How would you handle a violent flash mob? - Page 3

How would you handle a violent flash mob?

This is a discussion on How would you handle a violent flash mob? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't get the Akron example to open for me. Is that the case where the family was attacked while they were in their own ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How would you handle a violent flash mob?

I can't get the Akron example to open for me. Is that the case where the family was attacked while they were in their own yard? If so, that was so sad. I wouldn't consider that a flash-mob though. I would consider that to be gang activity, especially in the neighborhood that that incident took place.

If I was in a situation where I was being descended on by a large group of people who meant to do me or my family harm then I would absolutely react and I would be prepared to use lethal force.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    How would I handle a group of people looking to do harm..... hope that my Smith and Wesson doesn't fail me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    If it's anything like this one, I may have to just be a good witness.

Flash Mob
    I see we have a fellow Gleek amonst us.

Here is Indy's version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoYyYx7fwc
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I would handle it by conveying the message that I am absolutely the person that you do not want to mess with. When Senator McCain was overseas on a trip to Afghanistan or Pakistan, the press took many photos. The fellow in front of him caught my attention. What do you think? Is this guy somebody to mess with?
    Last edited by RockBottom; June 28th, 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    How to handle a flash mob? Fade into the background would be my first choice, but if caught in the middle of it then you have to become more violent than the mob. This is not the time to be thinking about is it legal or not. You have to be alive to be tried by 12. When you shoot make good solid hits on those the closes to you DON'T shoot wildy into the mass. Make it known you will shoot them (those in front of you). Keep moving trying to not let any of them get behind you. To me and my way of thinking if you try to run the chase is on, the mob will act just like a dog or other wild animal, it will try to catch and kill its prey.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Not to nitpick here, but a flash mob is not defined as anything being discussed here; all of these violent situations were mobs, but a flash mob is a group of people who were coordinated ahead of time to do something in a public space. The entire flash mob scene is a lot of fun, and is hugely popular, and none are violent. All of the violence in all of these articles are unrelated to the very definition of being a "flash mob". If you try to tell any friend of family member about so-called flash mob violence, they will likely roll their eyes at you for it and not give credence to what is actually a very serious phenomenon that we are talking about here.

Sorry if that derails the thread, but it needed saying. No good to have a lot of people stuck with this terminology in their heads passing it along incorrectly as mislabeled FUD. I know plenty of media accounts may even call them flash mobs, but they are incorrect (shock eh?).

Now that I've said my piece about mislabeling this as a "flash mob", in the case that I'm faced with a mob of violence minded people, I follow my state laws to the letter. I try to escape, and if I can't get away with my wife and my life, I draw and fire as needed to stay alive and healthy. And I reload smartly, until things are resolved, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Not to nitpick here, but a flash mob is not defined as anything being discussed here; all of these violent situations were mobs, but a flash mob is a group of people who were coordinated ahead of time to do something in a public space. The entire flash mob scene is a lot of fun, and is hugely popular, and none are violent. All of the violence in all of these articles are unrelated to the very definition of being a "flash mob". If you try to tell any friend of family member about so-called flash mob violence, they will likely roll their eyes at you for it and not give credence to what is actually a very serious phenomenon that we are talking about here.

Sorry if that derails the thread, but it needed saying. No good to have a lot of people stuck with this terminology in their heads passing it along incorrectly as mislabeled FUD. I know plenty of media accounts may even call them flash mobs, but they are incorrect (shock eh?).

Now that I've said my piece about mislabeling this as a "flash mob", in the case that I'm faced with a mob of violence minded people, I follow my state laws to the letter. I try to escape, and if I can't get away with my wife and my life, I draw and fire as needed to stay alive and healthy. And I reload smartly, until things are resolved, hopefully.
    You can nitpick all you want. These mobs have been designated as criminal flash mobs by both media and law enforcement as they are coordinated online .My department and surrounding jurisdictions specifically designate them as such in all memos and alerts I have read. Oh and non-violent flash mobs are ridiculous and have jumped the shark in my opinion.

