Issue with the neighbor

This is a discussion on Issue with the neighbor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally moved. Bought a new house and moved in the middle of winter. While neighbors was not my only motivating factor, it was a ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Issue with the neighbor

I finally moved. Bought a new house and moved in the middle of winter. While neighbors was not my only motivating factor, it was a major component. I lived for six years with neighbors on both sides of me and and across the street being unemployed drug users, dealers and likely one meth manufacturer.

About two years ago, one of them ended up being sent to prison for 5 years for beating his g/f. He still has a pending court case over dealing drugs to an undercover task force officer so he may end up with more than the 5 for assault. But since his mom owned the house he was living in, she moved in when he went to prison and she's just as involved with the same seedy druggies as her son was.

While none of them ever bothered me, I was always afraid to leave for any period of time and get cleaned out. Wife and I went camping once for a few days and I was a nervous wreck the whole time we were gone.

Oh, moving sucked big time. But in the long run, after it was said and done, I think back at how much stress I was under living next to scumbag neighbors who were always a nagging risk of getting ripped off. I know one of them had done prison time for burglary in the past as it was. I have no regrets making the move, as inconvenient as it was.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't have even opened the door to talk the police; if they kick it in they kick it in. I would have started to look for a lawyer while they were knocking on the door.

If your story is accurate, your neighbor is a complete sissy. It sucks that this guy is going to screw up your life, and it sucks even more that we live in a day and age when an ass kicking would be the least of his worries. For most of human history someone messing with you like this would call for extreme levels of violence.

But alas, that time has passed. Lawyer up man.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    You read threads like this and you take the comments with a grain of salt. Sure sounds like supposed scenarios like this give fuel to the gun control advocates. The thread starts in "nowhere"--sounds like the right place. As others have said, it it is true, you do not post it and you get an attorney. Glad I do not live in "nowhere".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I was wondering the same thing...
    Really... This is the respone your going with? I guess you didn't read the entire thread. Its the fools like you that make people not want to post on forums at all.

Had you actually read the threat you would see that my original post I did post my location, and had also listed my location in my profile. With some of the comments I'd received on here... Specifically the ones that stated "remove your location, it serves no legitimate purpose on here", in which I replied with a "edits made" post. And further comments stated theres basically no chance this thread would be found by the offending neighbor so not to worry about removing the thread.

I posted this thread for advice, in which I have taken to heart, and not with a grain of salt. I don't feel I need to delete this thread as it is neutral in location information NOW, and as I said... Im seeking advice.

Here is a quote from the exact law stating I must notify the homeowner upon entering while carrying: "(D) Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun." If you feel so inclined that you absolutely MUST know what state I reside in... Use google. Highlight the previous sentance, go to edit, then cut, the go back to your google screen, and then go to edit, then paste, then hit enter. It wont be that hard by reading the search results to find what state I reside.

X

I agree with Eagleks. Hound this jerk to the ends of the earth on the false report. I'd not stop until the monkey spends a couple of thousand on an attorney to keep his butt outa jail, or what ever. Heck, I'd even say I would strategically let him, and only him see me still carrying my firearm from time to time, if nothing else just to show him you're no worse for ware over the situation. Now that might not be the best reaction, but again, if it's not illegal and you're not breaking any laws to heck with the dirt-bag.

For the record, you handled it way better than I would have..... I would have gone inside relieved myself of my weapon, called the sheriff's department and then went back outside and let the idiot know to hold that thought for a moment, cause I got some folks on their way that would be very interested in the whole situation. IMO, it's perfectly fine to walk away from a stranger that flings an insult your direction, but a neighbor, heck no! That clowns gonna know that, there's at least two alpha's living on that block, and by verbally threatening you with violence, he just put a price on his butt, one that you'll be happy to cash in for him. Bullying went out in high school, IMO the guys an idiot and should be both avoided and treated like one at the same time.

