ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario - Page 2

ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario

This is a discussion on ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd head for the nearest service exit and get out of the mall. Hearing automatic weapon fire and screaming just isn't enough information. If I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario

I'd head for the nearest service exit and get out of the mall. Hearing automatic weapon fire and screaming just isn't enough information. If I show up on the scene with my weapon, there's no assurance that responding law enforcement won't mistake me for one of the bad guys. I would get myself to safety and let the professionals handle the situation.

VIP Member
    Getting the heck out of Dodge sounds like the best plan to me. Screw the gift. My coming home to be at the party - while still sucking air - would have to suffice as the gift for the present. There is time to go get something later. I don't want to be part of the GG response that start shooting each other thinking that they are the only GG in the area.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I remember a story from several years ago where a bank was robbed in a fairly large city. The robber escaped on foot and was being chased by law enforcement through a residential neighborhood. A plumber working under a house heard all the commotion and crawled out from beneath the house to see what was going on. He was shot by one of the police officers chasing the suspect.

A mass shooting in a mall is going to draw every available law enforcement officer in the area. You don't know who is going to show up...seasoned veterans, rookies, an off duty deputy from a neighboring county....

If I can get away from the scene, that's what I'm doing. I don't want to be in the middle of a crowd of police officers pumped full of adrenaline holding a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    This one has too many variables to me to say I will for certain do X. If with family, get them out deal with anything that gets in my way. If alone not a clue, if forced start fighting, if not maybe run. Honestly I have not a clue if its just me, but going to follow rule #1:Go Home Alive.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Get on 911 and keep a running dialog with 911 dispatcher giving as much updated information as possible for responding LEO's. Adapt , Improvise, Overcome.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    this is a tough one, I gotta say, I am an idiot for it, it would probably get me killed, but im gonna draw and fight my way out of the mall to my truck, grab my shottie, wait for LEO backup and link up with them, there is a difference in self defense and fighting a war. This is an act of war between terriorists and me and I will fight to the death to defend my fellow countrymen. If I can't get to my truck, I am taking as many of those terrorists with me as i can
    Listen, no insult intended but I definitely agree with your first statement. You are going to run INTO a situation where you are outnumbered and probably outgunned. You are going to do this while you are not in any sort of uniform, I'm assuming. Someone in that mall will see you with a shotgun and probably confuse you with one of the people shooting at innocents. What if they're on the phone with the real LEOs and report you as a possible shooter? Then no amount of talking is going to convince the LEOs who show up that you're not an active shooter.

My suggestion, and what I would do myself, is to keep in mind that your CWL is intended for you to protect you and yours. You are not trained to take on a multiple active shooter situation in a crowded mall. You are not in uniform and as far as I know, are not a sworn LEO, leading to a chance you will be mistaken for a shooter.

You reacting in the manner you suggested is extremely unwise and will likely end in your untimely and pointless demise.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    This one has too many variables to me to say I will for certain do X. If with family, get them out deal with anything that gets in my way. If alone not a clue, if forced start fighting, if not maybe run. Honestly I have not a clue if its just me, but going to follow rule #1:Go Home Alive.
    I gotta go with this. This is one of those situation with too many variables. If a shot presents itself, then I'll take it, but I don't know that I'd be seeking it.

Besides, why would I be in a mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Besides, why would I be in a mall?
    I generally avoid them, but found myself in them frequently when shopping for an engagement ring last year. Not many other places you can find 5 or more jewelery shops in one building. I don't like them, but I find myself there occasionally. Also, they have food courts!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I generally avoid them, but found myself in them frequently when shopping for an engagement ring last year. Not many other places you can find 5 or more jewelery shops in one building. I don't like them, but I find myself there occasionally. Also, they have food courts!
    The closest mall is over 100 miles away, and I can't stand crowds. I've got a jeweler a few towns over that I get all that kind of stuff from, and anything for any non-female friends (and even sometimes for them) can be purchased locally at the gun shop or Kmart. If they want something I can't get there, then they don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    The closest mall is over 100 miles away, and I can't stand crowds. I've got a jeweler a few towns over that I get all that kind of stuff from, and anything for any non-female friends (and even sometimes for them) can be purchased locally at the gun shop or Kmart. If they want something I can't get there, then they don't get it.
    Ah, well where I lived at the time I had I think 5 malls within 25 miles. Pretty much all the jewelery shops were in those. And I certainly don't blame you for avoiding them...
    My blog

