What To do - Strange Visitor at the Door

This is a discussion on What To do - Strange Visitor at the Door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; last year about a month after i moved into my current house before i was carrying something with me or in the car all the ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Stubborn
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: What To do - Strange Visitor at the Door

What To do - Strange Visitor at the Door

last year about a month after i moved into my current house before i was carrying something with me or in the car all the time, i was pulling up to my house out in the country and there was a car with new york plates sitting on the side of the road it was not a nice looking car by any means, but i drove right by and got into the house and checked to make sure no one was in there. I called the non Emergency number for the country sheriffs and just told them there was a car just sitting there and i didn't know if they needed any help. about 10 mins after i called them the lady came up to the house i was out mowing the lawn and was taking a break in the house when the doorbell rang it was the lady out of the car and all she asked for was some water for her small dogs she had with her so i gave her some water and she left. Which made me very nervous and i had my shotgun sitting right there by the door with me. normally if the car would have had local plates i would have stopped because i know most of the people in my area and it could have been something simple that they needed help with. The Sheriff showed up about 45 mins after i called and i saw them leave and follow them towards town. later on that night i called the sheriffs office to see what happened with it and they said that they were simply lost and that they were going to some road that i haven't ever heard of that i am about 99.9% sure that it doesn't exist as i have lived there most of my lift and know there area very well. i just want to know if what i did was right or what i should do differently if this every happens again which is highly possible as there is quite a bit of traffic on the road that i live on.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You did everything right. You stayed calm, and prepared for the worst. You also called the cops and got things documented in case something else may happen.

You were polite and helped the lady who came to your door, and in the end it ended up being no big deal.

The only thing I would do differently would be to have not mowed the lawn until I was certain the person in the vehicle was no threat. Whether that being arming my self and going up and talking to the person, or just waiting for the LEO to show up I don't know. Unless someone is actually there and feeling safe, or threatened, no one can tell you how to respond to a situation like this.

Sometimes a duck is just a duck, not a vulture. You were alert and you were a good Samaritan so it sounds like you covered all the bases. Don't over think it to the point of paranoia. You did just right.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Sometimes a duck is just a duck, not a vulture. You were alert and you were a good Samaritan so it sounds like you covered all the bases. Don't over think it to the point of paranoia. You did just right.
    Good job

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Agreed, though I'd be a little jumpier for a couple days myself.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

ya i was definitely on edge for a while after that i moved about six miles away from my parents place where i grew up but that was a mile off any paved road and the only day there was more then three or four cars driving down it was Sunday when people were going to the church just down the road, there are alot of people going up and down that road is there anything that i can do to make the house maybe look unappealing to someone that would want to stop and rob the place or anything like that but that wouldn't involve building a huge fence around the whole property which would probably just make people want to come in even more because they would think there was something good to steal then

Senior Moderator
    Changed the thread title per this thread: Scenario Thread Titles

I also live in the boondocks. One thing to consider is the sheriff's response time in case of an actual 911 call. I know you called the non emergency number. Listening to my police scanner on occasion, I've noticed long response times to 911 calls due to distance, work load, directions to find the place, etc. At :45 minutes to respond to a suspicious vehicle, that's a little excessive in MHO. As the old saying goes, when seconds count, the police are minutes, minutes and more minutes away. You did well except for leaving your house. I would have been in condition yellow / orange thinking it could have been a set up.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I lived out in the sticks for a good bit of my life, and it's unnerving just how long you might be waiting if you call 911 compared to the city response time. A judge in the county I grew up in published an opinion in the local papers stating that residents should arm themselves and be trained if they wish to be responsibly safe in their community. Minds were blown.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I lived out in the sticks for a good bit of my life, and it's unnerving just how long you might be waiting if you call 911 compared to the city response time. A judge in the county I grew up in published an opinion in the local papers stating that residents should arm themselves and be trained if they wish to be responsibly safe in their community. Minds were blown.
    Funny how "common sense" blows the minds of those who lack it.

You did fine "Gixxerboy" not too much and not too little, provided you do have a grenade launcher on your mower...right?
    Snider likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gasmitty likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Funny how "common sense" blows the minds of those who lack it.

You did fine "Gixxerboy" not too much and not too little, provided you do have a grenade launcher on your mower...right?
    And white phosphorus on the snow blower sir. You got that right

"What To do - Strange Visitor at the Door"
    Don't answer the door! Just because someone is at the knocks, screams, or kicks, doesn't mean you have to open it.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Links