Hot on the 4 th

This is a discussion on Hot on the 4 th within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here we go , after divorce last year we sold house and I am liveing in a small apartment that has been owned by ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Hot on the 4 th

Hot on the 4 th

Ok here we go , after divorce last year we sold house and I am liveing in a small apartment that has been owned by my family

For over 35 years .There are nine units they are small but very well kept . They are in the lower rent scale which works for

me at this point . Last week one of the tennents came to me a lady liveing by herself very good peson

And stated she was worried about another renter maybe selling drugs and a lot of traffic comeing and going .

I told her I would keep eye out .Sure enough a lot of traffic so I started keeping a record of new cars in parking lot.

I also stopped by police and ask them to keep eyes out also
    On the 4th there was a new truck in lot I took down tag .went in my unit about 2 mins later the renters in question

are at my door drunk screaming F bombs and asking why I am takeing down tag numbers .I told them I have every right.

When I oppend my door I had my 4 pound dog in my left hand. The one guy that dosnt live there and was loudest

was about to rush in I told him you must leave and dont make another move. At that time I was telling him that I had

my hand in my right pocket ready to draw my .380. My question if that one guy that was about to rush in my apartment

came in would I been ok to draw ? I am really glad he didnt come in . At that point I got to door told them to go and shut door.

I did call police for report . thoughts please .

2. Remove Ads

Well seeing as you're in FL, I'm pretty sure Castle Doctrine applies. I'm not intimately familiar with FL law, but under Castle Doctrine here in OK, stepping foot into my house when you don't belong there is a capital offense, immediately punishable by deadly force.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This is one of those threads that can go hog wild so let me turn things around a bit.

What do YOU think you could have or should have done differently to avoid the possibilities of you having to introduce deadly force into a shouting match at your OPEN front door?
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This is one of those threads that can go hog wild so let me turn things around a bit.

What do YOU think you could have or should have done differently to avoid the possibilities of you having to introduce deadly force into a shouting match at your OPEN front door?
    Very good point and I to have thought about it alot.

#1 I should have taken the 20 sec to put pebbels the dog in her crate and not my left arm before opening door

# 2 not opened door and steped back like I did giving them room .

Lesson learned .

I would not have answered the door to someone outside flinging 'F-bombs'. That would probably indicate to me that he was not selling girl scout cookies.
    I would have had my firearm in hand while I spoke through the door that the police were already on the way. Had he come through the door, he would have been leaving in a horizontal position.OMO
    packinnova likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Very good pont and I to have thought about it alot.

#1 I should have taken the 20 sec to put pebbels the dog in her crate and not my left arm before opening door

# 2 not opened door and steped back like I did giving them room .

Lesson learned .
    Outstanding!

One thing to add, You may want to consider adding a non lethal option to keep near the front door like a economy sized can of Fox Labs. The MK5 with cone pattern from Fox Labs is sufficient to induce a few moments of thoughtful reflection on a person trying to force through an open door and the UV dye will make their denial of the situation very difficult.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Uh oh, another neighbor problem manifesting itself. And all because of.....................

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Outstanding!

One thing to add, You may want to consider adding a non lethal option to keep near the front door like a economy sized can of Fox Labs. The MK5 with cone pattern from Fox Labs is sufficient to induce a few moments of thoughtful reflection on a person trying to force through an open door and the UV dye will make their denial of the situation very difficult.

Additionally, I suggest you have immediate access to your firearm on your person. Be ready to Move off the X if he charges despite the spray. Meat on Metal pointshoot. Fox is great but some can get through.

I agree with retsupt99 above.

At my home in Texas: I answer a quiet door, and get FBOMBS for some reason at some point, then I draw down on Pottymouth while taking a step back and tell him What To Do. Wife calls police. Since he knows where I live, I will make sure the cops find him, id, and hopefully arrest him. I want to know everything about him now for post-event risk control.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    Glad things didn't get out of hand.

As for my response, I wouldn't have opened the door. If he still managed to force his way in, then he'd be talking with the business end of my .45. Castle doctrine or no castle doctrine, you break into my home, you pay the cost of admission.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links