Planned Bug In Place...Whats To Have?

This is a discussion on Planned Bug In Place...Whats To Have? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the wife and I and 2 neighbors have been thinking about how and where we live; south west of DC leaves us little options should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Planned Bug In Place...Whats To Have?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar

Planned Bug In Place...Whats To Have?

the wife and I and 2 neighbors have been thinking about how and where we live; south west of DC leaves us little options should social unrest become a reality. The 6 of us, along with 8 kids from 18 months to 11 are in agreement that unrest would accrue in stages--not with much knowledge added from the 'experts'. Our 3 homes in a row back up against a hill and we have been doing small things over the past 3 years: digging into the hill to relive our youth with forts--try to spin what we do as something innocuous. Though a bit better constructed and with a generator and some branches for hygiene and storage. plan is loosely that 'we the people' will know nothing about what is truly happening in the downtown parts of the cities. Our 1st event driven conditions will --consensus here is that they inner peoples will take 3 to 8 days to eat them selves out of whats in their neighborhood and than begin moving on the suburbs. Little or no gasoline means they will move by foot in mass and rest and loot by night.

Optimally we tunnel from house to house and than to the hill. couple more years by hand ( cover our work with 'home improvements'-- pool, fancy gardesns.....)
    map wise after 'they' arrive it would be a week before --they either get & burn everything and move on or--the govt gets some plan of action which actually gets safe back into our lives.

decisions already made

---we will not let 'them, the govt' make us leave, we hide from them as well as the more obvious thieves.
    ---we have ( will have ) 3 months supplies; food, water , medicine, etc
    ---we are willing to let the looters burn, or......still discussing the pros of defense vs the cons of letting then know we are there.

---we do not wish to overtly confront our own young men and women in the dress of our military, yet we will not allow ourselves to be 'taken to a camp for our safety"
    ---lots of lines to be drawn and were to put them and with how much wiggle room....

---and survival tools include guns and ammo. 4 of the 6 adults are better than average and the 11 year old boy is a rifle champ.

right now i question what type of training we can all benefit from and the selection of guns we should work with.

and after the '90 days' there is barter ( have some small gold coins and silved......and ammo to carefully trade.

ideas, help please...can we do TEOTWAWKI one step deeper in both directions?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Depends on your preference, and what your comfortable carrying. For some it's a snubbie, for others a smaller semi auto, and still others will carry a full size gun for their second (back up).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    An exit plan.
    Bark'n and jwhite75 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    An exit plan.
    Great answer no one knows about tomorrow!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

There is a considerable difference between social unrest/riots/etc and TEOTWAWKI.

The former generally starts in the inner cities and may move to the suburbs. That depends on the size of the social unrest/riot/etc and the forces that are brought to bear to quell it. Commerce (food, etc) and services (electricity, nat gas, water, gasoline) outside the areas involved are usually unaffected.

The latter is an entirely different matter. Depending on the nature of the event, commerce and services will likely cease over wide areas, if not virtually everywhere. Movement by vehicle near heavily populated areas will probably be difficult or untenable due to abandon vehicles on freeways and highways.

I think that your preparations would be viable if not excessive for the former, but not viable for the latter. Six to eight armed people will not be proof against any armed group of any size. The psychological stress of remaining hidden with eight children will be immense. Should you manage the above for three months, what will you do for food and water after that?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In the event of a breakdown in the ordinary infrastructure of society, what makes you think there will be a need to hide or protect against marauding gangs of villains? Do you think that poorly of your fellow citizens?

If you do, in fact, believe that everyone around you is a member of the mindless zombie flesh-eating hordes and only you and your neighbors are civilized, then you may have problems larger than a redoubt can address.

What we've seen in Japan, China, Russia, and other places that have suffered massive catastrophes is that civilization continues, as it always has. Rather than hiding in holes and hording goods, it's incumbent on the able survivors to lead reconstruction and relief efforts.
    TVJ and Hopyard like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have also been doing some planning in this area. The following site is outstanding and covers in detail: food stores, shelter, transportation, weapons, medical care.......

Survival Guide - Captain Dave´s Survival Center

Shockwave,
    I agree, with the qualifier that none of those events reached a level I would consider TEOTWAWKI. In addition, there is a difference between disasters and anarchy.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 90 days is a (somewhat realistic) time span that the govt would need to bring under control and distribute resources to a large number of affected areas. areas being town lets in and around med to large cities (50K population ). problem is gasolines , diesel on which goods move. or rather will not move till the docks are under control and the passage ways ( highways) are safe to travel again.

that 'we' the hidden would try to avoid contact with the marauding peoples rather than defend a home from damage hurts the psyche but may be the proper thing to do. along with Capt Dave and the boyscout guide I'm wanting a precision rifle, silenced and effective past 600 yards. let any who are making trouble ponder their strategy from the great far-away. a 1911 with red dot for inside 100 yards and a some 22's ( cz-452 for the cooking pot).

exit strategy, actually 2 besides the tunnel to one of the houses. ideally one wold go deep into the hill and have a high up view of the area. perhaps even get a camera up there powered by the generate/ batteries.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

right now i question what type of training we can all benefit from and the selection of guns we should work with.

and after the '90 days' there is barter ( have some small gold coins and silved......and ammo to carefully trade.

