road rage in front of you

This is a discussion on road rage in front of you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by claude clay change the scenario---add a passenger--and it likely makes for a different answer, but he asked in regards to his traveling ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: road rage in front of you

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    change the scenario---add a passenger--and it likely makes for a different answer,
    but he asked in regards to his traveling alone, so was the answer given.
    if we start changing scenarios after the OP has posted, than original answerer start to become out of context for later readers.
    answer the original question as phrased or start a new scenario.
    this happened with the garage/ elevator when limatunes introduced how she might react if the conditions were different.
    the thread went sideways for awhile. it gets confusing when adding to a what-if, another what-if.
    The scenarios are also meant to be instructive. It's not much help to a person who normally has kids with them in the car to not even be able to consider or get advice on that point. Unless these scenarios are all meant to be macho shoot 'em up fantasies. The reality is most of us do often have others with us. (Take the mall scenario for example...most people said...if it's just me, one thing, if my family is with me, another....and often they were not the same reactions)

If you have a kid in a child seat, hunkering down OR exiting the car arent even options for you. Adding other passengers isnt really taking the the scenario much out of context...esp since so far all the answers are pretty much the same 3 answers.

Of course if that occurs to someone (what if my kids are in the car?) they could also post their own scenario.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

A few different answers depending on situation:

1) Me by myself or me and someone who can move - Vehicle stays put and we get as low as we can. Draw weapon from concealment location but do not return fire if I am not a target. If I can't get down I lean the seat back as far as it will go - just get my head out of the windshield.
    2) Me with child in baby seat (ie cannot get him to cover) - we find out what that 5.3L V8 in front can do, either by ramming backwards into the car behind me to open an escape lane (if necessary) or ramming forwards into the car ahead of me (second option - don't want to fire the air bags in my vehicle). Depending on the situation I may just push the car behind me out of harm's way while I'm at it.

In all scenarios - lock the doors in case one of the BGs thinks my truck is a good getaway vehicle.

Well, passenger or no passenger I'm going to do one of two things. Try to either pull up a little and back into that right hand turn lane and keep backing up, or just haul it to the right since I have a car length of space and my Jeep has a pretty tight turning radius, pop the curb and exit stage left.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sounds like they are more worried about shooting each other than you. high pockets option 2 seems to be the best course of action. Although I would draw my gun first and have it at the ready before dialing 911.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

2) Stay where you are, hunker down behind wheel, call 911 immediately, draw weapon and be aware of position of assailants, proceed into right lane and pass other vehicles after gun fire has ceased. You want to keep the front of your vehicle towards the gunfight, because your front end parts (bumper, radiator, air conditioner, engine) will offer much more protection than your driver side door panels.

Just my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Pull forward a half a car length, then quickly get into reverse before the person behind you can pull up. Then reverse into the right turn lane and continue backwards.
    This seems like a good approach!

I think this would be possible. I hadn't thought about creating enough room by going forward to do a bootleg turn. Good thinking Gloves.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Guantes
    Pull forward a half a car length, then quickly get into reverse before the person behind you can pull up. Then reverse into the right turn lane and continue backwards

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This seems like a good approach!

I think this would be possible. I hadn't thought about creating enough room by going forward to do a bootleg turn. Good thinking Gloves.
    I agree Guantes move to make room would be a good idea, the only thing is the guy behind may move before you can make your move to the rear. What ever the case moving to the rear with the car and you in it would be the best thing to do. Make the room to do so one way or the other.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links