I value my life over his. If he dies, he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Personally, I'm not wasting any time on a downed and immobile threat. If I'm conscious enough to realize that he's stopped his attack then I no longer give a flying hoot for him.
    Lima, I'm not saying that is a flawed assumption, but it is an assumption.

A lot of people have been killed by foe's they thought were no longer a threat or were mortally wounded.

I may be mortally wounded myself, at this point, but I'm damn sure going to guarantee he's mortally dead before I feel safe enough to try and save myself.

It takes what... an extra second to put a round or two in his head. As I become weaker by the minute, I can't afford to have him coming back and trying to finish me off 2 or 3 minutes from now when I may be too weak to respond. I'll take the extra second now and make sure he's no longer a threat. You made it quite clear in the OP "He still has his gun in his hand!" Never assume anything!
    JDE101 and tcox4freedom like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links