"It comes with the territory."

This is a discussion on "It comes with the territory." within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stanislaskasava In the words of Ted Nugent, " I don't like repeat offenders... I like DEAD offenders. " They should make THIS ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: "It comes with the territory."

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    In the words of Ted Nugent, "I don't like repeat offenders... I like DEAD offenders."
    They should make THIS the law of the land.IMHO
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Let me add a vote for the acquisition of some soft body armor and panels for your briefcase or bag, xsigma40cal.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

I have to second "Old Schools" advice. First document the threat to yourself. As he put it. Start a paper trail. Follow up and do your best to document every threat, giving a discription of the person making the threat. Be precise about what your told. Provide any witness' name and address.

My experience is that most woman beaters are themselves cowards and will usually back down when a man stands up to them. However it sounds to me like this guy may be an exception, and he has others doing his bidding.

At a minimum I'd carry a firearm at all times, and would consider carrying a second one. At least carry spare ammo. I'd keep the gun on my person, and not in a bag or other off body manner. Also I'd be a little more observant during my normal comings, and goings. For example not pulling directy into my driveway, or parking spot... But drive around the block at least once before pulling in. If possible to not park in the same space all the time. Use different routes to and from the places I frequent. When getting in my car, I'd look the car over a bit, and look around for anything unusual, like disturbed dust on my wheels. I hope you get the Idea of what I'm suggesting.

Spuk!

LOL ... truthfully. .... welcome to Criminal Law.

Never be scared, expect the 'intimidation' factor many may try to use ..... and tell them where to put it. I will never be initimidated, and many have tried, and many are serving time.

Be prepared at all times, and trust no one you don't personally know. Believe it or not, it's well worth it, and you will become accustomed to it....

The guy who came up on you ..... should have asked his name, got his tag no, and told him.... tell George, next time his stay may be a lot longer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, the thing is, you are going to be dealing with "street urchins." The problem is, you're not a "street urchin", so I imagine you were more than a little surprised to get your little visit at a place where you were relaxed and had your guard down.

It's a little "unnerving," is it not? You're kind of stuck in a middle type situation in as much as you don't work in the streets, among street people, and you certainly don't live in the streets or have any friends who street people. Yet, your work brings you in contact with street people. You know some of them can be dangerous people, but it's still kind of an abstract concept because you aren't directly exposed to their environment. You deal with them in an office setting or in a court room setting for the most part.

Well, you can shrug it off, ignore it and deal with these little things as they crop up from time to time, or you can realize there is an underworld you have inserted yourself into by virtue of your occupation and work on getting some "street smarts."

If you choose the latter, you should work on honing your situational awareness to a finer degree, and you should also take the time to learn at least some basic "counter-surveillance" techniques used by narcotics officers and similar such "spooky dudes." As an officer of the court, you have access to people who can help you. You can seek out some advice from some seasoned LEO's and parole/probation officers who know what type of element is out there on the streets and get some mentoring on how to survive working in a dangerous world.

Also, you really should get some serious gun fighting training. Real defensive shooting classes. You're a member of this forum, so you know where to go and who has decent defensive shooting programs. Now is the time to quit pussyfooting around and quit putting it off. Go get some professional training and learn how to stay alive on the streets.

But the bottom line is this. Survival is a very personal thing. It means something different to everyone. How much do you value your own survival? I can tell you, it doesn't take much to ambush and kill some unsuspecting yuppy who goes around with their head in the clouds and looking down their nose at all the stupid street urchins of the world.

There was a very profound piece of dialog from The Soprano's HBO series when Tony Soprano was talking with his shrink, Dr. Melphi. She was being kind of smug and condescending to Tony over the fact that he was a mobster. Word had gotten out he was seeing a shrink and for her safety he needed her to go on the lam until he could "take care of things", and it was "beneath her status" to hide in a hotel. Tony said to her: "To people like you, you see us as nothing but a bunch of stupid animals. And that may be true, but make no mistake, animals can be very cunning and dangerous."

Good luck, Counselor. Thanks for posting your story. Very interesting.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Welcome to my world.

Now people can understand why I'm such an uncompromising hard...regarding little things like carrying a chambered round, carrying an extra mag (I carry 2, a flashlight and a knife in business clothing) training and other such issues which people who don't deal with the criminal clients think are overblown or "Don't Apply to Civilians..."

They don't care if you are a lawyer or a Force Recon Marine.

They will ambush you as the please, when you aren't ready and you deal with the problem as it comes...

Or you don't.

SIGguy229 likes this.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I practice my dynamics atleast twice a month with minimum 250 rounds at my land north of the Cities. Double tap, failure, el prez, pie slicing, the whole nine yards. Im starting to think I should get familiar with knife techniques as well. I understand the frustration some of you have with those in the legal community, Im young, idealistic and too stubborn to know better, and Im looking to change it. "Georges" violent tendencies are well documented and a positive defense in the event of a clean shoot wont be too difficult.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    I practice my dynamics atleast twice a month with minimum 250 rounds at my land north of the Cities. Double tap, failure, el prez, pie slicing, the whole nine yards. Im starting to think I should get familiar with knife techniques as well. I understand the frustration some of you have with those in the legal community, Im young, idealistic and too stubborn to know better, and Im looking to change it. "Georges" violent tendencies are well documented and a positive defense in the event of a clean shoot wont be too difficult.

Thanks for the support everyone.
    You seem to be on the right track. And doing well on your own. However, still get out and attend a decent defensive shooting course. You will experience an awakening. No amount of training done on your own, or with a friends will be anything near the experience and education you will receive at a good shooting school.

I wouldn't even be surprised if as an attorney, you couldn't wrangle a tax deduction out of it as some sort of business expense. That type of training is very relevant to your occupation.

Regardless, I'm glad you're getting serious about the hidden "occupational hazards" they never told you about during law school. They are real, and you have a different kind of vulnerability than the average citizen or anyone who isn't in a public safety or criminal justice type occupation. The type of scenarios attorneys face from disgruntled former clients or their posse are usually ambush attacks. They get you when you aren't expecting it during a planned attack. Much different than being a victim of a random street crime that most citizens face.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

I wouldn't even be surprised if as an attorney, you couldn't wrangle a tax deduction out of it as some sort of business expense. That type of training is very relevant to your occupation.
    Get published first, then once you are into the field...then it's a deduction.

You get deductions for an ongoing line of business, not preparing to go into it...

EKA
    Living life in a state of constant paranoia is hardly living.

Not saying you should walk around with blinders on, but if the dude was actually seeking to harm you, he would have come at you in an ambush with no warning.

This is mind games, and it seems to have worked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links