Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday

This is a discussion on Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; God forbid any of us actually help someone like that. Just make sure you are "tactical" in everything you do and were ready to kill ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday

God forbid any of us actually help someone like that. Just make sure you are "tactical" in everything you do and were ready to kill him. Kill em all, let God sort out right. No doubt he was a frigging low life.A Loser. Whatever.

The words of a certain Biblical figure come to mind, "if you have done it unto this, the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me"

What a waste of an opportunity....
    shockwave and Hopyard like this.

2. Remove Ads

It's hard to tell who honestly needs help, who is trying to get a handout, or more importantly, who may be trying to hurt you and take all that you have on you.

You can be a good samaritan, but it's best to be a cautious good samaritan. Don't forget the older gentleman who stopped to help a guy change a flat tire and was given one hell of a punch that eventually killed him.

There are many scenarios where that person asking for money could be a real threat to everyone around them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure after all.

Don't get so upset about people being cautious. Many of us have learned to be careful and suspicious first, then generous if need be due to our experiences in life.
    Catfan63 and Tzadik like this.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    God forbid any of us actually help someone like that. Just make sure you are "tactical" in everything you do and were ready to kill him. Kill em all, let God sort out right. No doubt he was a frigging low life.A Loser. Whatever.

The words of a certain Biblical figure come to mind, "if you have done it unto this, the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me"

What a waste of an opportunity....
    Smolck...are you serious??? This response is very disturbing if you are!!!
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I think he chose you because of eye contact. Something I avoid unless it looks like it could become a bad situation. At that point, eye contact can be a good thing.
    nigelvertigo and Tzadik like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Smolck...are you serious??? This response is very disturbing if you are!!!
    It's called sarcasm. I thought I was laying it on thick enough, guess not.

My point is that sometimes we are so concerned with protecting ourselves we miss our opportunities to be used for good. For me personally I'll give money to people, or put gas in their car if I can. I don't worry about what they are actually going to do with it, or if they are lying. If I give with a cheerful heart, then I am rewarded for MY actions, not the actions of the person begging.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    It's called sarcasm. I thought I was laying it on thick enough, guess not.

My point is that sometimes we are so concerned with protecting ourselves we miss our opportunities to be used for good. For me personally I'll give money to people, or put gas in their car if I can. I don't worry about what they are actually going to do with it, or if they are lying. If I give with a cheerful heart, then I am rewarded for MY actions, not the actions of the person begging.
    Phewww!!! You had me concerned there! Glad to hear you were just being sarcastic. I used to be more willing to help others, but with the way violence is today, it's hard to be nice and help others. My Sunday school group goes downtown to the local Mission once a month and feeds the homeless. I actually look forward to serving those in need, but I still keep my guard up when I'm there. It's a shame, but just the world we live in now.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Good SA!

Anytime I'm around my car, my plan is to keep the car between me and a single threat. At the gas station, I also have the option of pointing that nozzle at them...I think most would be deterred by being drenched in gas. And if I had to 'pull that trigger' I think I would (if they lunged at me). Otherwise if it looks like a true threat, I'm moving......
    Great idea about about pointing the gas nozzle at them. For some reason quite a few scary situations happen at gas stations.

I have long advocated that as a deterrent and/or defense if needed. The Zippo in my pocket adds to the effect/capabilities. Before someone mentions the guys with the President masks, I had it twenty years before them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    For well over several thousand years of human history, it has been a traditional practice to assist the needy and give alms to the poor.

That tradition did not die the moment Reagan smirked "welfare queens in designer jeans." Well, actually, for many people it did.

All it takes is for one single person to run his or her yapper about how they "heard from a friend" that some panhandler got picked up in a Cadillac and all of a sudden all beggars are actually, secretly, fakers and if you ever give a quarter to someone you're a gullible sucker.

What a horrid, terrible thing that is.

And it's self-defeating, inasmuch as someday you might be by the side of the road, your car broken down, and nobody stopping to help you because, after all, they read on the Internet that anybody standing by a disabled vehicle is actually a serial killer waiting for their next victim, right?

So instead, unless you want to be a example of everything wrong with the human race, you can't establish rules like, "No thank you, I can't help you, maintain your distance and keep your hands out of your pockets or I'll shoot!" Instead, you have to use all the insights and knowledge you've acquired over a lifetime and evaluate each and every situation on its own merits.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have long advocated that as a deterrent and/or defense if needed. The Zippo in my pocket adds to the effect/capabilities. Before someone mentions the guys with the President masks, I had it twenty years before them.
    Heh, I know. Times like that (I'm always hyper aware at the pumps) I think about taking up smoking
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I actually have a small ritual for what I do before I get out of my vehicle and while I'm pumping gas that I adhere to. Two of them...one for when I'm carrying and one for when I'm not (most of the time during the work commute )
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Nice work, OP.

I live in a medium-sized city (Albuquerque, NM, roughly 700,000 or so), and I've been approached 5 times. All 5 times it's been "I need money for the bus" or "to buy a sandwich". All 5 times, it's been grungy, dirty, just generally filthy individuals who reek of alcohol. All 5 times, I have gone back into Walmart, the gas station, or the restaurant I was eating at, and gotten a dollar bill in change and bought a food item of some sort. All 5 times, I've seen them toss the food in the bushes when they thought I wasn't looking. I am DONE helping these folks. My rationale is, if they were legitimately homeless/in need, they could go to the community soup kitchen or homeless shelter; the fact that they're out begging at gas stations means they have a substance abuse issue.

Now, when anyone approaches me, I immediately reach into my pocket, grip my LC9 in the Galco pocket holster, and state "I'm sorry, I can't help you today." This usually deters most people. If anyone comes closer, I have no problem stating "That's close enough. Please walk away". If they come closer still, the LC9 is coming out!

My 2 cents!

I hope I never have to face a serious threat, but if I do I hope I handle it as well as you did.

Nearly 10% of this great country is out of a job... many have been so for more than 6 months. The rule of thumb is to have 3 months living expenses in savings... that puts even the most conservative of them "out" by 3 months. It has been said that more than 80 percent of the people in this country could not come up with $2000 cash without selling something. For a homeowner, $2000 bucks is a furnace replacement (really cheap), or a water heater, or a refrigerator.

More people are soon to be out of luck, out of time, out of money. Even the preppers in Patriots (the book) were willing to "give til it hurt."

Yes, there are some very shady folks out there who do panhandle and "drive away in Caddys" there are also those who are in genuine need. Sometimes it's real hard to tell them apart. If it doesn't feel hinky, it probably isn't... but if you can't tell, you have to assume the worst, and give through more "normal channels."

I've given, and I've refused. I count on my gut to let me know if it's a con or not... I'm sure I've been wrong... but I ain't going hungry because of it... And maybe somebody else got a bite to eat.

I've been robbed, too. There's a whole different feeling between one and the other... and you know pretty much in the first couple of seconds whether its time for condition orange, if you've been through both experiences.

All that said, if you can't determine whether it's safe or not, err on the side of self preservation... and keep them away...
    Tzadik likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

In my opinion, you did what the fellow in the story from Ohio you cited should have, you made contact with the possible threat before he got too close. Well done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links