You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

This is a discussion on You're Both Wounded: What is your priority? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess it should have been not getting shot but given the situation i suppose put a couple more in him and call 911...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

I guess it should have been not getting shot but given the situation i suppose put a couple more in him and call 911

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Never assume anything!
    I agree. But, for me, that would include not assuming he's still a threat if he's not.

As I said, if you have reason to think your life is still in danger (and this goes for me too) then, yeah, do whatever you feel necessary. But if I felt he was no longer a threat then I would not waste any more time worrying about him. I'll stay conscious of him but he's no longer my priority. As I said in the original post, you don't know whether he's alive or dead. He very well could already be dead so there is no need to keep defending if he's not going to get back up. Sure, he still has a gun but if he's not alive to use it it's not doing him any good and it's not threatening me. If he is still alive he's not conscious or not able or unwilling to continue his fight... all fine with me. I'm going to start worrying about me. As said, if I still felt threatened I'd do whatever I felt necessary at the time.

In that kind of a scenario I'm taking things as they come and, as the scenario is written, the hand I have been dealt is that I'm wounded, I'm probably going to be going out any second unless something changes and my priority is ME! I'm getting help on the way and trying to control my wounds. If a threat re-presents itself I'll deal with it then. I'm not assuming anything, only taking things on the evidence before me.

Gun in hand makes him a threat to me. Especially when that one just shot me! I'm going to finish what was started with a Double Tap.

Threat gone, I dial 911 while getting into the shock position (elevated feet, etc). I dont have that blood clotting stuff (good idea, but I dont have it) so I'd have to wait until the EMS folks arrive.

I've been right with God for over 20 years, and I fear only 1 thing and that is God not man, for it is God that saved me and God that will take me home.

Revelations 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."
    Want you invite him in so you can know you are saved as well? :)
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

If he's inert, and I'm certain of it, it's all about me.

If I'm not certain, I will do my utmost to make certain.

Someone said "gut shot is bad shot." That's what I've heard, too. I've been pretty badly wounded before... and "shocky" but fought thru maintaining a flow slowing tourniquet until EMS arrived. If I can, I'll pack the wound, that's prolly the best I can do... and I've already called 911 on my cel. If my cel is not available.... well, I'm right with my maker, and I'll be glad to go home.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    For whatever reason you have gotten into an altercation with a single individual that lead to gunshots being exchanged. Despite your super tactical training you've managed to take at least one shot to the gut and subsequently fallen to the ground in a considerable amount of pain.

You notice, however, that your attacker is also down. He's not moving but he still has a gun in his hand and you're not sure if he's alive or not. You also are not sure how many shots you fired or he fired and how much ammo is left in either your gun or his. He may or may not come to at any moment. No witnesses were around to call 911 in your stead and you are losing a lot of blood.

Moving your lower half is difficult and excruciatingly painful and you feel light headed/on the edge of unconsciousness.

What do you do?

Try to get away? Call for help? Try to render self aide? What is your order of priorities?
    In this situation my order of priorities is:

1 - ME
    2 - My cat.
    3 - The barista at starbucks who slips me flavor shots in my coffee for free.
    4 - Hot, available women (excluding any who were shooting at me)

Note, the attacker isn't on the agenda for assistance.

Should I see the attacker do anything in any manner I could interpret as hostile, I take appropriate action consistant with the laws of lethal force in my area, and the tactical/situational guidelines of securing the situation before proceeding to render aid to myself or anyone else.

The red cross teaches to secure the situation before administering aid...and we should listen to the red cross.

After all, you wouldn't want to violate safe, responsible guidelines for first aid, would you?

No...of course you wouldn't. Because that would be stooooopid.

In case you are getting confused...if I'm wounded and need to save myself, and their is a person who was shot me is exposed without cover, FRONT SIGHT- PRESS and pop goes the mellon like an overripe tomato, then self aid.
    The law requires you to be reasonable in your actions for the situation you are in. If you are spraying blood due to being shot and you still have an attacker to deal with who may be armed, may or may not be shot and still a threat, your "reasonable" is a whole hell of a lot more broad, cold and ruthless than it was when the whole deal started.
    TSiWRX likes this.

I'll also add this...

"Dead men" have killed a lot of people. Depending on the situation, we call them Medal of Honor material...or scumbag bullet sponges.

Depends on which side of the line you and they are on at any given time.

