So my wife wakes up to find the front door open...

This is a discussion on So my wife wakes up to find the front door open... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott SigHawk: I am not a dog expert, but in my many years of owning dogs, I don't think I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So my wife wakes up to find the front door open...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    SigHawk: I am not a dog expert, but in my many years of owning dogs, I don't think I have EVER had a dog that raised its hackles where there was not an actual threat--We have lots of folks on this forum who ARE experts in dog behavior, but I'd be inclined to assume that there was really and truly the start of a home invasion.........
    Chaplain - I've seen my dog raise her hackles many times, but to your point, most of the time she percieved a threat. Anytime we're outside and another person approaches, her hair stands up. Knock at the door - hair stands up. In fact, one time I was cleaning the shower drain, and I pulled clump of hair out of the drain and set it on the edge of the tub (gross, I know). Molly walked in, saw the clump of hair, her hackles went up and she started growling at it. I was cracking up!

She's not aggressive by any means, but she is territorial. After the door incident, I treated her with a steak and some milk. Good dog!
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Chaplain - I've seen my dog raise her hackles many times, but to your point, most of the time she percieved a threat. Anytime we're outside and another person approaches, her hair stands up. Knock at the door - hair stands up. In fact, one time I was cleaning the shower drain, and I pulled clump of hair out of the drain and set it on the edge of the tub (gross, I know). Molly walked in, saw the clump of hair, her hackles went up and she started growling at it. I was cracking up!

She's not aggressive by any means, but she is territorial. After the door incident, I treated her with a steak and some milk. Good dog!
    My mother's dog is like that- not aggressive, but she'll make you think you're about to be eaten. Part Lab, part Chow; very loving and friendly. Once she gets to know you.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Your wife did a good job. Like others mentioned, call 911 first. I always tell my wife, if the alarm goes off, leave the German Shepherd to do her business. Get the kids to the safe room. Arm yourself. Dial 911 if the alarm co hasn't called back yet and try not to shoot our dog if things go south.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Firstly, My condolences on the loss of your grandmother, It's never easy, even when you have a pretty good idea it's comming.

Secondly, sounds like the Mrs's kept her cool and was thinking, good for her, your mind is your first and best weapon, you loose that, and none of the rest matters.

I second the short emergency text message idea. receiving something like "911" or "911 home" would sure get my attention, even if answering the phone is not possible or practical, your emotional state, or in a meeting or loud environment, Etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Yup. The only false alarm my dog has ever given was when he seen his reflection in the glass of the gun cabinet. He's not the brightest, but he's a good dog. Never fails to sniff out a coyote or other predator getting too close.

My dog did this same thing in the glass door of the stove in the kitchen, and one time triggered a singing Elmo we had out for Christmas. Both were middle of the night wake up calls. But at least we knew he was on the job.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Great idea on the text or code signal. Back in the days of beepers we would add a 911 to our number if that person was to call us immediately.

On the dog's hackles, sure a dog will raise its hackles if something is amiss. The dog looked downstairs and saw a door that was open that is typically closed. Some dogs pick up on much smaller things like that. It's up to you whether or not you want to encourage alerts for what could be a minor thing. Who knows, maybe somebody did open the door, heard the wife and saw the dog and decided to leave. Scary stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Glad everything turned out OK. I'd like to see a picture of your dog I just can't picture that mix. One time I was taking care of the neighbors pets, looked over and saw the door open and I was sure I closed it. Decided to call the police and let them check thing out. Turned out I must not have gotten the door closed all ended well and the police got a little practice clearing a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Glad everything turned out OK. I'd like to see a picture of your dog I just can't picture that mix. One time I was taking care of the neighbors pets, looked over and saw the door open and I was sure I closed it. Decided to call the police and let them check thing out. Turned out I must not have gotten the door closed all ended well and the police got a little practice clearing a house.
    Here's a picture of her lying on the couch with my father-in-law. You can see she has the length and stubby legs of a dachsund and the muscular frame of the red-nose pitt. And get this - the mama was the pittbull, so she must have had a very brave father who also had a stepstool.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SigHawk; June 24th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Maybe it was a ghost

I am sorry for your loss & proud of your wife for doing the right thing. praying there is no next time, but just in case, I am sure she will do even better.

Take that lady out to dinner. She did a very good job of handling that situation. And then suggest to her that you both take some good training courses where you get to hone the skills she has demonstrated she already has. And get that awesome dog something special as well. She did her job quite well also!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My wife would have likely tossed a flash bang down the stairs, popped smoke, rolled in with the AR and flood the area with 7.62 NATO. But hey, that's MY wife......

We have woken up and found our front door wide open. Forgot to lock it and the wind hits it just right. . . . .
    One of those mistakes you only do once (hopefully!)
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Administrator
    I'm certain that you've already critiqued the entire scenario numerous times.

Glad that you had a great outcome and now (for sure) the Mrs. knows the feeling of having to react with a pint of powerful adrenaline kicking into the bloodstream.

That's a worthwhile lesson in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    SigHawk: I am not a dog expert, but in my many years of owning dogs, I don't think I have EVER had a dog that raised its hackles where there was not an actual threat--We have lots of folks on this forum who ARE experts in dog behavior, but I'd be inclined to assume that there was really and truly the start of a home invasion.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Yup. The only false alarm my dog has ever given was when he seen his reflection in the glass of the gun cabinet. He's not the brightest, but he's a good dog. Never fails to sniff out a coyote or other predator getting too close.

Good for her for not trying to clear the house. I'm sure she realizes she should've called 911 sooner, so there's no need to beat that one to death. Nice response time too, btw. I'd be lucky to get 3 hours out here. lol.
    Glad you're both ok. And I echo the guys above about the dog. Mine may do a little fake bark here or there at someone passing along the road, but when that hair is standing up and she's growling that low deep growl that makes the floor vibrate...something's up and it's not the ceiling!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    like the responding officers and other here said, don't wait to call 911, other than that she did well
    Well done

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links