You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

This is a discussion on You're Both Wounded: What is your priority? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For whatever reason you have gotten into an altercation with a single individual that lead to gunshots being exchanged. Despite your super tactical training you've ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

Senior Moderator

You're Both Wounded: What is your priority?

For whatever reason you have gotten into an altercation with a single individual that lead to gunshots being exchanged. Despite your super tactical training you've managed to take at least one shot to the gut and subsequently fallen to the ground in a considerable amount of pain.

You notice, however, that your attacker is also down. He's not moving but he still has a gun in his hand and you're not sure if he's alive or not. You also are not sure how many shots you fired or he fired and how much ammo is left in either your gun or his. He may or may not come to at any moment. No witnesses were around to call 911 in your stead and you are losing a lot of blood.

Moving your lower half is difficult and excruciatingly painful and you feel light headed/on the edge of unconsciousness.

What do you do?

Try to get away? Call for help? Try to render self aide? What is your order of priorities?

2. Remove Ads

First I do a reload, making sure if he comes to I can continue. I have skatter tape on my weapon to make it easier to do weapons manipulations with wet, bloody hands. I will apply pressure with my reaction hand and try to get away from the danger. In my normal cover carb, I were two tee shirts, I will cut away a make shift tourniquet and apply. Then I will seek any help that I can find.

1. Reload, making sure the threat is no longer a threat
    2. Get the bleeding stopped as best as I can.
    3. Get away from the seen..
    4. Try to find help.

I put a couple or 15 more in him and call 911.
    WHEC724, Guantes and garyacman like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My priority is based on self-preservation, so even though I'm wounded I'd still be focused on the threat. I have no way to know my adversary isn't just playing possum. If I have ammo left, I'm going for a head shot if I can manage it before I pass out from blood loss or pain. Then, some form of self-aid if possible.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    1. Reload, making sure the threat is no longer a threat
    2. Get the bleeding stopped as best as I can.
    3. Get away from the seen..
    4. Try to find help.
    Wow! This is a tough one. I tend to agree with the above, generally. However, given some of the points in the scenario,

"He's not moving but he still has a gun in his hand and you're not sure if he's alive or not. ..... He may or may not come to at any moment. No witnesses were around to call 911 in your stead and you are losing a lot of blood.

Moving your lower half is difficult and excruciatingly painful and you feel light headed/on the edge of unconsciousness."

I think I might just feel the need to put a couple more rounds into him to ensure the threat is over before I lost consciousness! I certainly don't want to lose consciousness while the bad guy has a gun in his hand and might "wake up" to find me unconscious! Especially if there are no witnesses around to render assistance or call 911.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Gut shot is bad shot.

I am going to make sure that there is no longer a threat to me from this individual.

I am calling 911 on my cell phone to give info on my location, my description as the victim, my injury and a description of my assailant.

Tough to give first aid on a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Leaving the scene if possible depends on where I am at. It may well be better to stay if I am in a friendly environment.

I want EMS to find me ASAP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I also think this would be a good time to make sure things were square between me and my creator....just sayin.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i yell --CALL POLICE-- even in my buttoned shirt pocket my cell hears me and will voice dial. if its winter, than I've got a problem.
    and painful as it is, i must reach into my left coat pocket for my cell and 642.

i can't abide your not knowing how many shots fired cause: its something I've always done and something many IDPA players do also--count your shots. its a sub-conscious thing
    but i always know how many fired/how many left.
    i can't reload anyways cause i do not carry extra mags.

but, by your scenario-- i do have a secondary--my 642; if i can reach it.

staunch the bleeding best i can (even if it means sticking my thumb in the hopefully only one hole) and keep an eye on 'him'.
    fish for my 642 if my count is -0- while i wait for help.
    adrenalin has my BP up and to minimize the bleeding i need to stay calm....not looking good for that idea.

how 'he' got the drop on me is what I'll hopefully figure out during my recovery.

this is a difficult 'what-if' sometimes one must hope (pray) for some external intervention--deus ex machina
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If his gun is still in his hand, he's still a threat. Shoot him again. Reload or get to BUG.

At least attempt to stop bleeding ASAP. On abdomen, I need to pack the wound with anything that will help tamponade the blood flow and help clotting begin. A piece of clothing would help. If I can make it to my car, I have a first aid kit which has a Celox injector which is a powdered hemostatic blood clotting agent in a syringe designed to be injected deep into internal wounds. I may not be able to perform that task. If that option is not available, or I can't make it to the car, place myself in shock position by elevating my legs and getting my head lower than my heart.

Then try and call 911 on cell phone. Stopping the threat and performing self aid is a priority over calling 911. However, that's a toss up as I may want to call 911 before I lose consciousness if I am that close to passing out. But on the flip side, if I'm at risk of passing out, I need to stop bleeding ASAP so I don't bleed out before EMS arrives.

And as glockman10mm points out, "Get squared way with the Lord."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Is it really that complicated? This is 2011 and almost everybody has a cell phone. I don't even think there is a necessary sequence of events, but rather a few tasks that can be performed simultaneously. Apply pressure to the wound with one hand while calling 911 with the other hand while watching the other guy to make sure he doesn't try anything else, and if he does, be prepared to shoot him again.

If you're out in the middle of the desert, then you will have to try to find help, but if you're in a city/town/suburbs, an ambulance can be there in a reasonable amount of time.

If you're shot in the gut then you're in a world of hurt and it may be impossible to move anyway, but it can take a while to die. At least that's what I learned from Reservoir Dogs, so just sit tight and wait for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post

If you're shot in the gut then you're in a world of hurt and it may be impossible to move anyway, but it can take a while to die. At least that's what I learned from Reservoir Dogs, so just sit tight and wait for help.
    Good movie for sure, but then again, it's a movie. It all depends on the size of the hole, and what damage it has done. If bullet nicked the descending aorta (which is in the middle of your belly) you could bleed to death in as little as two minutes. It took hours for Mr. Orange to bleed out because that's what Tarantino said it would take in his movie.
    garyacman likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I live my life by the rules set forth in Tarantino films. It is also completely possible for a woman to survive being shot in the head with a .45, wake up from a coma and kill 50 or 60 men in a sword fight, then survive getting buried alive.
    Riana likes this.

I think I'd be hoping that whomever came to rescue me didn't smell the crap in my pants.
    Riana likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Cool

Not a hijack of the thread but know right now, today, if you are square with God on your eternal salvation.

John 3:16-17

Romans 10:9-10
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    either Cold Shot is (dead) serious and I'm gonna thank him for the best laugh I've had in days, or

he is joshing us and its still funny (sic) x 2
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links