Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday

This is a discussion on Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Nashville on business this week and stopped in a Mapco near the airport at 12:30 PM yesterday to fill up the car ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Was comforted by my Ruger LC9 yesterday

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

I was in Nashville on business this week and stopped in a Mapco near the airport at 12:30 PM yesterday to fill up the car with gas before I hit the road. I stood there with my right hand in my pocket resting in the grip of my LC9. I scanned the area and noticed a man standing beside his car parked beside the c-store building directly in front of me. What caught my attention he was staring at me and talking to himself for several minutes.

I had on my sunglasses and kept my eye on him while having that 6th sense feeling he was going to come over to me. Well, I was correct, before the pump finished he started walking towards me and when he got even with the front of my car I asked him what he wanted and he stopped. The whole time I'm watching his hands and noticed he was carrying a cell phone.

He proceeded to tell me that he just turned 60 and needed some money, (I don't remember for food or gas) I was concentrating too hard and watching his hands and body language. I promptly told him I could not help him and he turned away and went back to his car. He got in started up and drove away.

Maybe he was legit and just needed some cash, but he looked a little tweaky and I was the only one he approached while I was there even though there were 3 or 4 other folks pumping gas at the same time.

Just glad it was a non-incident.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    What ever the reason for him coming up to you and asking for money, you had your gun with your hand on it (but did not pull it or show it in anyway) which made you feel good. He didn't push the situation and you both went home safe and sound. I call that a good day.

Well done my friend
    helderberg likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Well done. Having your hand on your gun with no one being the wiser is another reason I prefer pocket carry.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It's good that the situation ended without any conflict. No better resolution could be asked for.

I once saw a guy approaching me while I was pumping gas. I knew he was going to ask me for money, or something. I had just started pumping my gas, though, so I couldn't quite hop in my car and drive away. I decided to address him before he got to me, to try to sort of non-verbally suggest he keep his distance. He did, then flipped out his ID and showed me (??) and then started on this long story. The conclusion was, I need a few bucks. Obviously. I decided to just give him a few bucks for gas (even though he had no car). I knew it wasn't for gas but gave him a few bucks anyway. He was actually quite thankful and surprised that I actually did.

I made sure to keep watching his hands and to keep some extra distance when I pulled out my wallet.

sometimes people asking for money are doing just that, but, you have to be really careful.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Well done. Having your hand on your gun with no one being the wiser is another reason I prefer pocket carry.
    It is also an advantage of purse carry. I can walk thru parking lots that way, which I often do.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    before the pump finished he started walking towards me and when he got even with the front of my car I asked him what he wanted and he stopped. The whole time I'm watching his hands and noticed he was carrying a cell phone.

Good SA!

Anytime I'm around my car, my plan is to keep the car between me and a single threat. At the gas station, I also have the option of pointing that nozzle at them...I think most would be deterred by being drenched in gas. And if I had to 'pull that trigger' I think I would (if they lunged at me). Otherwise if it looks like a true threat, I'm moving......
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Keeping panhandlers at a distance is the best advice. Let them know up front that distance is THEIR friend.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Saw this on another forum...similiar scenario only at night. Guy walks up another while he's pumping his gas and starts a conversation, then he and his accomplice jump the driver. Unfortunately for the bad guy he pushed the envelope with a CCW holder in Ohio and lost.

Dayton's News Source :: Raw News - Caught On Tape: Victim Grabs Gun, Shoots Alleged Robber
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    SA and some throw down money. if you decide to pass him a couple of bucks you can do it with out taking your wallet out; your folded cash--just peel a couple (1's to the outside with a 5 in the center) off and --long streatch--pass them over to him across the trunk.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Was it Jeff Cooper who said that carrying a gun isn't meant to be comfortable, its meant to be comforting. In this case it was both. Nice work OP
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Good SA!

Anytime I'm around my car, my plan is to keep the car between me and a single threat. At the gas station, I also have the option of pointing that nozzle at them...I think most would be deterred by being drenched in gas. And if I had to 'pull that trigger' I think I would (if they lunged at me). Otherwise if it looks like a true threat, I'm moving......
    I agree, Good SA. And thank you for the advise. I never thought as the gas nozzle for defense. Good idea.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I love the gas station stories the best...they are the most real and relatable to us all. I have had only one situation where I was confronted and the "patron??" backed off when he knew I was serious.
    "Brains before Bullets"

TVJ
    I was in Nashville on business this week and stopped in a Mapco near the airport at 12:30 PM yesterday to fill up the car with gas before I hit the road. I stood there with my right hand in my pocket resting in the grip of my LC9. I scanned the area and noticed a man standing beside his car parked beside the c-store building directly in front of me. What caught my attention he was staring at me and talking to himself for several minutes.

I had on my sunglasses and kept my eye on him while having that 6th sense feeling he was going to come over to me. Well, I was correct, before the pump finished he started walking towards me and when he got even with the front of my car I asked him what he wanted and he stopped. The whole time I'm watching his hands and noticed he was carrying a cell phone.

He proceeded to tell me that he just turned 60 and needed some money, (I don't remember for food or gas) I was concentrating too hard and watching his hands and body language. I promptly told him I could not help him and he turned away and went back to his car. He got in started up and drove away.

Maybe he was legit and just needed some cash, but he looked a little tweaky and I was the only one he approached while I was there even though there were 3 or 4 other folks pumping gas at the same time.

Hand on gun in pocket; tactically ready.

Watching hands; excellent

Well done. Seriously, nice job.

Some things I do personally include:

When person walking towards me, I make that a trigger to automatically look behind me.

If he/she already there, I say in firm voice " Just a sec" with my hand/index finger up - swivel my head around and look behind me quickly with my other hand on a tool holstered, in pocket, unopened folder in hand, as I temporarily look away.

I say "No thank you. Good luck to you" to requests.

I am ready to command voice "Back Off!" at any time.

I am ready to move off the X at any time.

You did great. Thanks for posting.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

funny that you mention this. I was just in that same area Monday and stopped at a different Mapco. I'm always watching my surroundings while getting gas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links