My advice. At the first sign of trouble with that nut, call the police and let them handle it from the word go, he's obviously a moron so it won't take long before the local Law Enforcement peg his as a instigator and shut him down. JMO, YMMV

9MMare likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I agree with Eagleks. Hound this jerk to the ends of the earth on the false report. I'd not stop until the monkey spends a couple of thousand on an attorney to keep his butt outa jail, or what ever. Heck, I'd even say I would strategically let him, and only him see me still carrying my firearm from time to time, if nothing else just to show him you're no worse for ware over the situation. Now that might not be the best reaction, but again, if it's not illegal and you're not breaking any laws to heck with the dirt-bag.

For the record, you handled it way better than I would have..... I would have gone inside relieved myself of my weapon, called the sheriff's department and then went back outside and let the idiot know to hold that thought for a moment, cause I got some folks on their way that would be very interested in the whole situation. IMO, it's perfectly fine to walk away from a stranger that flings an insult your direction, but a neighbor, heck no! That clowns gonna know that, there's at least two alpha's living on that block, and by verbally threatening you with violence, he just put a price on his butt, one that you'll be happy to cash in for him. Bullying went out in high school, IMO the guys an idiot and should be both avoided and treated like one at the same time.

My advice. At the first sign of trouble with that nut, call the police and let them handle it from the word go, he's obviously a moron so it won't take long before the local Law Enforcement peg his as a instigator and shut him down. JMO, YMMV

Thank you for your response.

I have completely steered clear of the neighbor in question. Made no verbal, or non verbal communication with him. I did speak with the prosecuting attorneys office, in which their response was "Teresa is nothing we cando at this time". They said they cannot pursue a no contact order, or anything like that for the situation.

I have submitted a FOIA request for the 911 call to hearth exact complaint called in, and have gotten a copy of the police report filed. My question to you is regarding an earlier post you stated swear out a warrant for him. How and where would I seek that, and what grounds do I seek it for?

Thank you again for your legitimate advice!

X

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    That link seems to indicate that if you fight and then stop fighting (and indicate that you want to stop) you have the right to self-defense. Walking away would be the ultimate indication that you do not want to fight anymore.

I think that statute is referring to the actual fight, not on-going tensions. In any case, since no combat has taken place the right to SD still exists. Hopefully it will not be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Thank you for your response.

I have completely steered clear of the neighbor in question. Made no verbal, or non verbal communication with him. I did speak with the prosecuting attorneys office, in which their response was "Teresa is nothing we cando at this time". They said they cannot pursue a no contact order, or anything like that for the situation.

I have submitted a FOIA request for the 911 call to hearth exact complaint called in, and have gotten a copy of the police report filed. My question to you is regarding an earlier post you stated swear out a warrant for him. How and where would I seek that, and what grounds do I seek it for?

Thank you again for your legitimate advice!

X
    With the Sheriff's dept. If the neighbor truly said he would kick your azz standing on your property. that my friend is a verbal threat with bodily injury/assault and you can swear out a warrant for his arrest. I think there is a nominal charge of just a few dollars unless I'm mistaken. Normally I'd just let bygones be bygones, but seeing how he called the law and issued a false statement with the intent to have you arrested, I'd opt to pay him back with an arrest warrant backed by a true statement. You might want to give this some thought though... That would have been the ideal thing to do at the time of the incident. Being that he has already called the Law on you, it could easily look like a tic for tac thing to the Leo's and that could have adverse effects between Law Enforcement and yourself... At this point, my suggestion would be to leave it alone for now, but maybe go down to your local police, or sheriff's department and speak to one of the deputies about the threat and file a report regarding the incident then follow their lead... That way they can make a report about it and have it on file in the event the clown say's it again, or starts anything else they can peg him as the aggressor and he'll get what's coming to him by his own hand. IMO, in such a clear case as yours, the local law enforcement agency is your best defense against this loser; your sole responsibility is to not let his actions trigger a reaction outa you that could compromise your situation or your family.

Best of luck to you and I truly hope it works out to your advantage.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "The neighbor had been informed I carry due to state law before I'd OC'd on my property. He knew I own, and carry before he'd seen me OC."

