The Agressor has been stopped.....Now What?

This is a discussion on The Agressor has been stopped.....Now What? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your out for dinner with your family. On your way to your car in a dark parking lot a armed assailant approaches.You order him to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Agressor has been stopped.....Now What?

Your out for dinner with your family. On your way to your car in a dark parking lot a armed assailant approaches.You order him to stop.You yell out for help.He continues toward you. Your wife and children are scared and starting to scream in fear. You draw your weapon and fire. The assault is stopped. You call 911. The police arrive.

My question now is "Now What?" What should you do or not do?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    did not your instructor cover this? at all?

I'm not trying to bust ur chops, but what do you think happens?

your call of 911 included a request for 2 ambulances--1 for him and the other for you or the mrs.
    holster your gun
    note witnesses
    note the crime scene-use cell to take pics
    do not let bystanders rearrange the scene--or remove anything.
    phone your lawyer--you do have one on speed dial, yes?
    don't touch him--lots of reasons; see other recent threads

this is just me ...YMMV

what happens after the police arrive is another question
    jarhead74 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Holster the gun, get your family to safety/cover and make sure they are OK but dont leave the scene.

Stick around. Cooperate by telling LEO that there is no masked gunman on the loose, and that you will give a statement as soon as you consult with an attorney.

The LE will easily prove you are the guy who did it so dont deny it. Point out witnesses and evidence just dont tell your side of anything until your attorney is available.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

No worries claude .... Im imune from chop busting. My instuctor did cover the issue with vague broad brush and since this is a discussion forum on the subject I thought I would ask those with vastly more knowledge than myself for a bit more info so I may be as well informed as possible.

DY--gotcha. often ain't easy to cover everything in 8 hours ( std NRA course) plus range time.
    also be alert as to his possible 'friends'. they may be back a bit or in the crowd...but chance favors that they are around.
    it isn't over cause he is down, its over when the police take control of the area.
    when on 911, describe yourself, family and what your wearing (shirt color, like that)
    holster when the police are in sight--BEFORE their car breaks to a stop.
    ...you do not want to be holding a gun when they 1st see you.

well informed can be helped along by going to your local police station and asking them for a 'firearms manual/booklet' of state and local laws. its usually a few years out of date but its a general kinda read. a lawyer is the 'man' so find the name of one in your area that is guncentric and introduce yourself to him.
    gotta start some where....good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DamYankee View Post
    Your out for dinner with your family. On your way to your car in a dark parking lot a armed assailant approaches.You order him to stop.You yell out for help.He continues toward you. Your wife and children are scared and starting to scream in fear. You draw your weapon and fire. The assault is stopped. You call 911. The police arrive.

My question now is "Now What?" What should you do or not do?
    I'm sorry....I missed the part where the assault happened...there is a guy walking toward you in the dark....you shoot at him? Have you PID'd your target? Where is your flashlight? Does he have a weapon? Has he threatened you in any way? Or is walking in the dark "assault"?

I think I'd be calling a lawyer because I would be guilty as sin if i did what you wrote.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I do believe I said armed assailant..... And I dont believe it is unreasonable to protect yourself or your family before you or they are bleeding to death. In any event,you can change the scenerio to any Justifiable defense you want.The question I asked is "What now? "After the fact.

Armed with what?.....or are you assuming a lot with this scenario? One could assume that I, on an occasion whereby I am open carrying, am considered an "armed assailant", but you haven't told me where the assault happened.

In your response to me, it appears that because your family is afraid, you should shoot someone because they look scary.

My question is, if you see him coming toward you, why aren't you moving in another direction? My point is, there are steps to take before drawing/firing.

If I were to fire, I would call the police...what more are you looking for? I'm sure this has been covered in more than a few threads....

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If someone is walking towards me and my loved one at night, HG out of the holster, he's getting shot, I think. I will have felt in fear for my life and my loved one. Now, alone, I can evade, seek cover, but you can't chance it with someone with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    If someone is walking towards me and my loved one at night, HG out of the holster, he's getting shot, I think. I will have felt in fear for my life and my loved one. Now, alone, I can evade, seek cover, but you can't chance it with someone with you.
    And when you realize you have shot a plain clothes detective pursuing the guy who just shot someone else during a robbery what is your next move?

As unnerving as it may seem, you still need to validate any threat before you resort to deadly force. Verbally challenge and move off their path and see if they redirect toward you, if so then based on their response you may be at the point of deadly force but it's a constant evaluation.

There are no stupid questions...

This has been covered in the past of course... here.

You do need to validate the threat... on the other hand... if that drawn handgun is pointed at you with no "announcement" of affiliation, you might have some ground to stand on...

Welcome to the forum, and do use the search function...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

new people come in and months old threads may use some freshing up.
    new people/ new perspectives.....not so much if you have been in the real world for a few decades, but...
    in their mind the question may not be as another last month ( year) asked it

what eats me is questions that pick at others just for the sake of a misspelled word or
    a poorly phrased statement. they know darn well what was meant by what was said!

the other bug is questions that a bit of research holds perhaps not the answer but would lead to a question being better phrased.
    and some background info from the OP to go with the question.
    rant.....over.

There are no stupid questions...

well here we differ...
    there are those who do not read a manual and than ask a question that was in bold on page 2.
    who don't learn how something works but already want to make changes.
    and those who say 'why'....they do not say--i read this here and i read that there and why....
    as they have read nothing; they will not be able to understand the answer anyways.
    ....its why i stopped teaching re-loading and work on referral only.
    before you say 'elitist'....i just expect from people that they can know PUSH from PULL
    sit in your car at the super market and watch the doors for 10 minutes....see what i mean.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And when you realize you have shot a plain clothes detective pursuing the guy who just shot someone else during a robbery what is your next move?

As unnerving as it may seem, you still need to validate any threat before you resort to deadly force. Verbally challenge and move off their path and see if they redirect toward you, if so then based on their response you may be at the point of deadly force but it's a constant evaluation.
    You're re-defining the paradigm. Walking toward me at night when I'm with loved ones. I'm not talking 100 yds away but purposely coming toward me, handgun out maybe pointed, maybe at low ready, he's probably getting shot, depending on where it is. It's totally defensible - he had a gun, he was coming at me, I'm in fear for my loved one's life. A plain clothes detective better have his shield around his neck if he's doing that stuff in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You're re-defining the paradigm. Walking toward me at night when I'm with loved ones. I'm not talking 100 yds away but purposely coming toward me, handgun out maybe pointed, maybe at low ready, he's probably getting shot, depending on where it is. It's totally defensible - he had a gun, he was coming at me, I'm in fear for my loved one's life. A plain clothes detective better have his shield around his neck if he's doing that stuff in today's world.
    Again...read the OP....it says armed assailant...but nothing about type of weapon....manner, or if an assault happened---but when pressed further, the alleged assailant had "a weapon", and using emotion to further the argument, "family screaming in fear", the decision is made to shoot. Details matter if you're looking for a response....not all encounters require a gun
    drawn/fired. I understand what the OP is getting to--what do you do after--but you really need to think this out if you want the response you're looking for.

Shooting someone because they are hard of hearing and scary is never a good idea.

I believe he said armed, and that he verbally challenged the individual, at which point a plain clothes detective would have stopped and ID'ed himself.

If an individual holding a gun approached a family in a parking lot, at night, and refused to identify himself while continuing to advance aggressively in their direction, I see no reason not to shoot. Would you rather wait until you or a loved one have absorbed a bullet or two? Even if it were a knife or a baseball bat, you are well within your rights to fire, provided your state doesn't have a "Duty to Retreat."
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links