Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today.

This is a discussion on Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KindOfBlue He never saw my firearm I meant just by identifying him and by confronting him....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Already very glad to be carrying...almost drew at work today.

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    He never saw my firearm
    I meant just by identifying him and by confronting him.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Interesting. Did you make sure it remained hidden intentionally?

Just curious.
    Yes, I thought that would be the smartest way to handle it.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

I have no access to the security footage, cops would just come and let him go. Me accusing him of it isn't enough to warrant an arrest.
    Then why have the video cameras??? Who has access to the tape??? If it's the owner, I am sure he would love to come down and hand them to the cops and get his money back in legal restitution. Even if the perp didn't see your firearm, he may want to come back and make an example out of you. If he is really a drug dealer he may have had drugs in the car, then you would could have assisted in getting a drug dealer off of the street and you could have stopped a potential thief or future thefts. The point is that your weapon is not your only tool that insures you make it home alive that night. Not trying to be a douche, but I hate to see thieves walk away like that.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    Then why have the video cameras??? Who has access to the tape??? If it's the owner, I am sure he would love to come down and hand them to the cops and get his money back in legal restitution. Even if the perp didn't see your firearm, he may want to come back and make an example out of you. If he is really a drug dealer he may have had drugs in the car, then you would could have assisted in getting a drug dealer off of the street and you could have stopped a potential thief or future thefts. The point is that your weapon is not your only tool that insures you make it home alive that night. Not trying to be a douche, but I hate to see thieves walk away like that.
    Manager and owner do, but I'm pretty sure they both had something going on...detaining a suspect awaiting for video confirmation for HOURS doesn't sound too plausible.

EKA
    If your boss doesn't care enough to protect his property by going to pre-pay, you should not risk your life, liberty, or treasure to do it for him.

The majority of people use some form of plastic to authorize pumps these days, and the few left that actually use cash can't amount to enough business profit to cover even a "one tank" drive-off.

As others here have stated, there are many angles a scumbag prosecutor could use to hang you in the scenario you have presented. Provoking ANY kind of confrontation while carrying a weapon is always a bad idea. That it is not even your property at risk makes it a horrid idea.

The firearm is not a talisman that protects you while you battle the forces of darkness, it is a last-ditch "protect your life" lethal tool. You must be meek and polite at all times, which is the exact opposite of what most people feel when they carry a gun.

Live and learn. We've all been there early on.
    MadMac likes this.

So where is this gas station you work at??? I want free gas too!!!
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by EKA View Post
    If your boss doesn't care enough to protect his property by going to pre-pay, you should not risk your life, liberty, or treasure to do it for him.

The majority of people use some form of plastic to authorize pumps these days, and the few left that actually use cash can't amount to enough business profit to cover even a "one tank" drive-off.

As others here have stated, there are many angles a scumbag prosecutor could use to hang you in the scenario you have presented. Provoking ANY kind of confrontation while carrying a weapon is always a bad idea. That it is not even your property at risk makes it a horrid idea.

The firearm is not a talisman that protects you while you battle the forces of darkness, it is a last-ditch "protect your life" lethal tool. You must be meek and polite at all times, which is the exact opposite of what most people feel when they carry a gun.

Live and learn. We've all been there early on.
    Excellent points. I just don't see it as protecting property that point, as he was not in actual commission of a crime. I simply seeing it as carrying out normal work duties, and if it came to it, protecting MY personal safety. But like I said it was far from escalating to that point.

So where is this gas station you work at??? I want free gas too!!!
    lol! I fear as if I posted the location to quite likely the only non-prepay only gas station left in north america online, we'd get ripped off a lot more

Excellent points. I just don't see it as protecting property that point, as he was not in actual commission of a crime. I simply seeing it as carrying out normal work duties, and if it came to it, protecting MY personal safety. But like I said it was far from escalating to that point.
    You snapped a picture of his license plate!!! That alone is enough to escalate a situation!!! If he didn't have it covered this time the video cameras already have it now!!! Snap a picture of my license plate and I will own your station and your house.

You snapped a picture of his license plate!!! That alone is enough to escalate a situation!!! If he didn't have it covered this time the video cameras already have it now!!! Snap a picture of my license plate and I will own your station and your house.
    Show me where a law says it's illegal to take a picture of someone's license plate! It's a public registration tag.

Please don't take this a a pile on but you probably should go back and re read your original post. You mentioned placing your hand on the butt of the gun when he approached, what would your reaction be if he had shoved you? You have stated that you were afraid of what would happen if you got in a fight when you were armed. I think you were a lot closer to that point that you may want to believe. A little too close not to use it as a learning experience.

Suggestion for the future, if you need to take pictures of a tag, why not say something like "Hey my first car was one of those, mind if I take a pic for my (place family member here like son) so they can see what I keep braggin about?" Now if you're REAL good you get them to step in close to the tag and get a good pic of both. Most anyone that thinks you like their ride will not even think twice about a pic if you talk it up right.

Let me get this straight,You see a guy pumping gas that you think may have stolen gas in the past but can't prove it,you take a picture of his plate to try to prove its him in the future,you get in a verbal confrontation that you basically started and think the castle law will protect you if he becomes aggressive,makes a threatening move in your direction and you think you will be justified to shoot him? So will your Boss continue to pay you wages while your sitting in Prison.
    Siddhartha and MadMac like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When you do it to accuse somebody of stealing combined with a great lawyer the law doesn't matter, It then becomes a civil matter, as much as I hate lawyers I love mine (I don't start crap because I have a good lawyer, but a good one can make or break you). Why do you think Walmart will write you out a big check on the spot if they accuse you of stealing and you are found innocent by the cops or after they search you??? Its because they don't want to write a HUGE check later. In Indiana you can get 15 years for snapping a picture or video taping a cop (the same sentence you get for rape). Remember OJ Simpson was found innocent of murder, but lost the civil trial, how much did that cost him??? Same thing in a personal defense situation, you may have been in the right to use deadly force, but the little ******* you had to use it on just may have a family and a good lawyer. Just remember that if you carry a weapon you have to be on a higher plane than the rest of society. Like I said earlier I am not trying to be a jerk, but some of this is from personal experience.

No Kidding,can you explain how that works
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    No Kidding,can you explain how that works
    I explained it in the previous post.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links