Nowhere doesn't help us understand things. What state (if any really) requires you to notify your neighbor before you OC on your own property?
    Let me correct my punctuation here. The neighbor had been informed I carry due to state law, before I had OC'd on my own property. He knew I owned a gun, and that a carry a gun before he had actually seen me OC on my own property. In other words... State law requires me to inform someone that I am carrying if I enter their residence. I had entered his residence previously, and informed him that I was carrying. Therefore, he knew that I carried a gun. Later on (months later) I OC'd on my own property. Thus I am saying he already knew I owned a gun and carried it before I had OC'd on my own property. I apologize for my clarity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Let me correct my punctuation here. The neighbor had been informed I carry due to state law, before I had OC'd on my own property. He knew I owned a gun, and that a carry a gun before he had actually seen me OC on my own property. In other words... State law requires me to inform someone that I am carrying if I enter their residence. I had entered his residence previously, and informed him that I was carrying. Therefore, he knew that I carried a gun. Later on (months later) I OC'd on my own property. Thus I am saying he already knew I owned a gun and carried it before I had OC'd on my own property. I apologize for my clarity.
    OK, that makes more sense. Thanks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

This thread just reinforces my policy of not getting chummy with my neighbors. Chances are they are jackasses that I wouldn't like anyway.
    Bubbiesdad and Bark'n like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

So... Any updates on this? I'm curious to know what the 911 Call FOIA request has yielded about what this... "neighbor"... said when he called the local PD.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

This brings up a much smaller issue I have. There are a couple neighbors I don't particularly care for and try to avoid interaction with them. Buuuuuut I do want to have the neighbors paying attention to BGs doing BG stuff when I am not home. Hard to explain, I guess I just want better neighbors
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I can definitely sympathize with you. However this is why I finally bought a home in the country with no neighbors.

For me it never got this bad but I have had many disputes with butt head neighbors in the past. My last house I had no neighbors for 3 years. There was a bunch of land to the south of my house which was an old overgrown farm field. It was owned by an old lady who had passed away. So I used to let my dog out and she would use the farm field as her poop field. This was great, never had to pick it up, never stepped in it in my yard, no one ever complained because the land was overgrown and owned by a deceased person. Well one day some jackass in an escalade shows up and starts building low income housing on the overgrown lot. A couple days later the grass is mowed and theres a bunch of contruction equipment outside. I thought wow this is F&^%in great, this is exactly what I need. Anyway long story short, the guy sees the dog outside one day and gets all worked up telling me I need to pick up all the crap in the field because he mowes over there and blah blah blah.

As nicely as I could I told him if the dog went over there from now on I would pick up after her but there was no way I was going to troll the field and pick up 3 years worth of dog crap, just wasn't going to happen. we had a couple arguments after that about some other stupid stuff and I realized this was the last straw for me. I sold the house and moved to the country where I can shoot in my backyard and the dog and I can crap wherever we want without tipping over someones apple cart. If I want to crap outside while reading the paper now, no one will stop me.

I know this isn't an option for everyone but if your like me and you don't care for 90% of the human race and there sensitive politically correct world move out of the burbs where you don't have to deal with neighbors, definitely one of the best things I've done in a long time. I can't deal with privacy fences, noise ordinances, or just plain a-holes neighbors in general, so for me it was the right move since I seem to get into fights with every neighbor I've ever had. Good luck to you, I really really hope it all works out because like said previously, neighbors can make your life very unhappy.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    This thread just reinforces my policy of not getting chummy with my neighbors. Chances are they are jackasses that I wouldn't like anyway.
    LOL. I got chummy with my neighbors....in all cases the husband AND wife both CC and we've often done cul-de-sac range trips. Guess I got lucky. I didn't inform them until after I already surmised it after seeing their printing upon returning home from work or whatever (or the wife talking about being a military brat and shooting........often).
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

20 years ago I had a neighbor threaten me, I called the sherriffs dept. The officer that responded came into my home sit down and looked at all the taxidermy work in my house and while looking around saw my gun cabinet (back in the glass door days) he told me if I had further problems shoot the neighbor drag him inside THEN call him. Gotta love livin in the country. Neighbor moved shortly after the sherriff's officer told him if he threatned me I would shoot him and he would "handle it". (this neighbor was causing problems for the whole community).
    bottom line to the OP because HE SAID, they think YOU DID. And HE went on record first. As much as we all hate the involvement of authority sometimes it's best to go on record to say what is going on just in case.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links