Defensive Carry banner

ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario

4K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  livewire 
#1 ·
In addition to a potential threat from suicide bombers, I also see the potential threat from a small group of terrorists going into a mall in mid-America and attempting to inflict as much damage (and terror) as possible. Tom Clancy, IIRC, had a similar scenario in one of his recent books.

So, you are in the mall, alone, frantically shopping for the birthday/anniversary gift that you forgot was today. You are armed with your EDC and one spare mag. The Mall is a typical suburban Mall, 3 to 4 "wings". You are about mid-way thru one of the wings, when you hear the distinct sound of automatic weapons fire and screaming from around the corner to the next wing, then you hear automatic weapons fire and more screaming from the wing on the other side of the central hub. What do you do?

#35 ·
A terrorist situation was recently avoided in Seattle just last week. Two home grown terrorists (who converted to Islam) and then got indoctrinated into the Jihadist ideology planned to attack a military recruitment center.

The attacks in Mumbai were pre planned and the terrorists were well armed. They had explosives, censors, cameras, C4, level 4 body armor, night vision among other things.

It is difficult to assess ones plan of action when a scenario like this runs into you without warning. Most of these do.

Would my EDC weapon and extra clip be enough to take on a few heavily armed terrorists with body armor? I don't think so. Do I have an advantage to stay inside and get as much intel on the terrorists and pass it onto LE? Maybe if you are located at a strategic location where you have a macro view of all of them.

The smart and discreet thing to do would be to leave as soon as possible, taking your family and friends with you if you can. Terrorists usually don't wait around with hostages. They usually carry explosives. So its better to get as many people out to safety as soon as you can.

If you plan to engage with them, you can do so if are special forces or similar.

I lost a lot of friends and family in the Mumbai attacks. I wish everytime I think about it that I was there to save them.

#37 ·
I think I would find some hard cover and see if a shot presents itself. As katmandoo122 pointed out, you're not going to be able to attack them head on and do anything except get mention in the report. A few rounds of 7.62x39 and you're out, probably having never even fired your pistol.

If you can find decent cover, you can take well-aimed shots and the shooters aren't likely to even notice, since their own fire will be so loud and close to them, and they'll be tracking the moving crowds so you won't stand out behind cover. You play your cards right and they'll never know you're even there. On the other hand, you really need to evaluate whether you're going to accomplish anything. The shooters may be wearing body armor, or even worse, explosives that may trigger if hit by a handgun round. Either way, the only really effective shots are likely to be head shots unless you know otherwise after you see them. There has been a lot of talk about trying to score headshots while shooting with a pistol at moving targets in other threads. I have enough trouble grouping rounds in a head-sized circle at 25 yards at a static range, let alone moving, ducking, bobbing and behind the sights of a rifle.

So, I'd probably try, but just as probably fail. At the very least, I'll try to direct some of the panicked masses, and put myself in a position where there's a possibility, however remote, that I can take one of the shooters out.

#39 ·
limatunes has the correct answer:

Use the back entrances and hallways to evade and escape. Take as many people with you. If you run smack into a armed terrorist, then fight. Ideally I'd try and stay 20-30 feet a head of my group/family in case we did run into problems. That way they could turn around and evade while I tried to stop the bad guy.

Honestly I don't know what my odds would be with just a J frame 38 or a micro 45. a lot would depend on who saw who first, and who gets the first shot(s) off. I know that a general rule of self defense is to NOT shoot someone in the back. But if I was dealing with terrorist who were just indiscriminately shooting people, I'd take any open shot I could get and I feel that I could easily justify that decision to the police/DA. I'd also assume that I was already dead given the imbalance of power, and my main goal would be to get my family out alive, even if I had to stay behind and cover their escape. And if I happen to survive, that's just a bonus.

I'd also harvest any weapons that I found on any dead terrorist, but at the same time, trying to be alert for the responding PD as I don't want to be holding an AK47 when the SWAT team enters the mall!

#42 ·
I completely agree with the fact that the number one goal is to go home to your family, or get them out of the situation alive. I will say this, 9/11 changed the game, and the passengers and crew of Flight 93 put the welfare and safety of others before themselves. Yes, self preservation is the first thought, and ultimately the final goal but if I am ever faced with this situation I hope that I will be able to use good sound judgement and training and respond accordingly.

#44 ·
just remember,if you decide to fight,all the tactics in the world want save your or aanyone else's life if you can't hit your target"train,train,train!!!".if you shoot and MISS,and hit a 5 year old child having ice cream with her granny,well its not the 3-4 terrorist you killed that you are going to be remembered for,always train for what you think can't and want happen.

#45 ·
What if you were close to a sporting goods store in the mall, my thought would be to duck in there and find good cover and get as many things loaded and nearby, in case it became a hostage situation or like if some other people said the outside was rigged with car bombs and explosives outside. i think i would rather go out fighting then to go out getting blown up by a bomb as i walk out a door.

#46 ·
Terrorists aren't known for taking hostages unless they can take them back to their cave and make a video. I'm escaping or I'm dying, but I'm not planning for anything that involves complex heroics. If I get a shot, I'll take it, but I'm not Achmed Hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.