Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty?

This is a discussion on Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 Guess I'll raise my hand at that one... we have a duty to retreat and no real castle doctrine, need I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Guess I'll raise my hand at that one... we have a duty to retreat and no real castle doctrine, need I say more?
    hang in there, things are changing... look at wisconsin as an example.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    If you live in a liberal state with prosecutors more interested in perps rights than victims rights, then yes.
    You have to break it down even further than the state level. Statistics show that you are far more likely to get into a shooting in an urban area. No matter the state, who runs the urban areas?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You have to break it down even further than the state level. Statistics show that you are far more likely to get into a shooting in an urban area. No matter the state, who runs the urban areas?
    You are correct. Liberal mayors, councils, and police chiefs pushing their liberal doctrines. That is what got Harold Fish in a pickle in Coconino County, AZ ( Flagstaff)

hang in there, things are changing... look at wisconsin as an example.
    They tried this year, didn't get through... even though they had enough votes they dropped it, Dayton won't sign it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    a primary and a secondary---you have two hands and life comes at you from all directions. carry what you are competent with. and what you perceive your need to be.
    among the retired, a single j-frame is tops on the list. followed by one of the many baby 380's.
    would that i could OC my SSA Colt 45. for the first 5 shots its as fast as my 1911. not so much after that
    Wow I really liked the bolded part. Maybe we should alter it just a little and make it our slogan.

Two guns, primary and secondary because you have two hands and life comes at you from all directions.

Actually though I usually carry just my Glock 27 a spare mag, a folder and light.

If I had to go somewhere that was iffy, I could put my snub nose in an ankle holster or pocket carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Lets take it one step further. Lots of people say that carrying a less lethal option should be mandatory with the gun. I say hogwash. What happens when you shoot somebody and the ambulance chasers gnawing away at you about why didn't you simply hose down his client with pepper spray, that certainly would have done the trick...
    Thats a very good point, but I think if you had time to deploy pepper spray and it still did not discouage the guy from attacking you it might make it look like you did everything you could to avoid having to shoot the guy. Plus if your carry method is less than ideal pepper spray might give you a little more time to draw. I know that someone will say that you should carry in a method that allows an easy draw, but I think most times pepper spray in the pocket might be easier to get to that a gun under a cover garment. I guess though that there is also the argument that the time you wasted drawing the pepper spray could have better been used to draw your gun.

I carry one gun, usually the SIG P-232 or the Walther PPK/S and a Swiss Army knife. That's pretty much it. Keys, wallet, money clip, and watch complete the package. I don't carry extra magazines and my first aid kit consists of a couple of Band-Aids tucked in the wallet.

GM
    If you live in a liberal state with prosecutors more interested in perps rights than victims rights, then yes.
    I do not think it necessarily needs to be a liberal state. Unfortunately, prosecutors and attorneys are sometimes interested in only one thing, win. Often it is not a question about right or wrong, it is a question about win or lose.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Guess I'll raise my hand at that one... we have a duty to retreat and no real castle doctrine, need I say more?
    I'm ok with the duty to retreat. I really don't want to shoot anyone and if I can away I'm certainly going to. Just because states have the Castle doctrine, to me doesn't make it right to not try and retreat first. Of course, if I have no way out, then I'm going to do what I have to do.

sgb
    I see photos of some people's every day carry gear and to me it can be a bit much...

2 guns, 2 knives, Leatherman, 4+ magazines, etc...

At some point I would think this would make you appear to be a little overboard or perhaps looking for 'action'. I can understand carrying to protect yourself/loved ones, but my oh my, how can this even be comfortable!?

Thoughts?
    Does keeping a spare tire, 12v air compressor, tire plug kit, road flares, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, shovel, blanket and water mean your looking to get in an accident?

If the shoot is clean what all you're carrying (as long as it's legal) isn't going to matter.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I think any good prosecuting attorney would play up the "armed to the teeth" card.

I don't count on ever carrying more than one gun and two extra mags.
    Last edited by tubadude; July 8th, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I'm ok with the duty to retreat. I really don't want to shoot anyone and if I can away I'm certainly going to. Just because states have the Castle doctrine, to me doesn't make it right to not try and retreat first. Of course, if I have no way out, then I'm going to do what I have to do.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I think any good defense attorney would play up the "armed to the teeth" card.

I dont know how it works there but here if you are found acting in self defense and it is a good shoot, there is no civil suit allowed by law so if there is a defense attorney, there is a huge issue.

Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty?
    If so there would be prisons full of women who carry purses.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I think any good defense attorney would play up the "armed to the teeth" card.

A good defense attorney probably wouldn't, but here is a more likely scenario. You are involved in what the law regards as a "clean shoot". The district attorney doesn't press charges against you. The person you shot or their family files a $2,000,000.00 civil suit against you. Their attorney claims that because you carried two guns, six magazines, a tactical knife, a bug out bag, and a completely stocked trauma kit; you were pretty much "just itchin' for a fight" and when one presented itself, instead of retreating, you welcomed it with open arms. Naturally they want a jury trial and try their best to load the jury with people who are scared to death of guns. Now, what do you?
    rammerjammer likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links