I had heard of these style of attacks as "swarm" mobs or "swarm attacks" and flash mobs as the seemingly random theatrical presentations that often end up on youtube.

Regardless of terminology, flash mobs are stupid and really signify the pathetictimes we live in where being a real man is a rare thing now and being a metro sexual is the in thing.... and criminal flash mobs are dangerous and you should be aware of them and aware of what you plan on doing in the event you get caught in one.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    az---what you plan on doing in the event you get caught in one.

I'm gonna make my self persona non-grata in a most obvious way...
    if that means stuffing the muzzle of my 642 in a dudes mouth while holding his head back... two things here---

one--he will be one of those doing the 'mobbing' and
    two--he is gonna be motivated to having his friends to back away from me.

this is one of the ugliest , yet potentially can happen, scenarios I've heard recently.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

JD
    Administrator
    Should situational avoidance fail...

This would be my fist attempt:

Other than that given the instant brutal nature of mobs, I wouldn't even wait to see a weapon and would try to find an exit strategy while laying down fire into those making an actual attempt to harm me.

This man stopped a mob of students with a mosin.... not an internet organized criminal flash mob, just a mob....

This is apparently becoming an alarming trend in this country, internet organized or not.

KANSAS CITY, MO.— Roger MacBride says that he's used to looking out for trouble in his old Northeast neighborhood. But usually the problems involve prostitutes or drug addicts, and he says that he wasn't ready for what he calls a mob of young troublemakers who threatened his home and family.

Witnesses say that a group of 25 to 30 young teens terrorized the neighborhood on Wednesday. MacBride says that the teens kicked in the door to a neighboring home and broke windows inside. He says when he yelled at the group to get out, they turned on him.

"All of a sudden, this one kid with corn rows comes out and he's like yakety yak, (expletive), da, da, da. He's like we'll kick your (expletive) too you don't (expletive) own this neighborhood, and they are like, literally, 12 of them, start running over here," said MacBride.

MacBride says the teens surrounded his house, picking up rocks and throwing them at him. That's when he says in his eyes, the mob stopped being a bunch of kids and became a big threat. He says the teens were reaching for his door handle when the the sight of his Soviet rifle had an instant reaction.

"I grabbed this and literally just came straight out the porch, came out just like this, and was like now, get the (expletive) out of here," said MacBride. "I literally come out that side door, and these two kids are like, hey, he's got a gun. And then everybody just woosh, they just dispersed totally."

Metro Man Says Teen Mob Terrorized His Neighborhood - WDAF

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    like i said before---

the judicious display of a willingness to use force may be more effective than the actual use of it

------------------

situations are fluid--and the longer an event drags on, generally the bleaker it becomes for the lone man.

thus--fast to neutralize the initial happenance and

--faster to exit the area.
    TVJ likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You can nitpick all you want. These mobs have been designated as criminal flash mobs by both media and law enforcement as they are coordinated online .My department and surrounding jurisdictions specifically designate them as such in all memos and alerts I have read. Oh and non-violent flash mobs are ridiculous and have jumped the shark in my opinion.
    Fair enough, if it's organized via txt or online in a manner matching a traditional flash mob, I don't have a leg to stand on with my nitpicking. You got me there :) However, I think a few examples on your list are just roaming bands of bored, dangerously aimless young people causing mayhem. That was more or less why I tried to bring the label thing up.

As far as flash mobs being metrosexual or silly, I have no idea there. I've seen some cool things done musically, and good deeds accomplished too, and have nothing against amusing themes either. To each their own as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My advice to nothing good happens after midnight, stay out of crowded areas, especially where alcohol is involved and stay aware and prepare to run out of the area FAST at the first sign of trouble. Standing around gawking and rubbernecking to see what is going on could prove fatal.
    Good advice!!!!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links