ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario

This is a discussion on ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In addition to a potential threat from suicide bombers, I also see the potential threat from a small group of terrorists going into a mall ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ALLAHU AKBAR!" Possible Mall shooting scenario

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

In addition to a potential threat from suicide bombers, I also see the potential threat from a small group of terrorists going into a mall in mid-America and attempting to inflict as much damage (and terror) as possible. Tom Clancy, IIRC, had a similar scenario in one of his recent books.

So, you are in the mall, alone, frantically shopping for the birthday/anniversary gift that you forgot was today. You are armed with your EDC and one spare mag. The Mall is a typical suburban Mall, 3 to 4 "wings". You are about mid-way thru one of the wings, when you hear the distinct sound of automatic weapons fire and screaming from around the corner to the next wing, then you hear automatic weapons fire and more screaming from the wing on the other side of the central hub. What do you do?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Depends if my family is with me or not....my reaction has always been, "move to the sound of the guns"....

Oh...and no warning shots
    Last edited by SIGguy229; June 20th, 2011 at 06:16 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Get the birthday/anniversary gift and get out of there. You don't want to miss that occasion for ANY reason.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if i am between their fire than I'm thinking that they will not be firing in my direction--after all, they have a plan and know where they are relative to each other. than, since i am at a mall I'm carrying a primary that is accurate, not a p380 belly gun type; rather a p239/40 or my Defender. either of which i do IDPA with and can hit fast with at 25 yards Texas star accurate. despite being capable of going on the offensive, I'm seeking hard cover that will allow for a French style attack
    it would be an act of shear desperation for to go up against multiple auto fire...perhaps Cold Shot who professes living for his movies may consider a Bruce Willis scenario but I'm for strategic retreat and than cell phone
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Depends if my family is with me. If I am alone and I see an opportunity to take one out I do it.

I hate malls, and rarely enter one. Xmas time mostly. Probably the worst time!

I am getting out to the best of my ability, carefully thru the utility halls and entrance/exits if possible, and if I cant, then I am finding a place that I can hide and defend. Mostly hide. It really depends on if they are here to cause collateral damage or if they intend to hold the mall and hostages. If the latter is the case, I will have to be a very very good hider.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

If my family is there, my first priorty is their safety. If I am alone, my first priority is to save lives. I have taken two oaths. The first to support and defend the Constitution of the US, the second to enforce the laws of the land. I am just as willing to lay it all down today as I was back then. Count me in on this rodeo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If my family is there, my first priorty is their safety. If I am alone, my first priority is to save lives. I have taken two oaths. The first to support and defend the Constitution of the US, the second to enforce the laws of the land. I am just as willing to lay it all down today as I was back then. Count me in on this rodeo.
    Thank you for your service.

I'm sure that all your extensive training will be of great help in such a situation.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

A Most exelent scenario... And in my opinion a quite possible one.

This is what I HOPE I would do...
    My first reaction would be to seek cover.
    Second would be to call for emergency help.
    Third reaction would be to find an exit, and to assist as many people out as possible. Advising them to get as far away from the location as possible, and to avoid the main parking lots, and location of first responders.
    Fourth I'd probably return, or stay and provide the responding police with as much intelligence as possible.

I'd only confront one of the shooters if absoloutly nessisary. Otherwise I'd stay out of the mix. Maybe if I found them exicuting people I'd fire on them... Otherwise I'd be a fly on the wall.

Spuk!
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; June 20th, 2011 at 03:14 AM.

Well it's a good probability that my name will be inscribed on stone one way or the other. But, maybe I could cause enough ruckus to spare a few innocents until the Calvary gets there. No bones about it, I would be scared, probably call myself all sort of names, and ask myself, "just what the hell are you doing", but maybe God would give me enough strength to do what has to be done there. I think my convictions for this country and a love for my countryman would over ride my common sense here.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    There are times when being a good witness isn't a viable option. This scenario is one of them. Since I will most likely be by myself, I do what needs to be done. Since I carry a 1911 with 1 spare mag, I'm limited to 17 rounds. Hopefully that is enough to make a difference, or at least allow me to rearm with a picked up weapon. As glockman10mm it might buy a little time. While I know that going up against full auto weapons with a handgun is futile, I'd still have to try.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In the case of multiple zones of gunfire your best bet is to lay low and try to keep yourself and anyone you know alive. Staying alive is more important than taking on multiple enemies that aren't immediately in front of you.

If you can't exit the facility, and one or more of the BGs comes to you then you kill them if you can. Use cover to your advantage and make them come to you once they are aware of you.

If you want to be a hero, be cautious, and be safe as you provide help. You getting yourself killed without taking any of them down then you were of no use, and you will be missed.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I would probably be with my fiancee. So, priority #1 is getting her safe. Hopefully, in that situation, I would be carrying my .45 +spare mag (22rds total)- so, just enough. Worst case scenario, I would have my .357 and a speed strip. 12 rounds... I think I could at least get us safe with that.

So, get the fiancee out, and try to help the mothers with their children. Using as many back passages and store exits as possible (instead of using the 'mall exits'). Once out, I will be calling the police, identifying myself, and doing my best to get out of there.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I got my CCW in August 2001. This scenario is what really got me into carrying everywhere, all the time.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    this is a tough one, I gotta say, I am an idiot for it, it would probably get me killed, but im gonna draw and fight my way out of the mall to my truck, grab my shottie, wait for LEO backup and link up with them, there is a difference in self defense and fighting a war. This is an act of war between terriorists and me and I will fight to the death to defend my fellow countrymen. If I can't get to my truck, I am taking as many of those terrorists with me as i can
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links