road rage in front of you

This is a discussion on road rage in front of you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, there have been several post about the fact that it's a good idea to leave room in front of your car to make an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: road rage in front of you

OK, there have been several post about the fact that it's a good idea to leave room in front of your car to make an exit in case something happens in front of you.
    I was thinking about this as I was driving home. I stopped at a light and left a ca length between my car and the car in front of me. The road I'm on is two lanes each way, plus a left turn lane, and at this light there is also a right turn lane. I'm in the right hand straight lane, right turn lane to my right is empty, another straight lane on my left with car in front of me and on my left.

Here's the scenario. The two drivers in the cars in front of me, both in the straight thru lanes get in an argument. All of a sudden they pull guns and start shooting. I can't back up because there is a car on my rear bumper.

Do you sit tight, duck down behind the wheel, or do you try to drive into the right turn lane and around the car in front of you?
    There's a good chance stray bullets passing thru the car or thru the open windows of the car you drive around are going to hit you.

So do you just stay put and hope all the shots go left/right, and none go back towards you?

Kind of a strange one, they both have guns, start shooting at each other at the same time, sounds like gang members or a drug scene to me not road rage..., get out of the car and get as far back as possible using your vehicle as a shield, if you pass you are a target, if you stay put you can get hit by a stray, so get out of dodge and let the insurance figure out the damages....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Couple of scenarios

1) Make immediate right, drive through right turn lane, over curb and through the parking lot of the gas station/drug store/convenience store on the corner, call 911 as soon as enough distance between you and aggressors.

2) Stay where you are, hunker down behind wheel, call 911 immediately, draw weapon and be aware of position of assailants, proceed into right lane and pass other vehicles after gun fire has ceased. You want to keep the front of your vehicle towards the gunfight, because your front end parts (bumper, radiator, air conditioner, engine) will offer much more protection than your driver side door panels.

Just my opinion.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, there have been several post about the fact that it's a good idea to leave room in front of your car to make an exit in case something happens in front of you.
    I was thinking about this as I was driving home. I stopped at a light and left a ca length between my car and the car in front of me. The road I'm on is two lanes each way, plus a left turn lane, and at this light there is also a right turn lane. I'm in the right hand straight lane, right turn lane to my right is empty, another straight lane on my left with car in front of me and on my left.

Here's the scenario. The two drivers in the cars in front of me, both in the straight thru lanes get in an argument. All of a sudden they pull guns and start shooting. I can't back up because there is a car on my rear bumper.

Do you sit tight, duck down behind the wheel, or do you try to drive into the right turn lane and around the car in front of you?
    There's a good chance stray bullets passing thru the car or thru the open windows of the car you drive around are going to hit you.

So do you just stay put and hope all the shots go left/right, and none go back towards you?
    Crank the wheel hard right and nail the gas. Get the hell out of Dodge and take your chances that you might catch a stray bullet. At this point, you're just trying to minimize your chances of injury. There are no guarantees in life. You just make the best decisions that you can and hope God agrees with your choices.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Shoot 'em both and go home so I'm not late picking my kids up from daycare, that gets expensive!

Honestly, I'd probably open the back of my car (liftgate), then crawl back there and exit... then run as far back as traffic allows, while on the phone to 911. Then wait for things to clear out. If they are shooting at each other they are not paying any attention to me.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Stay put till they are both dead, then have a party. 2 less idiots on the road.

I would wait until the shooting stopped, then do the hard right and get outta there. Call 911 when i'm safe.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    open my drivers door enough to crawl out and to the rear of my car. the door is not going to stop bullets but it may hide my motions.
    in fact id open the passengers door 1st as a visual diversion and than my door and exit.
    of course as fast as it starts it is likely to be over as i doubt either of them have re-loads and even a glock runs out of ammo by the time the light changes.

or

i may ram one of them if my vehicle is larger to create a diversion, back up and hit em again with horn blearing ( todays go beep beep but...)and than do the crawl.

and than i would plan a different route for the future.

the crawl will work cause the dude on the right can not see you on the ground and the dude in front of you would have to contort himself --and in doing so present the back of his head to the otherBG--to see you. it is to do; save playing bumper sars for the movies, crawl low and live longer. besides--ramming would move the car in front up and you in to line with the othe rBG's line of fire....not a good idea.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I know for a fact that my truck can push 2,000 lbs out of my way in a hurry, so I'd be leaving one way or another. As soon as I'm at a safe distance I'll be callig 911.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    My wife is usually in the passenger seat, so escaping out the doors is a no-go. Honey, hit the floor, & I'm in reverse & moving as fast as my Flintstone feet will allow! I would put my firearm at the ready in case things get dicey.

I always leave that space in front of me.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I do try to leave space from the car in front of me. I like to see the back tires of that car.
    If shooting started between two other cars, I'm driving over curbs or anything else in the way to get outta' there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i'm surprized soomebody hasn't said that they would record it yet (to be a good witness)

The only things I'm going to be witnessing are the trees and telephone poles flying by as I depart.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you get down, dont you have the engine block in front of you? Esp since they're not even shooting at you.

This is about the time I get down, rip my rearview mirror off the windshield, hold it up, and watch what's happening. Hopefully my gun is accessible and is in my hand, ready if they come for me...which I dont see why they would....their issues are with each other. Hopefully they disable each other.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I think it's a bad idea to exit the car. You'll be exposed and moving slowly. Use the car, ram other cars if necessary to get distance, call 911.

Good scenario Ted and to be honest, the person who said his wife would have to be factored in had a good point.

How many of us would be alone...or likely with family, friends, etc? Plans have to include them too.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links