I'd like to see real people getting real feedback for real life situations

This is a discussion on I'd like to see real people getting real feedback for real life situations within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i tried this early on in my posting here...it was a disaster---i was called Ghecko45 and other (less??) faltering things. questioning my imagination and, well....the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 9MMare
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: I'd like to see real people getting real feedback for real life situations

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar

I'd like to see real people getting real feedback for real life situations

i tried this early on in my posting here...it was a disaster---i was called Ghecko45 and other (less??) faltering things.
    questioning my imagination and, well....the point is that many here have never had an 'experience'. they read , perhaps too much, and suppose this & that and project how they ( untrained matters not, untested matters not)they project how they would react. one admits his bible is various movies. ya, and i want a doctor that can recite every episode of House.

so do we have it both ways---hamlet told me to write a story---heres one from the early 1980's

winter, roads narrowed to parking and 1 travel lane. as I'm coming back to my car i notice half a block away 2 dudes approaching me--both had bats, no ball or gloves: my SA is way active now. as we closed distances i went out behind my car, they did not know it was my car, and they go out in front of my car....so, i can see all 4 hands and there jackets are open, I'm thinking bats are all the have to threaten me with---one says ' take out your wallet and hand over all the money, make it look like your giving us a fiver and were gone unless you want a world of hurt. [verbals are close, perhaps not exact] we are 1 long block from a hospital near the mark Twain house...appropo to there being ....not relevant.
    all this time i have had my left hand in my coat pocket with keys and the 642 pointed at them [and i can and have practiced point shooting through a coat....im dead accurate and half the time it starts the pocket on fire.

we are separated by 15 feet and i say to them ( i have bladed slightly and put my strong side Defender out of their sight) that its only a short walk to the hospital and do they think they can do it with busted knees?
    lots of them laughing till i turned a bit and opened my coat enough for then to see the Colt.

they insulted 3 generations of my family as the walked away waving at me with one finger and.....
    thats it.
    thats how SA works.
    thats best how a gun works, just by being there.

this was before cell phones so i went back to my customers apt and phoned the police.
    descriptions and a case # took 5 minutes and than it was back to work.

comments please, should i have done more? or less? and in what manor?
    other ideas?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you did very well. You kept your stuff and weren't injured. They didn't have to die. If they'd been caught that's the only thing that would have made it better.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

At least they were smart enough to understand the 'bringing bats to a gun fight' reality...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think you took care of the situation well, including calling the gendarmes after the fact to let hem know what happened.

It's been a while since Ive prowled that part of Farmington Avenue but from college days (c. 1970) through 2000 it wasn't an area I'd voluntarily walk through at night.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think that we see 'real life situations' when 'real life situations' happen. Thankfully, maybe they dont happen to all that many people here.

We just heard from the man who's wife responded pretty darn well to an open door in their home. Many here will remember when another member was confronted at a car wash and drew his weapon...and handled things well.

Or the other member who's home was invaded, and his gun was nearby.....and his family in the other room.

Or we also have a member, from back east, forgive me for forgetting his name...he's been accosted a couple of times, one a carjacking....he's posted his experiences and exactly why he carries today.

It just may be that we are generally lucky enough NOT to have such situations.

And then we have the educational ones, like the young man who works at the gas station and almost drew.....hopefully by relating his experience, he learned more about being a responsible gun carrier.

Sorry, didnt mean to lecture. So endeth the word according to 9MMare.
    KindOfBlue likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    smitty..i had a rule; when half the cars had there light on it meant my work day was over.
    this was before DRL's but dark was more danger. Clemens Place had just been rebuilt. rather, they took the beautiful old huge apartments and cut them into jigsaw shaped studios and 1 & 2 bedroom apts. but at least it was before tha crazy times that crack brought to the streets. glad its n my past 1 story down xx to go.

--------

9MMare---just call me Wilber
    9MMare likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Nice work sir. Very well done, you waited until a clear and obvious threat was present, you did not immediately draw when you saw them approaching, and you very deliberately acted in a manner that says to me, I don't want to hurt you, but will if I have too. Good work! I owe you a cookie.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Real life. Nice job sir.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It sounds like you handled that about as well as you could have.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    i tried this early on in my posting here...it was a disaster---i was called Ghecko45 and other (less??) faltering things.
    questioning my imagination and, well....the point is that many here have never had an 'experience'. they read , perhaps too much, and suppose this & that and project how they ( untrained matters not, untested matters not)they project how they would react. one admits his bible is various movies. ya, and i want a doctor that can recite every episode of House.

so do we have it both ways---hamlet told me to write a story---heres one from the early 1980's

winter, roads narrowed to parking and 1 travel lane. as I'm coming back to my car i notice half a block away 2 dudes approaching me--both had bats, no ball or gloves: my SA is way active now. as we closed distances i went out behind my car, they did not know it was my car, and they go out in front of my car....so, i can see all 4 hands and there jackets are open, I'm thinking bats are all the have to threaten me with---one says ' take out your wallet and hand over all the money, make it look like your giving us a fiver and were gone unless you want a world of hurt. [verbals are close, perhaps not exact] we are 1 long block from a hospital near the mark Twain house...appropo to there being ....not relevant.
    all this time i have had my left hand in my coat pocket with keys and the 642 pointed at them [and i can and have practiced point shooting through a coat....im dead accurate and half the time it starts the pocket on fire.

we are separated by 15 feet and i say to them ( i have bladed slightly and put my strong side Defender out of their sight) that its only a short walk to the hospital and do they think they can do it with busted knees?
    lots of them laughing till i turned a bit and opened my coat enough for then to see the Colt.

they insulted 3 generations of my family as the walked away waving at me with one finger and.....
    thats it.
    thats how SA works.
    thats best how a gun works, just by being there.

this was before cell phones so i went back to my customers apt and phoned the police.
    descriptions and a case # took 5 minutes and than it was back to work.

comments please, should i have done more? or less? and in what manor?
    other ideas?
    That was great in my book - and Kudos for your restraint in not responding in some crazy way to their parting comments.

Here's one thing I suggest: be careful of your verbal remark before you show the gun. Here's why - at least in my state. Just on the outside chance the "boys" called 911 on you (don't laugh, you're outnumbered witness-wise) or if, God forbid, you ended up having to shoot one of them: the remark could be said to be your escalating verbally a situation, even though they had begun something. The others - those not shot are witnesses - could deny anything was said about handing over your wallet, one merely gave you some lip, and you began to speak violently about shooting their knees and then drew your gun. Sounds ridiculous since you went through it, but the cops didn't and there are two witnesses against you. A silent display of the gun, therefore, might have been better. (Course, the remaining "boys" could just lie through their teeth no matter what).

Anyway, a quibble, but trying to look out for you. Stuff happens.. If I have a gun on, I tell myself, "no matter what anyone should say to me, zip it - just in case something goes down". I want to be nothing but an innocent victim that did nothing to produce ANYTHING that might happen.

It's a great story , and you were right "on the mark" when it happened. Especially good was calling the police - this would preclude any false reports the "boys" decide to give. You reported what happened, quickly as you should, you're on record. Takes the wind out any weird later reports of others ("the boys")
    Last edited by hamlet; June 25th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

I would say that went extremely well,nobody got shot hit robbed,Police have a report.
    One good thing is it wasn't at home so they have no idea where you live which could change things in the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Reminds me of this You Tube video of William Shatner getting mugged.

I really can't see anything legally wrong with how he handled the situation, other than it's Hollywood.

To the OP, you did well. Not perfect, but who is?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

TVJ
    You already know the accurate answer to your own question Claude.

Well done and thanks for posting
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Links