If BGs are blocking you or your families exit, then hide and watch for a opening.

If they are running AKs or ARs when he changes mags just shoot him to the floor.

Then run, do your best to get out, you can bet main exits will be a killing zone, so look for exits through stores etc.

Many stores in mails have security doors that are shut when stores or closed, it would be a good bet that as soon as shoots were fired these doors would be shut to protect stores and those in them.

Point is there may not be a lot of exits.

Just stay out of the mail in the first place!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Full auto fire and the atypical Islamic war cry in the mall...I'm armed, but seldom go to the mall by myself..... always scope out the various exits, public,employee and fire exits....been trained and have pursued training on my own dime and usually have something more substantial in the way of fire power in the truck...what am I going to do..get me and mine and and cover any others who want to follow out the nearest exit..

I have no idea of how many shooters, just because I see someone moving across my line of vision with a gun, doesn't mean he is an enemy combatant..he may be a police officer, concerned citizen responding to the shooting or just like me getting out of the potential kill zone and covering his retreat.

Another potential is the shooter(s) wants the police and armed responders to show up so that he/she/they can detonate strategically placed IED's both inside and outside the mall, best of both worlds by their mindset, panicked masses inside attempting to escape, fire/police/ambulance outside responding, media and bystanders that always have to gather to stare at otherwise innocent peoples misfortune and in amongst all this a few 1000 lb car bombs and Voila! We make the evening news looking like some market place in Iraq or Pakistan or Afghanistan.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Almost every single store in a mall has a back entrance from back halls that frequently have exits at regular intervals for bringing in new merchandise. I'm ducking into the closest store, working my way to the back and taking as many people with me as I can and getting out of dodge. I'm no hero.

Going up against several shooters with full-auto rifles with a handgun is not good odds. I know some people who actually carry collapsed rifles in backpacks, etc, when they go to malls just for this purpose and I got to shrug and say, "Whatever floats your boat." With everything else I have to carry I'm happy if I can get a gun and a spare magazine on me and I'm using that to escape, not engage. If I HAVE to fight my way out I certainly will, but I'm not going to go running towards the gunfire.

My first priority is to my family and getting back to them.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    On the rare occassions I do go to a mall, it is usually with my wife & kids. My 1st priority is to get them (and everyone close to me) OUT! So, we're finding the nearest exit PRONTO!

Fortunately, my wife carries and is a GREAT shot; so well have each others back. Once out we would leave the scene COMPLETELY for the very reason Shaughn suggests because I do think a car bomb would be a real possibility is a situation like this. (We can always be a good witness after everything is all over.)

If I'm alone?
    I would most likely be looking for cover while thinking about a way to mount a counter attack until the calvary arrives. It's really NOT in my nature to stand by while innocent women & children are killed in cold blood.

(I know if my family were ever caught in a BAD situation like this, I would hope someone would be willing to help them get to safety.)
    -

The gift issue is out the door. 911 on the phone with as many details as I can get to them. If I have incoming fire on my X then I am off the X and moving to cover. I will not get caught in a no exit situation as I have been in all of the malls in my area for years and have worked on most of their communication systems years ago and know where the tunnels and exit doors lead to. Only if I get confronted by someone with a weapon will I draw and shoot them to the ground from cover. Cover is the most important thing to have when the shooting starts. The next issue is getting out alive.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links