I carry 17 rounds of 9mm, so it would take a lot of shooting to empty me out. I also have a loaded chamber indicator, so if that says I'm loaded, I might just drop the mag and see how many I have left, depending on the situation and how alive he does or doesn't look. After that I'm calling 911 and trying to get some distance. If I pass out, so be it, but there are some potentially horrible repercussions to shooting a person that's not moving.

Granted, there's a lot of factors there that could influence a decision like that. Does he appear to be breathing? Is he still twitching or making minor body movements, like he's just in a daze? How many times and where was he hit? etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I live my life by the rules set forth in Tarantino films. It is also completely possible for a woman to survive being shot in the head with a .45, wake up from a coma and kill 50 or 60 men in a sword fight, then survive getting buried alive.
    Yeah and lets not forget how often John McClane and Riggs have been able to get up after being shot. Heck they would just stuff a sock in the hole in their belly, crawl to a street light, pull them self upright, and by then they would be strong enough to kick the gun out of the bad guy's hand, grab him by the arm and drag him to the nearest dunp truck, lift him in, drive him to the police station. If he comes to during the drive they punch him in the face and make a smart remark. When they get to the police station they joke around with, or scream obsenities at the guy at the door depending on whether he's a good cop or a bad cop.
    Riana likes this.

If he still has the gun in his hand I am pretty sure he is dead. I have shot him enough pretty much insure that.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm not going to "think" or "assume" anything as long as he still has a gun in hand. I personally want to insure there is no possible way for a BG to wake up and finish me off if I do slip into unconsciousness.

SO-

If I'm conscious, I'm going to disarm him; OR give him a new ventilation hole in his head before I tend to my wounds. This is really the only way to "secure" the situation until help arrives.

If he's no longer moving I might not shoot him again. But, I have seen enough shooting victims go in & out of consciousness to know that a "possible" threat still exists UNLESS the person is dead or to weak to continue. It is amazing how combative a person can remain during a drug or adrenalin high.

-

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I agree. But, for me, that would include not assuming he's still a threat if he's not.

As I said, if you have reason to think your life is still in danger (and this goes for me too) then, yeah, do whatever you feel necessary. But if I felt he was no longer a threat then I would not waste any more time worrying about him. I'll stay conscious of him but he's no longer my priority. As I said in the original post, you don't know whether he's alive or dead. He very well could already be dead so there is no need to keep defending if he's not going to get back up. Sure, he still has a gun but if he's not alive to use it it's not doing him any good and it's not threatening me. If he is still alive he's not conscious or not able or unwilling to continue his fight... all fine with me. I'm going to start worrying about me. As said, if I still felt threatened I'd do whatever I felt necessary at the time.

In that kind of a scenario I'm taking things as they come and, as the scenario is written, the hand I have been dealt is that I'm wounded, I'm probably going to be going out any second unless something changes and my priority is ME! I'm getting help on the way and trying to control my wounds. If a threat re-presents itself I'll deal with it then. I'm not assuming anything, only taking things on the evidence before me.
    If I was down with a gunshot wound and so was he, I don't think I'd waste any time making sure he wouldn't come back around. My fear is that I'd be rendered unconscious, and if the BG somehow regained consciousness, he wouldn't be so kind to me.
    It would be unfortunate to have a survivable gun wound only to pass out and be fatally wounded by my attacker who I thought was down. (Double Tap is "Rule #2" in the movie Zombieland for a reason!)
    After threat is no longer one, call 911, and as everyone else said, give a discription of myself so I'm not mistaken with the special human who just tried killing me.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Gut shot is bad shot.

I am going to make sure that there is no longer a threat to me from this individual.

I am calling 911 on my cell phone to give info on my location, my description as the victim, my injury and a description of my assailant.

Tough to give first aid on a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Leaving the scene if possible depends on where I am at. It may well be better to stay if I am in a friendly environment.

I want EMS to find me ASAP.
    i agree. Ive never been shot before, but I can assume that moving is probably going to be limited. Call 911 first before you pass out, tell location first. Should I pass out, I want the EMTs and police to know where I am. The rest is in Gods hands from there.

I want to go out knowing I got the guy that got me so I ventilate him a few more times then call 911

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I also think this would be a good time to make sure things were square between me and my creator....just sayin.
    ...and then make sure the dirtbag who shot me, IS GOING to meet his creator.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All you guys who shoot the perp after he's down may get to share the same cell with him if you both live. Or maybe share a cell with some of his friends if he dont survive. You can NOT try to exicute your adversary. What some are describing is in some circles known as a security round. Make sure that particular B.G dont come back on you... Nope... cant do that in the civilian world.
    Ursus likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links