Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty? - Page 4

Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty?

This is a discussion on Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RockBottom In your last paragraph, you brought up an important point. What would be considered reasonable for a police officer to carry ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Does Carrying 'Too Much Stuff' Make You More Guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    In your last paragraph, you brought up an important point. What would be considered reasonable for a police officer to carry may be totally different (in the minds of a jury) from what an ordinary citizen might be expected to carry. As another example, take a combat soldier off the streets of Kandahar and place him in downtown Des Moines. See if anyone thinks that he might be overdressed.
    I can tell you that there are many police officers out there who feel a citizen should carry nothing more than a rape whistle. Again, I'm not too concerned with responding officers. They are not the attorney's who will be arguing the case. I expect if I'm involved in a shooting, facts surrounding my use of lethal force will stand on their own merits. I will be happy to explain my emergency life saving tools to the jury if need be which is based on personal experience and internationally recognized and accepted standardized training which I have well documented.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When the cops show up for your involvement in a Wally World incident, I wouldn't be wearing shooting glasses and electronic muffs (although you would be able to hear the cops questions clearly).OMO
    But I just bought the coolest lenses for my Oakley M frames and out new batteries in my Pro Ears. Way to urinate on cheerios retsupt....LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I carry a Security Six, and a PPK. If that isn't enough I have my pocket Bible KJV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I can tell you that there are many police officers out there who feel a citizen should carry nothing more than a rape whistle. Again, I'm not too concerned with responding officers. They are not the attorney's who will be arguing the case. I expect if I'm involved in a shooting, facts surrounding my use of lethal force will stand on their own merits. I will be happy to explain my emergency life saving tools to the jury if need be which is based on personal experience and internationally recognized and accepted standardized training which I have well documented.
    And that, of course, is your perogative. Hopefully, you will never have to explain your internationally recognized and accepted training (that you have well documented) before a jury. A jury can be a fickle thing.

I carry my glock (no needfor backup), extra mag, tactical flashlight, phone, ham radio and some times pepper spray.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

And that, of course, is your perogative. Hopefully, you will never have to explain your internationally recognized and accepted training (that you have well documented) before a jury. A jury can be a fickle thing.
    I think you miss the point in having documented professional training which is admissible as evidence in court. It sure beats going in there flying by the seat of your pants and hoping for the best.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Great Thread...

I have to agree with "Cruel hand Luke" (cool S/N BTW), and SIXTO. Anyone getting involved in a shooting will be looked at fairly closely. They will be "judged" by the standard of what a reasonable man would do. There are times in our lives when carrying two guns, spare ammo, a first aid kit, ballistic vest, and what ever else... The question would be was it reasonable.

For most people carrying a lot of stuff is unreasonable. Keeping in mind that self defense is an affermative defense. You must admit to the act to claim self defense. As someone mentioned... having an excess of self defense equipment will give the impression of looking for trouble. This could be especially troubling if your subject to one of the three stupids. (kudos to the guy who came up with that term)

The police, and district attorneys are pretty much guided by this question of " was this or that reasonable" The incident and individual's involved will be looked at in total.

Now having said that... I truely believe there are times when a second firearm is very much reasonable. I am one who will take a second firearm with me when I believe I'm going in harms way. There are places some of us must go at odd hours to make a living. If asked if I'm expecting trouble?.. "yes I am"

Spuk.

