road rage in front of you

This is a discussion on road rage in front of you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Time to release my trunk monkey....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: road rage in front of you

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Time to release my trunk monkey.
    high pockets likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, there have been several post about the fact that it's a good idea to leave room in front of your car to make an exit in case something happens in front of you.
    I was thinking about this as I was driving home. I stopped at a light and left a ca length between my car and the car in front of me. The road I'm on is two lanes each way, plus a left turn lane, and at this light there is also a right turn lane. I'm in the right hand straight lane, right turn lane to my right is empty, another straight lane on my left with car in front of me and on my left.

Here's the scenario. The two drivers in the cars in front of me, both in the straight thru lanes get in an argument. All of a sudden they pull guns and start shooting. I can't back up because there is a car on my rear bumper.

Do you sit tight, duck down behind the wheel, or do you try to drive into the right turn lane and around the car in front of you?
    There's a good chance stray bullets passing thru the car or thru the open windows of the car you drive around are going to hit you.

So do you just stay put and hope all the shots go left/right, and none go back towards you?
    There's so many Variables to the surroundings in this scenario which could determine your reaction, but a comprehensive answer is COVER, and if possible, distance and angle, angle being (example) if the shooters are shooting east and west.... move north or south.

VIP Member
    Shift to reverse, turn wheel hard right, drive in reverse the wrong way down the right-turn lane until a safe distance, then park and call police with at least one license plate number (hope I didn't forget to get at least a partial description).
    Bill MO and Guantes like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Shift to reverse, turn wheel hard right, drive in reverse the wrong way down the right-turn lane until a safe distance, then park and call police with at least one license plate number (hope I didn't forget to get at least a partial description).
    I have to agree the way to move is back, the car behind you is on your bumper so that car will need to be moved to make room to leave the area. As to backing down the right-turn lane or crossing the curb would depend on who and what was there. Stay in the car and move it, but not towards the gun fire.

My 2 cents
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Pull forward a half a car length, then quickly get into reverse before the person behind you can pull up. Then reverse into the right turn lane and continue backwards.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Get out of your car, exposing your CCW badge hanging around your neck. Demand they stop shooting, and inform them both that they are under citizens arrest. Cuff them and transport them in the back seat of your Crown Vic to the nearest police station. Problem solved.

Ok, really I would floor it and get the hell out of dodge as fast as possible. Any way possible.

Run Forrest! Run!

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Time to release my trunk monkey.
    Winning answer, hands down!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, there have been several post about the fact that it's a good idea to leave room in front of your car to make an exit in case something happens in front of you.
    I was thinking about this as I was driving home. I stopped at a light and left a ca length between my car and the car in front of me. The road I'm on is two lanes each way, plus a left turn lane, and at this light there is also a right turn lane. I'm in the right hand straight lane, right turn lane to my right is empty, another straight lane on my left with car in front of me and on my left.

Here's the scenario. The two drivers in the cars in front of me, both in the straight thru lanes get in an argument. All of a sudden they pull guns and start shooting. I can't back up because there is a car on my rear bumper.

Do you sit tight, duck down behind the wheel, or do you try to drive into the right turn lane and around the car in front of you?
    There's a good chance stray bullets passing thru the car or thru the open windows of the car you drive around are going to hit you.

So do you just stay put and hope all the shots go left/right, and none go back towards you?
    I'd get as low as I could get and hope it was over in the average number of shots in civilian encounters: two/three.

Another good reason to keep space behind car ahead when stopped at light - or stopped anywhere: rear end hit. You avoid slamming into the car in front of you if hit from the rear, which is a double chance of injury for you, and passes on another possible one to the driver in front. Especially at thruway toll booths. Been a few horrible accidents caused by truck who could or didn't stop, rear ends the last car in line with tremendous force which keeps going thru the line of cars - many of them crushed between the rear and front hit.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to exit the car. You'll be exposed and moving slowly. Use the car, ram other cars if necessary to get distance, call 911.
    This. I am not getting unless I am threatened directly. Not to mention I don't want to get involved as I really don't know what is going on. Could be a kidnapping or something. I am not carrying to get involved in other peoples problems as I am not police officer or a superhero.

Either stay hunkered down behind the engine in the car, or get the hell out of the metal coffin (your car).

Do not engage either of them unless in direct self defense. It is not your fight, don't make it your fight, you don't want none of it and you don't care...
    archer51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    change the scenario---add a passenger--and it likely makes for a different answer,
    but he asked in regards to his traveling alone, so was the answer given.
    if we start changing scenarios after the OP has posted, than original answerer start to become out of context for later readers.
    answer the original question as phrased or start a new scenario.
    this happened with the garage/ elevator when limatunes introduced how she might react if the conditions were different.
    the thread went sideways for awhile. it gets confusing when adding to a what-if, another what-if.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Either stay hunkered down behind the engine in the car, or get the hell out of the metal coffin (your car).

Do not engage either of them unless in direct self defense. It is not your fight, don't make it your fight, you don't want none of it and you don't care...
    +1 to this answer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm not sure I'd hunker down in the car unless I could get completely on the floorboard which, w/my fat a$$, would be impossible. The engine block sits much lower than the dash and a ricochet would go through the hood and dash like it was warm butter. I think the better option would be to pick your moment and get directly behind the car completely (assuming you are perpendicular to the action).

I'd say the best bet would be to (single occupant) go as far left-forward as possible, with the objective being to put as much of your rear bumper as possible as close to the front-left wheel of the car behind you as possible. From what I've seen and read, the best way to move a stationary car with a moving car is to hit it at the wheels. Going left would give you more cover than going right, which would expose your driver-side door....hmmm...I was going to say go right if you had a passenger to cover but if you get shot, who's driving? I love these questions, they really do help you prepare.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I am going to sit there with my and enjoy the show.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links