Road rage incident last week - Page 2

Road rage incident last week

This is a discussion on Road rage incident last week within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These kind of scenarios change everytime and every minute. Someone who gets out of car to confront you is someone who has lost control and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Road rage incident last week

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    These kind of scenarios change everytime and every minute. Someone who gets out of car to confront you is someone who has lost control and is a danger to you--you cannot predict what he will do next and whether he has a firearm or not, even if it is not evident. If you do not have your firearm, as is the case in this thread, I get the impression from replies that everyone tends to agree that you drive away if possible, you do not get into a further expanded confrontation and you call 911, if possible. If you have a firearm, IMO, you do everything that you would do as if you do not have a firearm, but you are at least prepared to defend yourself for a more serious situation. Presumption of imminent threat of life or great bodily injury is getting closer, is still the preeminent thought you should have, and will depend on the additional actions of the road rage idiot and whether you can leave the scene without further actions. Just sayin. IMO and I hope all of us, the use of or the presentation of the firearm is a last resort---you have a responsibility to accept the antics of an idiot when you are capable of actually using your firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I just don't understand road rage.
    That makes two of us. I have never understood why anyone would want to get out of their car and start a fight in the middle of the road, with plenty of potential witnesses. It's just plain stupid.

Snider, you did a great a job of not escalating. In the heat of the moment, you done good!
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Great Job

Just one thing

I'd add only to clarify what others have implied: if you had started to call 911 as soon as you saw him coming out of his car, it would have split your attention away from the aggressor -- and his hands -- and not done you much good right at that moment. If you had been able to dial and get 911 on the line, maybe they could have listened as things unfolded, but that might be a long shot, and not a good gamble. Better to get plate & description info and call them when safe to do so. I think, as I understand the circumstances, that you did just right in that moment. Congrats. Glad all are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    That makes two of us. I have never understood why anyone would want to get out of their car and start a fight in the middle of the road, with plenty of potential witnesses. It's just plain stupid.
    I understand it to the point that I get annoyed when someone does something incredibly stupid and almost gets me killed. Not going to lie, I was a little ticked. There's no way I'm taking that out other than muttering (or maybe a little more than muttering) exactly what I think they are.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Congrats on staying alert and 'cool'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the encouragement all. I really feel disingenuous with all the praise landing on me, given how riled up I was at the time - inside I was furious, and wanted to hop out and take the guy apart if he gave me the excuse. I exercised self control, as I think all men should when faced with stuff like this, but my human nature was sure pulling at me to satisfy my righteous indignation and fury at the guy. Ugh.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement all. I really feel disingenuous with all the praise landing on me, given how riled up I was at the time - inside I was furious, and wanted to hop out and take the guy apart if he gave me the excuse. I exercised self control, as I think all men should when faced with stuff like this, but my human nature was sure pulling at me to satisfy my righteous indignation and fury at the guy. Ugh.

You have every right to feel that way.

You sucked it up and stayed tactical.

Seriously well done.

Go find a heavy bag/bag of mulch, baseball bat, and release that anger.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Being level-headed isn't necessarily about not getting angry, but rather controlling that anger or whatever emotion it is. Acting upon one's anger is where people go wrong.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I just don't understand road rage.

azchevy likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

RKM
    I mumble stuff to myself ALL the time, but I make it a point to NEVER let the person I'm mumbling about see me do it as to not start a situation. People just flat out can't drive.

You were totally torqued on the inside, but you acted like a calm, cool ADULT. The other guy acted like a juvenile. You definitely showed who was the bigger man!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Great job all around, especially not reacting which de-escalated things. Same thing you should do if armed.

Only thing I would add is taking pics with your cell phone of his tag, of him outside his car, and video the incident if your phone has video recording capability. My Blackberry has camera and video and I use them for lots of purposes (signs with phone numbers on them, etc.). I use them to supplement my memory for day-to-day stuff and then delete the pics when I'm done with them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    These kind of scenarios change everytime and every minute. Someone who gets out of car to confront you is someone who has lost control and is a danger to you--you cannot predict what he will do next and whether he has a firearm or not, even if it is not evident. If you do not have your firearm, as is the case in this thread, I get the impression from replies that everyone tends to agree that you drive away if possible, you do not get into a further expanded confrontation and you call 911, if possible. If you have a firearm, IMO, you do everything that you would do as if you do not have a firearm, but you are at least prepared to defend yourself for a more serious situation. Presumption of imminent threat of life or great bodily injury is getting closer, is still the preeminent thought you should have, and will depend on the additional actions of the road rage idiot and whether you can leave the scene without further actions. Just sayin. IMO and I hope all of us, the use of or the presentation of the firearm is a last resort---you have a responsibility to accept the antics of an idiot when you are capable of actually using your firearm.
    Agreed...this is a person who has lost control and is exhibiting only poor judgement....and continue to prepare for a weapon...which could also be used with poor judgement (if used, in this scenario, by definition it's poor judgement).

This kind of lack of control, inability to handle a 'slight' from strangers or to 're-educate someone on their driving' shows up much more than I like to think...and these are the people walking and shopping, etc next to you everyday.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links