Issue with the neighbor - Page 4

Issue with the neighbor

This is a discussion on Issue with the neighbor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't read all the responses, so if I repeat someones sentiments, apologies in advance. I'm a little confused here. Unless I'm mistaken, your neighbor ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Issue with the neighbor

I didn't read all the responses, so if I repeat someones sentiments, apologies in advance.

I'm a little confused here. Unless I'm mistaken, your neighbor is the one that threatened you with kicking your but which prompted you to go inside and not participate in the bicker match any further...

I think I would be seeking counsel from an attorney and even possibly swear out a warrant against the neighbor for threatening you with physical violence on your own property. It sounds like that loser needs to spend some time in the local poky and come off with some cash of his own to teach his butt a thing or two. If you truly never threatened him with retaliation using your firearm, I'd press it to the max with that idiot; abiding by all the local and ethical laws afforded a citizen of course. In the mean time just avoid the nutjob and don't play his game.

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I feel for the OP, this is one tough situation and definitely time to get counsel.

We're in our third home. First two were close quarter suburbs, and I learned that lots of neighbors is definitely not a good thing. Same thing as a kid growing up, the more people around the more likely to encounter bad people. Current homestead is 'burbs again, but on 5 acres with no close neighbors. We know each other, nod hello and wave, but do not socialize. It's worked great for a dozen years, highly recommend it.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Folks, I hate to say it, but neighbors...if you have them...are just like any other relationship...they must be maintained. There has to be effort on both parts and when one partner drops their end, the other should try to go the extra mile. Things crumble when no one will give the other the benefit of the doubt.

That's hindsight in this case of course. I also would love to live without sight nor sign of another human, but practicality says no, for now. So altho I'm rural, I do have neighbors. Personally I think it's better to establish positive relations from the beginning to set a good foundation (even tho I really dont want to be involved. Also, over the yrs, we all have come to each other's aid at one time or another) The relationship with my 4 neighbors differs with each one, just like any other relationship in life. With one, it's excellent, the others, once the foundation was laid, is mostly nod and smile....those rare times I see them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I've seen too many people say , I can't afford an attorney, I can't afford an attorney....

and then on their way to jail ..

I should have gotten the attorney, I should have gotten the attorney, I should have gotten the attorney.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've told my wife that our next house is going to be smack in the middle of about 50+ wooded acres surrounded with fence. No more neighborhoods for me.
    That's where I live. I can walk outside in my underwear and nobody sees a thing. Wait...that didn't come out right.
    Deerbnb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Lol, I wish I could say the same, Jdf. I have about 3 acres, but I am in a subdivision. I don't think I could handle being any closer to my neighbors. No... I know that I couldn't. Hopefully, I will have more land and fewer neighbors someday...

My neighbors don't know I own guns and I want to keep it that way. I have a garage where I load up to head to the range. I think a garage is more important than a large lot for this reason. Of course with a lot of acres I suppose you could load up outside and not be seen. But a garage with curtains on windows assures your not being seen.

Yes I like to discuss guns, but not with my neighbors. I discuss guns on forums like this and at gun clubs where none of my neighbors are members.

And for this reason I am not an open carry fan. For me only value of open carry is if my garment pulls up by accident - it keeps me legal.
    Bark'n likes this.

I took time to interview my neighbors before I considered bidding on my house, and I hope they never leave (with the economy being what it is, that might just be a wish I get!). The next door neighbors are so nice that I feared they would wander into our house on a whim to say hi if we left the door unlocked for a minute. They yell "come in!" when I knock and they have no idea who is at the door. I had opportunity to warn them to knock and wait if they do stop over, as we were robbed not long ago and we have "a gun in the house now". They seemed to understand, and were very appreciative of our stance (even went so far as to say they really need to get a gun too, and learn how to use it - neighborhood violence is on the rise).

I don't envy you OP, and hope that things either a) grind to a halt right where they are, and no more action takes place on any side of that fence of yours, or b) you manage to get the situation in hand legally and avoid potentially having your guns removed via restraining order. I will not OC in my yard having read this nightmare story, that's for darn sure!

Update:

Went to PD the first business day following this incident to get a copy of the police report. I must advise anyone... If you EVER have a police report filed for any reason get a copy of it!!! I got the copy and read over it... There was one statement on the report that was inacurate. I went to the desk sargeant and notified her of the concern. She paged her supervisor to come speak to me. When the supervisor came out it was one of the officers that had responded to my residence for this incident. This actually worked to my advantage. I informed the officer of my concern, the officer stated that they knew that the statement was incorrect, and they went to their office to correct it.

I then spoke to the officer regarding the statements made the night of the incident, specifically regarding the one about my concealed carry permit, and them filing a report and forwarding it to the CCW issuing agency. The officer said that that statement was false, and possibly said to "scare me", and the report wont be filed with anyone but their agency, and was the report was made to simply document what happened in case any further incidents happen between the neighbor and I.