As for training, I would encourage you to consider Tactical Response, and the following courses they offer: Fighting Pistol, Fighting Rifle, Fighting Shotgun, BugOut101, and Immediate Action Medical. You can build on your training from there. Don't forget to have a good .22 rifle and ammo (i.e. Ruger 10-22 for teaching the kids) for trading as well. Perhaps consider an Armorers class for your weapons and spare parts for common items. Don't forget tactical and/or personal communications that you could utilize between "bunkered" locations in the hill. Teach the kids how to shoot, how to use a pocket knife, basic cooking, gear maintenance (i.e. flashlights, first aid kit, etc), situational awareness, self aid, first aid, and how to "lost proof" themselves (i.e. visual signals, whistles, etc). Don't forget to have a couple of good survival (back to the basics type) books. Try this site for the books: http://www.survivalblog.com/bookshelf.html ....

I'll stop...this should keep the families busy for a while!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

TEOTWAWKI = "Book of Eli" type situation. I don't think anyone is really prepared for that situation.

I don't know if I want to be either.

I am pretty prepared for disasters/civil unrest/limited anarchy in the short term. Four to six months, a year at the outside, if things don't start to stabilize by then, and people don't start rebuilding, a lot of people are going to be in a world of hurt.

I have some skills and a working brain for when supplies are gone or unavailable. It's hard to grow your own food and farm if you have to be on the move or if the land is destroyed. I don't look forward to having to be a long term scavenger. Just getting too old to do that.

What I have at my disposal is living in a small rural community with abundant cattle, crop and poultry resources. Everyone knows everyone and pretty supportive of their neighbors. I believe our town will go on lock-down, enforce and prevent outsiders from pillaging our resources.

If circumstances dictate having to leave the area, things are not going to be fun.
    Guantes likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I will just be a zombie and roam the earth in search of brains.
    Spidey2011 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n
    What I have at my disposal is living in a small rural community with abundant cattle, crop and poultry resources. Everyone knows everyone and pretty supportive of their neighbors. I believe our town will go on lock-down, enforce and prevent outsiders from pillaging our resources.
    My choice also. A number of the survival gurus favored a small town, including Mel Tappan.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    the wife and I and 2 neighbors have been thinking about how and where we live; south west of DC leaves us little options should social unrest become a reality. The 6 of us, along with 8 kids from 18 months to 11 are in agreement that unrest would accrue in stages--not with much knowledge added from the 'experts'. Our 3 homes in a row back up against a hill and we have been doing small things over the past 3 years: digging into the hill to relive our youth with forts--try to spin what we do as something innocuous. Though a bit better constructed and with a generator and some branches for hygiene and storage. plan is loosely that 'we the people' will know nothing about what is truly happening in the downtown parts of the cities. Our 1st event driven conditions will --consensus here is that they inner peoples will take 3 to 8 days to eat them selves out of whats in their neighborhood and than begin moving on the suburbs. Little or no gasoline means they will move by foot in mass and rest and loot by night.

Optimally we tunnel from house to house and than to the hill. couple more years by hand ( cover our work with 'home improvements'-- pool, fancy gardesns.....)
    map wise after 'they' arrive it would be a week before --they either get & burn everything and move on or--the govt gets some plan of action which actually gets safe back into our lives.

decisions already made

---we will not let 'them, the govt' make us leave, we hide from them as well as the more obvious thieves.
    ---we have ( will have ) 3 months supplies; food, water , medicine, etc
    ---we are willing to let the looters burn, or......still discussing the pros of defense vs the cons of letting then know we are there.

---we do not wish to overtly confront our own young men and women in the dress of our military, yet we will not allow ourselves to be 'taken to a camp for our safety"
    ---lots of lines to be drawn and were to put them and with how much wiggle room....

---and survival tools include guns and ammo. 4 of the 6 adults are better than average and the 11 year old boy is a rifle champ.

I think it's time to take up a nice hobby like golf.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Shockwave, Guantes and Hamlet have said it all. Hey--to each his own. If you really believe that your actions are necessary, have at it.
    The scenario being discussed in this thread reminds me of a Twilight show in which a poorly-sighted bookworm of a man, who works in a bank, is reading a book in the bank vault when essentially all life disappears in some form of cataclysmic event. He comes out from the vault with his book. a firearm that was in the vault, and is kind of relieved that he can spend all his time reading books now that society has left him alone. As he sits on the bank steps after taking his glasses off, he ends up stepping on the glasses and destroys them and now cannot see very well. The show ends with him sitting there alone with the gun, his broken glasses, the book he loves, and no one to bother him---the show leaves it up to you to decide what he will do now.
    Bottom line: Enjoy life to its fullest, play golf as Hamlet said, and yah--do some planning for disasters--but apocalypse? Hey-whatever grabs you.
    Peace my friend and God Bless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links