Issue with the neighbor

This is a discussion on Issue with the neighbor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why were they not charging your neighbor with a false police report? You were not carrying. Why are they forwarding to anyone to possibly revoke ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Issue with the neighbor

Why were they not charging your neighbor with a false police report? You were not carrying. Why are they forwarding to anyone to possibly revoke your permit??? LAWYER UP, and have no further conversations with the neighbor or the police without your lawyer present or consulted. Over time, nothing good is going to come out of having bad blood with a neighbor. Depending on the position you're in, consider relocating if it is feasible. If not, consider a 6 foot privacy fence and a guard dog. Much less expensive in the long run than ongoing legal fees.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

having bad neighbors sucks......thats why i usually just MYOB when someone new moves in next door and avoid contact.....

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Here's some advice for you, since you're asking:

1. It is paramount to avoid conflict with neighbors. No matter how justified your plaint, forgive much, say little. A hostile neighbor can make your life very unhappy.

2. Find a way to patch this fiasco up, if you can.

If your neighbor likes bourbon or such, buy a nice bottle, bring it over, have a few drinks and shake on things. This is not weakness, it is about the permanent cessation of conflict.

Also, there's another lesson in all this about being discreet with your firearms. That's a more complicated matter and space here does not permit an extended exegesis, but it's something to think about in depth.

NIce idea.

There is already a dual no contact standing order and the neighbor plays dirty.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Thank you everyone for your passionate responses. I appreciate everyones input.

First thing in tomorrow morning I'm headed to the PD to get a copy of the report, followed by a call to an attorney. Unfortunately finances hamper much attorney actions, however most do have the free consultation.

I am also researching the option to FOIA request a copy of the actual 911 call. I believe that will help determine further actions. I am also not sure of how to proceed with an actual court ordered no contact order, butasm researching as much as possible.

As for the question of the pink lines.... I have no idea who painted them.... For all I know it could have been them creating a point to argue. I called the "One Call" number to inquire on any surveying.... They had no records of any locating request in ouwr neighborhood. Also contacted the permits and planning section of the city to no avail.

I am also looking into 8' privacy fence boards. We currently have a 6' fence in place, but due to the terrain that really provides us no privacy. Thankfully the city permits for fences up to 8' tall.

As for making amends, buying the liquer, sharing some drinks, etc... I do not foresee that as an option. For many reasons at that. They proved their true colors, and for our own safety I believe it is in our best interest to not associatewith them at all.

Open carrying on my own property will also cease for my own best interest.

One post said they'd rather have a disagreement with their family than their neighbors as you can pick and choose when you see your family, you can't do that with your neighbors.... I couldn't agree more!!!!

Again, Thank you!

Btw: recommended edits have been completed.

X

I feel bad fir you as your btw a rock and a hard spot. Try to bury the hatchet anyway you can then never interact with them again. Good luck.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

B94
    Ximat1

Sounds like a real mess. Good luck solving your situation.
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

See, this sort of stupidity is why I can't wait for the Zombie Apocalypse to start!
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

good luck..hope things work out

If you know you are going to talk with your neighbor again for any reason, I would record it (assuming that is legal in your state) most smart-phones these days can do voice-recording. Just turn it on before the encounter. It might not hurt to get some security cameras on your house. If this had happened to me, I would have been able to show the police the video recording of our encounter and they would have seen no gun.

Be careful what you tell the police. I'm not one of those people who think all police are out to get you, quite the opposite. However, if the police do believe you are guilty they can find ways to use what you say to them against you. That is the whole point of the Miranda thing. There is no such thing as an "off the record" conversation with any policeman. Even if they flat out tell you it is off the record, it is still on the record. So just be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You have the right to open carry... And these are some of the problems open carry brings to the table. You can be as indignant as you want, you're still going to be scrutinized by those who don't like guns. And now, you're kind of under a microscope.

Missouri is an open carry state, and I rarely see people open carrying, except around hunting season....
    How do you know the OP is in Missouri?

In SC, you cannot open carry. The CC permit allows you to do only that...concealed carry.

2 points to make:

1) You've learned a lesson Benjamin Franklin stated a long time ago: "Neither a lender nor borrower be." Borrowing stuff makes for sour relations.

2) You have now engaged in what SC would call "mutual combat" with your neighbor. No matter what happens in the future, it would be very difficult for you to prove a justifiable shooting if you are attacked. Be careful. Again...I'm talking SC.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Pocket video recorder left turned on at all times.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    How do you know the OP is in Missouri?

In SC, you cannot open carry. The CC permit allows you to do only that...concealed carry.

2 points to make:

1) You've learned a lesson Benjamin Franklin stated a long time ago: "Neither a lender nor borrower be." Borrowing stuff makes for sour relations.

2) You have now engaged in what SC would call "mutual combat" with your neighbor. No matter what happens in the future, it would be very difficult for you to prove a justifiable shooting if you are attacked. Be careful. Again...I'm talking SC.

He does not reside in Missouri. The OP had his state of residence originally listed in his profile. I urged him not to post his state of residence to make it more difficult for his neighbor to locate him on the internet. I'm assuming that in his state he is perfectly legal to open carry on his property, which he stated he does. Assuming he's a law abiding citizen, I did not think he would violate his states open carry laws and risk losing his ccw permit.

Regarding "mutual combat," I didn't know a verbal disagreement constituted "mutual combat" under the law. Exactly how many decibels must one raise their voice in order to constitute "mutual combat?"

I do not believe the OP mentioned anything about a physical confrontation or any physical contact with the neighbor which would constitute a battery. It is my understanding mutual combat is a theory to determine a degree of guilt or culpability once a battery has been committed. I could be mistaken though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post

SC seems to allow open carry for persons on their real property (or anothers with owner permission)...

S.C. Code of Laws Title 16 Chapter 23 Offenses Involving Weapons - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

SECTION 16-23-20, item (8)

As to the OP, I agree with others above.

I would avoid open carry and if financially possible, I'd install home security cameras.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'll add this. If you even conceal carry on your property, make sure there is no printing, partial openness of the weapon or holster, and absolutely no sign of a gun on you. He could see you printing and call the cops again. They show up and you having a weapon on you and it's not gonna be good for you.

Because of this a-hole your freedoms at home are now compromised.

Also talk to your local police chief and tell him how ridiculous their response was. There was absolutely no need for a frigging SWAT response to this. One or two officers with one backup car would have sufficed. Of course, this depends on what the neighbor told them.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    1. You need to talk with a lwayer.
    2. As far as I know, a CC permit "allows" one to carry concealed. It no way implies the holder "must" carry concealed when open carry is permitted, such as on your own property/business.
    3. If the neighbor ever enters your property again without your express permission, have him trespassed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links