I am sure there are pleanty of readers here that are going to say dont believe a word the LEO say especially since they are countering what was said a few days before. I got the name and address of the Chief of Police for this agency, and am sending them a certified letter in regards to the conflicting statements. I will send this first thing monday.

The supervising officer I spoke with also told me to contact their mediation office to try and set up a mediated meeting with the neighbor. The officer also gave me the contact information for the Prosecuting Attorney's office and told me to visit them regarding an order of protection, or a no contact order.

I went to the prosecuting attorney's office that same day to file a report. I received a call back from them today. They said there is nothing that can be done on their part at this time, however, if any further unwanted contact is received from the neighbor to call the police, file an additional report, and return to the prosecuting attorney's office again. UGH!

I completely agree with most of the responses i've received on here, that it is a pain in the ass to get in a dispute with your neighbors! As I put in my first follow up post, I wont be OC'ing on the exterior of my property at all again. Inside is another matter, and I'll do that all I want, outside will stop. As for mending fences with the neighbor... This will not happen. I do not desire for my family to have any contact with these neighbors at all. I will actually be installing a taller fence rather than "mending it". To me, this situation was taken way out of control on their part, absoluetly un-repairable.

Next step is to inquire on a property survey to get the property lines properly, and undesputably marked.

Durring my visit to the PD I also put in a FOIA request for a copy of the 911 call. Once I get a copy of that and can get specifics of the actual call I may pursue the false police report option further.

It is such a shame that this situation has come about, and come about in this manner. I am still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened. In replaying everything that happened in my mind, I don't believe I would do anything different. Had I stayed outside after he threatened me, I could have gotten my tail kicked... Not my choice of a fun time. Had I said anything else to him, it could have gotten worse. Had I turned around and said anything else to him as I was walking back to my house, it could have gotten worse. Instead I chose to return to my house and stay inside... Perhaps the only thing I would have done different would have been to call the police myself before he had a chance, however, at that time, I did not feel that was needed. I felt it would have been something that would blow over and the next day I'd have gotten an apology. I was very wrong there. But on the same note, I don't think every threat to have your tail kick warrents a call to the police. If that were the case, they police would receive an awefull lot of phone calls!

The officer did say that even though I am a law abiding citizen, and followed the law by informing the neighbor that I was carrying the previous times i'd visiting their house I opened myself to his knowledge of me having weapons and he is more than welcome to "report me for carrying a weapon" however if they receive any false alarm calls from him he would be dealt with accordingly.

To correct some of the posts on here... The neighbor had been informed I carry due to state law before I'd OC'd on my property. He knew I own, and carry before he'd seen me OC.

So after all my ramblings... Im still curious to know what others would have done? I got the what would you do part... Call an attorney.. I get it... But what about before that... Would you have turned around and walked away? Would you have stood your ground since the castle doctrine allows you to not have to retreat since you werent the instigating party, and you were on your own property?

Thanks!

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Update:

...Had I stayed outside after he threatened me, I could have gotten my tail kicked... Not my choice of a fun time. Had I said anything else to him, it could have gotten worse. Had I turned around and said anything else to him as I was walking back to my house, it could have gotten worse.

X
    True enough. But, had you had stayed and gotten your tail kicked, he would have been in jail for assaulting you on your property, the report would have reflected that, he would have had a criminal record, a no-contact order would have been a done deal, and you would stand on much better ground for all future events should anything develop. I'm just sayin'

Provided that you didn't fight back and turn the event into a "mutual combat" type situation. Because when push comes to shove, regardless of what you may have said that may have provoked getting your butt kicked, mere words can not justify a physical response. What you say to him during an argument can not justify him hitting you. He would have likely been arrested for assault had you called the police after the incident.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, I would keep following up at a minimum, and still pursue the false report aspect going.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You read threads like this and you take the comments with a grain of salt. Sure sounds like supposed scenarios like this give fuel to the gun control advocates. The thread starts in "nowhere"--sounds like the right place. As others have said, it it is true, you do not post it and you get an attorney. Glad I do not live in "nowhere".

VIP Member
    "The neighbor had been informed I carry due to state law before I'd OC'd on my property. He knew I own, and carry before he'd seen me OC."

Nowhere doesn't help us understand things. What state (if any really) requires you to notify your neighbor before you OC on your own property?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    " What state (if any really) requires you to notify your neighbor before you OC on your own property?
    I was wondering the same thing...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    considering moving and renting my house out under Section 8. I would not normally do this to a neighbor, but ..............
    Awesome idea!!!!!!

Let him then get a real taste of what horrible neighbors really act like when some trash moves in.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links