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.
    Confucius

Confidence is preparation. Everything else is beyond your control.
    Richard Kline

When you're prepared, you're more confident.
    When you have a strategy, you're more comfortable."
    Fred Couples

Quotes on "preparation" from known and lesser known individuals. If my preparation is a G19, two spare mags, and a Spyderco Endura..will it make me seem less agressive and antagonistic and looking for a fight than if I went out with a G19, two spare mags, a G26 in ankle holster, a Spyderco Endura, SAP in my back pocket, pepper spray on my belt, and flashlight? My thoughts are that I will develop my mindset, train for tactical advantage in given situations, attempt to enhance my skills to the highest degree possible, and master my weapon(s) to the best of my ability, in the event my "preparation" is needed to defend/save my life and/or the lives of my family. I will leave "after the fact" opinions of my preparations up to my legal defense team, knowing I did everything possible for my survival and the survival of my loved ones. I personally am not worried about any "guilt" on my behalf, nor in the minds of those judging me, that may be associated with my preparations. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

What gun I carry depends on my clothing.
    It's summer right now, with cargo shorts and a tank top I can carry my .25 auto IWB with an extra mag weakside and nobody will ever notice.
    My pocket holster for my .25 has a spare mag holder in it, glides right into my thigh pocket on my cargo shorts when I don't feel like having it dig into my hip.
    I've got a .38 derringer with a pocket holster, that will disappear too.
    The bulkiest thing I have is my .32 S&W-L revolver IWB (which is still small) and a quickstrip of 6 +2 loose rounds in a Tuff belt holder , good for fall time with a sweatshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think you miss the point in having documented professional training which is admissible as evidence in court. It sure beats going in there flying by the seat of your pants and hoping for the best.
    I'm not missing the point and I apologize if I sounded confrontational. We all have to operate within our comfort zones wherever they may be.

If you've followed any of my posts, you can see that flying by the seat of the pants isn't one of my options.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    If I ever end up in court because of a self defense scenario, you can bet I will be worried about what those twelve jurors (Mothers Against People With Guns) think of my actions!

Yes, I believe that sometimes, too much can be too much. I now carry, 1 loaded Glock, 1 mag, 1 leatherman, 1 wallet, 1 zippo (no, I don't smoke) and my keys.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

To to OP-yes-I agree for the most part. And Sixto, I think you are more or less on point here. I carry my G19 or G26 with extra mag close by. If I sense a "potential" situation, I carry a BUG and extra mags but that is infrequent but happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    If I ever end up in court because of a self defense scenario, you can bet I will be worried about what those twelve jurors (Mothers Against People With Guns) think of my actions!

Yes, I believe that sometimes, too much can be too much. I now carry, 1 loaded Glock, 1 mag, 1 leatherman, 1 wallet, 1 zippo and my keys.
    Don't think that I'm trying to put you on the spot, because I'm not. What you carry is perfectly reasonable. I'm just trying to make a point here. Unless the shooting is totally unjustified and you are placed under arrest, you won't be strip searched. Keep your mouth shut about what you are carrying, how much backup and extra magazines you have, all that documented training, etc. Don't tell the police you know five different ways to snap the guy's neck silently. Every single word that you utter to the police has the potential to come back against you as evidence. You need to be really aware of that. I can't emphasize that enough...every single word that you utter to the police has the potential to be evidence against you.

The police will talk to you in a casual and friendly manner. They will quit talking. For some reason, silence is a void that many feel compelled to fill. You start talking to fill the void and they sit back and listen.

Oh, and by the way, I don't carry pepper spray because if I did, those jurors would expect me to use it in any circumstance because it was at my disposal. I choose to leave it out of the equation.

Don't think that I'm trying to put you on the spot, because I'm not. What you carry is perfectly reasonable. I'm just trying to make a point here. Unless the shooting is totally unjustified and you are placed under arrest, you won't be strip searched. Keep your mouth shut about what you are carrying, how much backup and extra magazines you have, all that documented training, etc. Don't tell the police you know five different ways to snap the guy's neck silently. Every single word that you utter to the police has the potential to come back against you as evidence. You need to be really aware of that. I can't emphasize that enough...every single word that you utter to the police has the potential to be evidence against you.

The police will talk to you in a casual and friendly manner. They will quit talking. For some reason, silence is a void that many feel compelled to fill. You start talking to fill the void and they sit back and listen.
    I totally agree with everything that you said!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links