Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today.

This is a discussion on Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KindOfBlue Castle Law says any place you are legally allowed to be it applies...I'd be protecting myself, not the property. Honestly, I ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 128
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today.

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Castle Law says any place you are legally allowed to be it applies...I'd be protecting myself, not the property. Honestly, I don't care about the money in the drawer, it's when my personal safety comes into jeopardy.
    He did initiate the contact, not I... I just simply took the picture and then he asked me what I was doing (sorry if I left that part out earlier)
    You instigated by going outside to snap the picture, in some jurisdictions that act alone is a crime. I would ask someone what they were doing if they snapped a picture of my plate too. That is where the instigation took place, your actions led to a reaction, which led to another reaction, which led to you deciding if you were going to have to shoot someone. Take the picture and go inside, if he asks whats going on, tell him as you walk inside to call police. You chose to stand your ground. This is where the problem is. Take the pic, walk away, call police
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Castle Law says any place you are legally allowed to be it applies...I'd be protecting myself, not the property. Honestly, I don't care about the money in the drawer, it's when my personal safety comes into jeopardy.
    He did initiate the contact, not I... I just simply took the picture and then he asked me what I was doing (sorry if I left that part out earlier)
    But you were packing a concealed firearm. At that point, IMO, you needed to retreat, not engage him, verbally or otherwise. A prosecutor will point out there was no reason you couldnt retreat.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  4. #33
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    You instigated by going outside to snap the picture, in some jurisdictions that act alone is a crime. I would ask someone what they were doing if they snapped a picture of my plate too. That is where the instigation took place, your actions led to a reaction, which led to another reaction, which led to you deciding if you were going to have to shoot someone. Take the picture and go inside, if he asks whats going on, tell him as you walk inside to call police. You chose to stand your ground. This is where the problem is. Take the pic, walk away, call police
    I wasn't even close to making that decision about someone's life. Far from it.
    I can't see how snapping a picture of a thief for evidence purposes is considered a crime anywhere!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  5. #34
    Member Array Siddhartha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Keizer, Or
    Posts
    93
    You also may want to invest in a good holster that doesn't have velcro straps. I bring it up because there are not to many quality holster makers out there that use velcro. In a high stress situation that type of retention will only slow you down on top of the fact that you undid your strap expecting a confrontation with this "thief". I put thief in quotation marks because you have no hard evidence and the burden of proof is on you. Now when you look into the future through your crystal ball and see yourself on the stand against an A-hole prosecutor he will say that you went into the situation looking for a fight and to gun the man down (I know this was not your intention, but lawyers and prosecutors don't care if your right or wrong). When you draw your weapon you don't point it at the ground, because the only reason you draw your weapon is if your life is in immediate danger and if your life is in danger you draw your weapon and fire until the threat stops. When you carry out in public it is a weapon, not a negotiation tool, its there to save your life if needed, nothing more nothing less.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

  6. #35
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    But you were packing a concealed firearm. At that point, IMO, you needed to retreat, not engage him, verbally or otherwise. A prosecutor will point out there was no reason you couldnt retreat.
    Actually it was OC'ed, at about 5:30 position. He couldn't see it because my strong-side was turned away from him (on purpose)
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  7. #36
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    You also may want to invest in a good holster that doesn't have velcro straps. I bring it up because there are not to many quality holster makers out there that use velcro. In a high stress situation that type of retention will only slow you down on top of the fact that you undid your strap expecting a confrontation with this "thief". I put thief in quotation marks because you have no hard evidence and the burden of proof is on you. Now when you look into the future through your crystal ball and see yourself on the stand against an A-hole prosecutor he will say that you went into the situation looking for a fight and to gun the man down (I know this was not your intention, but lawyers and prosecutors don't care if your right or wrong). When you draw your weapon you don't point it at the ground, because the only reason you draw your weapon is if your life is in immediate danger and if your life is in danger you draw your weapon and fire until the threat stops. When you carry out in public it is a weapon, not a negotiation tool, its there to save your life if needed, nothing more nothing less.
    We had him on camera, and the first time he did it, he came inside the store to buy a snack first, so I knew it was him.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  8. #37
    New Member Array biggun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Daley's back yard
    Posts
    6
    I'm with some of the other people saying your gas station should do pre-pay. I don't think I've seen a non-pre-pay gas station since the late 90s. If your regulars are complaining just tell them you have had a string of gas thefts and can't afford not to do pre-pay.

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A firearm is not a confidence booster. It's not something you wear to embolden you. If anything a firearm on your person should be a reminder that you have to be extra careful about what you say and how you say it and what you do so that you can never be the one accused of starting the fight or threatening.

    .
    This ^^^^

    And you may have made yourself a target for future retaliation. Please be careful.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  10. #39
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Apparently you did not read the Castle Law very closely as you would have realized it only applies to your home, car, and business that you own.
    Code:
    80.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions. 
    
    Sec. 2.
    
    (1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:
    
    (a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.
    
    (b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.
    
    (2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  11. #40
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    I'm with some of the other people saying your gas station should do pre-pay. I don't think I've seen a non-pre-pay gas station since the late 90s. If your regulars are complaining just tell them you have had a string of gas thefts and can't afford not to do pre-pay.
    We have surveillance cameras. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the pre-pay only situation.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. If a fist-fight started, and he somehow dropped me, he very well might see my weapon, at which point (trying to think like a criminal here), he'd rip it off me and potentially use it against me. There's no way I'm gonna get shot with my own gun.
    If you are carrying, you need to avoid that fight, period. Forget your ego, forget who was right. You need to walk away before there is any fist fight. You need to not let anything escalate into a fist fight...once you are carrying a firearm, you WILL be held to a higher standard of behavior in court.

    You must retreat if possible and if safe. It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but that is what keeps our guns out of play...but on our belts (and in our purses) when we really need them. (as many states will look for excuses to curtail our rights if they 'perceive' abuse).
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  13. #42
    Member Array Siddhartha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Keizer, Or
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    We had him on camera, and the first time he did it, he came inside the store to buy a snack first, so I knew it was him.
    If you knew it was him and had evidence, why didn't you call the cops and have him arrested???
    BugDude likes this.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

  14. #43
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    This ^^^^

    And you may have made yourself a target for future retaliation. Please be careful.
    He never saw my firearm
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  15. #44
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    If you knew it was him and had evidence, why didn't you call the cops and have him arrested???
    I have no access to the security footage, cops would just come and let him go. Me accusing him of it isn't enough to warrant an arrest.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  16. #45
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Actually it was OC'ed, at about 5:30 position. He couldn't see it because my strong-side was turned away from him (on purpose)
    Interesting. Did you make sure it remained hidden intentionally?

    Just curious.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i brandish my weapon at the gas station i work at
,
can i carry a gun if i work at a gas station
,
can i carry at work at gas station
,
can you carry gun to gas station work
,
drew my gun
,
drew my weapon
,

free license plate lookup

,
glad carry
,
glad i had my gun with me
,

glad i was carrying

,
gun already drawn on you
,
gun forum glad i had my gun
,
in missouri can i carry at work
,
washington state license plate lookup
,
work gas station missouri can i carry a gun?
Click on a term to search for related topics.