How would you handle a violent flash mob?

This is a discussion on How would you handle a violent flash mob? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is becoming more prevalent all around the country. Notably in more anti-gun or restrictive communities but not limited to such. Are you prepared for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How would you handle a violent flash mob?

It is becoming more prevalent all around the country. Notably in more anti-gun or restrictive communities but not limited to such.

Are you prepared for this? Are you prepared to use extreme violence on multiple individuals to protect your self and family?

My advice to nothing good happens after midnight, stay out of crowded areas, especially where alcohol is involved and stay aware and prepare to run out of the area FAST at the first sign of trouble. Standing around gawking and rubbernecking to see what is going on could prove fatal.

Examples:

AKRON, OH -- Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

NO. VIRGINIA -- Three people were beaten by mobs in Northern Virginia in two separate incidents that occurred within five minutes of each other on Saturday night, authorities said.

SOUTH CAROLINA - Four members of a teenage gang have been charged under a state's lynching law after allegedly beating an 18-year-old student so badly he required facial reconstruction surgery.

PHILLY - A WOMAN'S leg was broken and several other people were injured Saturday night when a large group of teens accosted pedestrians in Spring Garden, police and witnesses said.

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio -- About 40 Cleveland Heights police officers had to control a crowd of unruly teenagers in the last hour of the Coventry Street Arts Fair Sunday, an event hat closes Coventry Road every summer from Mayfield Road to Euclid Heights Boulevard.

DC - Shyt Really Got Real: D.C. Caribbean Festival 2011 Brawl Outside Howard University! (Fat Boy Goes Wrestlemania.. Smacking Boys With A Steel Chair) [2 Different Camera Angles]

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Darby Borough, Delaware County is under a State of Emergency due to a recent uptick of gun violence. Five shootings in three days led to the announcement Friday night.

CHICAGO - Warm summer nights tend to bring out troublemakers, and Saturday night was a good example. Police believe the same group of 15 to 20 young men was responsible for five separate attacks. One man was sitting on a bench in Streeterville. One was parking his motor scooter near Northwestern University's downtown campus. Three others were on the lakefront bike path. All were beaten and four were robbed.

CHICAGO - Over the weekend, four assaults and violent robberies were committed -- at least one in broad daylight -- in downtown Chicago's glittering shopping district, crimes that have stoked growing fears of criminal teen flash mobs.
    One man had a baseball bat thrown so hard at his head that his motor-scooter helmet was knocked off, before being dragged into the street and beaten by a group of 15 to 20 young males, the Chicago Tribune reports. Another was knocked off his bicycle, punched by a group of teens, and robbed of his cellphone and camera. Two others lost electronic devices in group robberies, as the Chicago Sun-Times wrote in a round-up Monday morning.

UPPER DARBY, PA Police in Upper Darby, Pa. released this surveillance video of some 40 people who allegedly robbed the Sears store. Police got some of the merchandise back when they caught 16 of the suspects. They say they were all from West Philadelphia, and that all but one of them are underage. Police say the crime may have been coordinated online.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ideally i would be 4 blocks away and still moving.
    if it happened, formed around me, unlikely as i very much avoid crowds, i would be moving to an edge with the most avenue of perceived clearance.
    but i am thinking more as in a tourist area and the street scene gets ugly.

as you have posted examples of events occurring in fringe/bad areas and after sun down; the answer is--its a free country but one can get hurt expressing their right to be somewhere
    ahead of how smart it is to be exercising that right at that moment in that place.
    so my answer goes to avoidance 1st, 2nd and 3rd....even if required the use of violance is a poor 4th
    azchevy likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

That would depend on the circumstances. If time and space allow, present and threaten the use of lethal force and attempt withdrawal. If insufficient time and space, use lethal force until the threat abates and/or escape is possible
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Disengage, disengage, disengage.... if/when that fails I am likely to be afraid for my life and the lives of those with me and I will then act accordingly.
    bcvojak and WvHiker like this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    One note about that 18 year-old in Columbia, SC. He was running home right after mid-night, a few minutes late for his curfew. He stopped to text someone and that is when three or four of the bg's attacked him. It sounds like if he had kept up his SA or even waited 3 minutes until he got home to send that text, he could have avoided the whole situation. The thugs had attepmted to harrass or rob a couple of other people but gave up on them.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    phreddy----texting---kills. thats ugly. what ever happened to SA? as in--
    your phone 'hears' you say CALL BILL and you have auto dial and you speak-out-loud what you have to say.

I'm older and obviously am missing out on some aspect of texting--- ya i get it: you are t.e.l.l.i.n.g someone something, you do not want to actually speak with them--BS.

but however you employ technology--do it in a SA manner. thats what i am saying.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well if I was out on the town I'd probably be with my wife. My reaction depends on what kind of shoes she's wearing honestly. I tell her to keep moving at a fast walk towards our vehicle; I slow down and backpedal while telling them to back away. If I feel truly threatened I draw OC and yell at her to run while putting my hand on my M&P. If they keep coming I spray the whole group. If I still feel in danger of life and limb I start shooting whoever looks like the greater threat at the time while backpedaling quickly. Once I'm empty I turn and sprint. I'll pick my wife up and carry her if I have to, but I'm getting the heck out of Dodge.

If the threat seems too great at the time, I may skip one or more steps.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

If it was bad enough; Flash mob = Muzzle flash
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

azchevy, I don't know if you saw the links given here in a recent thread, so if not, here is my response from a similar thread. Post#34

From the following thread True Story in the News 6/5/11: Flash Mob in Chicago: 2 Severely Beaten & Robbed

Lots of good advice in that thread as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm getting to old to fight, I'm to fat to run. But, I'm not going down without one HECKuva FIGHT!

First: If I can get away, I do.

If escape is not an option, my first tactical priority to protect my six the best way I can. While I'm moving towards something I can get my bac against, I'll be trying to de-escalate through some choice conversation.

However, "IF" the attack has started already my first goal is to take out the primary aggressors. It's been my experience that no matter how big the mob, it usually boils down to just two or three "main" aggressors. Hopefully, by taking them out of the equation the rest will lose their will to fight.

If that still doesn't work I keep defending my self as long and as VICIOUSLY as I possibly can.

VIP Member
    As in any dangerous situation, flight is the first option I will try. If that is not possible........well the closest attacker will hopefully make a good speed bump for his friends.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

While every situation is different, I have been in a few similar situations, whether you call them "flash mobs" or not and I have yet to run into someone who believed that their face would stop a SD caliber projectile.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome and carry a high magazine capacity EDC.

I was fortunate enough to watch what two pepper ball guns can do to several dozen individuals in a minor riot type setting fueled by alcohol and Lord knows what else.

When whats being sent their way hurts, the mob has a tendency to disperse rather quickly.

I think if absolutely needed a properly placed 9mm or similar SD round would in most instances have the same or more effect on the groups continued activities.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Reload...Reload...Reload...
    Snider likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Take out the leader of the "troop" immediately, then any others who may be foolish enough to continue. No OC spray, no defuse the situation, they want mayhem, this they shall receive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links