When they robbed my mom's bank

This is a discussion on When they robbed my mom's bank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, I was chatting with my mom this weekend and we go to talking about an incident that occurred years ago. But I thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: When they robbed my mom's bank

When they robbed my mom's bank

You know, I was chatting with my mom this weekend and we go to talking about an incident that occurred years ago. But I thought I'd post it here.

My mom worked at this small branch bank here in town a few years ago and two men came in the door wearing masks and carrying guns. Ironically, or perhaps coincidentally, they had just fired their armed security guard a few days before and had not replaced him yet. Anyway my mom told me about how one of the guys walked right up to her and stuck the gun right in her face and also in the face of one of the other girls in the bank. They loaded up some money in some bags, including a dye pack. As soon as the man saw the dye pack, somehow he recognized it and was very pissed. He yelled at her to take the dye pack out. They took the money and left. They were never caught. These guys appeared to know what they were doing.

So that brings up the obvious question. What would I have done had I been standing in the lobby of the bank that day?

Had there been just one man with a gun, I tend to think I would have tried to take him down. But being two men with guns, I personally think my risk factor would be lower hoping they'd just take the money and leave. What would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

Stand and be a good witness, or get out of there. You don't know if there's another BG you can't see waiting right outside the door or elsewhere out of your line of sight. The dynamic changes if people start getting hurt, though.
    10thmtn and bds9009 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I've done some "what if" thinking when I'm standing in line at the bank. Where is cover. How can I move discretely to it. Can I wait until the BG's are on the way out and more preoccupied with the escape. What's the background like. Can I be a good witness, if they're not threatening me directly.

They appeared to be smart, the kind that go for a biger ticket, are quick and efficient, and don't want to make things messy. The bank's money isn't worth aggravating them. OTOH if they started rounding customers up, and made it personal, I would take them out.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    They appeared to be smart, the kind that go for a biger ticket, are quick and efficient, and don't want to make things messy. The bank's money isn't worth aggravating them. OTOH if they started rounding customers up, and made it personal, I would take them out.
    Well, they were pointing a gun in my mom's face. I'd say that was pretty personal.

Senior Moderator
    One must ask - if you were in that situation and were considering whether or not to act, how would the need to chamber a round factor into the accounting?

Would the sound of chambering a round negate your advantage of surprise and / or forfeit the initiative?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The bank is insured. I am a good witness if I can't leave. If they start shooting then all bets are off.

edit: Forgot about a gun in your Mom's face. That is a tough one. I'd probably follow their instructions trying not to aggitate them further. Odds are if a gun is in my Mom's face I wouldn't be able to draw and hit him before he could squeeze his trigger so I guess in that case I am somewhat at his mercy.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

FDIC. Take over bank robbers are often upper level criminals. If it turns bad, do what you must.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

There are a couple of considerations before action is taken:

You are carrying concealed. Two of them pointing guns at two different people versus one of me. Can I draw, aim fire, and get one or both of them before one of them shoots? Chances are NO.

If a gun was pointed at someone's head, even a headshot by you could trigger enough nerve action to fire the gun. My guess would be that you would attempt to shoot the guy holding the gum on your mom? I would if I decided to shoot. What would the consequences be if the BG nerve shot your mom in the head. How would you live with yourself?

So far all they want is money. Even when they discovered the dye pack, all they were was pissed. Could a case be made for fear of imminent danger? Probably. But as it played out, no one was injured. If you attempt to intervene, the likelyhood of everyone gong home safely is non existent.
    Last edited by tomtsr; June 20th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    A gun in your Mom's face is personal. But at that point, what can you do? Turn the lobby into a bloodbath? Maybe in the movies the good son can draw, hit the brain stem of the BG, then spin to take out the other BG or BG's. I think at that point the robbers have everybody in check, but not checkmate. Once they turn away from your Mother to leave, the actionable threat is over. If they stick around with another agenda, and it looks like a developing hostage situation, you may have to wait for the right opportunity or diversion to end it, and hope the noise scares off any accomplices. The first rule of cover: get to it before the shooting starts.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    One must ask - if you were in that situation and were considering whether or not to act, how would the need to chamber a round factor into the accounting?

Would the sound of chambering a round negate your advantage of surprise and / or forfeit the initiative?

Matt
    + 1
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Seeing as I can't legally carry in a bank, I would most likely comply as long as possible. Luckily, my bank is fairly small, having a lobby about 10' square, so it would be highly unlikely that a bank robber would pick my branch, when they could hit the Stockman Bank down the road and be much better off.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Spidey: In Montana, you cannot carry CONCEALED in a Bank--you can open carry (or carry in a briefcase, purse or backpack). Of course, open carrying in the presense of 2 active bank robbers with guns might not be such a great idea.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Its very... very hard to say what one would do in a case like this as the environment of a RA change so fast.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Have not been inside a bank in a looooong time. Direct deposit, the internet, the mail, and the phone are your friends.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Matt
    I wouldn't carry without a round in the chamber.
    swiftyjuan and KindOfBlue like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links