Road rage incident last week

This is a discussion on Road rage incident last week within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my plan for this scenario for quite some time, at least the basics. The minute someone gets out of a car with their ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Road rage incident last week

I've had my plan for this scenario for quite some time, at least the basics.

The minute someone gets out of a car with their attentions focused on me, I immediately make sure they see I am taking their picture with my phone. And then their license plate. I then make sure they see me calling 911. If they approach my window, I put the phone near the window so that the dispatcher can hear them...and the violent person also knows or at least is likely to assume that.

If there is a weapon in evidence, I'm not even there if there's a way to drive away...any way to drive away. And if there's a way to drive away even as they approach, I'll do so. In this scenario, didnt seem like it. If they get violent at the window, I'm getting away from the window...if it's just one person, I can exit the other side and keep the car between us, still communicating with 911.

And calling 911 actually depends on how the person exits their car and approaches. I'd prefer not to get tied up with 911 if I dont have to, if there's not an imminent threat. But I'd sure make sure that THEY thought I was on the line.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

I would not have let him get that close. If he is within 15 feet of me in stopped traffic, I'd be out my vehicle ready to square off with him rather than be trapped in my vehicle. Others may disagree as to that course of action, that's just what I have done and would still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    I would not have let him get that close. If he is within 15 feet of me in stopped traffic, I'd be out my vehicle ready to square off with him rather than be trapped in my vehicle. Others may disagree as to that course of action, that's just what I have done and would still do.
    My vehicles have at least 2 doors, I'm not trapped by one assailant. There's a physical barrier between us that he cannot get thru with one kick or punch. I'm sitting in a lethal weapon. The law is on my side. (And of course, I am not trained in martial arts).

A few of my reasons why I'd stay put. My own strategy, of course but in this scenario I see meeting violence with additional confrontation as "wanting a piece of somethin'".
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

He was probably just mad you didn't read his mind and get out of his way, because he felt he was "entitled" to the space you were occupying. I hate those types.

You did fine, get a lock box.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Maybe, but being trained in Martial Arts does not make you a fighter in itself. Just like I said before, that's what I would do and just my opinion. People have almost killed me on my motorcycle by cutting me off, then getting pissed off at me, gotten out of thier vehicles. What are you supposed to do? Sit on your bike and get beaten up? No, stand up for yourself. Most people couldn't fight there way out of a wet paperbag anyways. Like I said before, that's what I did and will do, right or wrong.

Maybe, but being trained in Martial Arts does not make you a fighter in itself. Just like I said before, that's what I would do and just my opinion. People have almost killed me on my motorcycle by cutting me off, then getting pissed off at me, gotten out of thier vehicles. What are you supposed to do? Sit on your bike and get beaten up? No, stand up for yourself. Most people couldn't fight there way out of a wet paperbag anyways. Like I said before, that's what I did and will do, right or wrong.
    Sorry, I didnt realize you were on a motorcycle, I thought you said something about being trapped in a car.

My error.....
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey 9: Pushing your cell phone front and center and taking pictures does not sound like a good idea. Depending on what kind of a crazy road rage nut you are dealing with, this can elevate the rage and cause more problems. I certainly understand your thinking on this but I also think it can go very wrong. Even just ignoring the guy with your windows up and doors locked can elevate this idiot's rage. Apologize, while grinding your teeth, can't hurt (I know--curbing your manliness can be difficulty) and driving away is the best course of action. If he follows you, you drive to the police department. Anything else is like putting bacon out to a hungry dog. You have got to keep in mind that ultimately you can actually kill someone over this ridiculous incident.

Pat yourself on your back, you did awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    You have every right to feel that way.

You sucked it up and stayed tactical.

Seriously well done.

Go find a heavy bag/bag of mulch, baseball bat, and release that anger.
    Or go get a 12 gauge and couple of milk jugs, have some fun! It's a great stress reliever. Just remember it's only a solution after the fact, never during the event, unless there is no other option and it's a true self defense situation.

Might be a good idea to analyze the options and possibilities some more. This probably puts you more often in a weaker position, in all ways, than a stronger one. There are exceptions, of course. Being trapped in a car that cannot move may make a difference. Depends on details. Often, however, probably not the best move to jump out of the car.

Motorcycle would make a difference. But then, it's easier to get out of a tight space on a bike. Judgment call, I guess. Still, no one response is going to work in all situations. "Stand(ing) up for yourself" is not the issue.

Judo interjects a motorcycle in this scenario and starting to confuse a lot of individuals... Judo talks about events first in his car, then on a motorcycle. The original post had nothing to do with motorcycles. We should do our best to keep on topic and not change the factors which has a tendency to confuse a lot of people making posts.

Motorcycles are a totally different mode of conveyance than what was being discussed and thus introduces a completely different set of responses.
    9MMare likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

We got a 4 lane Highway that squeezes down to 2 one going left and one going right,there are numerous merge signs the last 1/2 mile before the merge,and people will try to race ahead to squeeze into an opening,during rush hour I exit before and it takes me a couple extra minutes,but it beats getting hit by a moron while I'm on a bike.Almost every fatality accident in my county happens at that location.I carry 24/7 if some road rager wants to get out and approach me on my bike in a threatening manner he will get a verbal warning first,next option will be either OC,or my firearm,depending on situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey 9: Pushing your cell phone front and center and taking pictures does not sound like a good idea. Depending on what kind of a crazy road rage nut you are dealing with, this can elevate the rage and cause more problems. I certainly understand your thinking on this but I also think it can go very wrong. Even just ignoring the guy with your windows up and doors locked can elevate this idiot's rage. Apologize, while grinding your teeth, can't hurt (I know--curbing your manliness can be difficulty) and driving away is the best course of action. If he follows you, you drive to the police department. Anything else is like putting bacon out to a hungry dog. You have got to keep in mind that ultimately you can actually kill someone over this ridiculous incident.
    Thank you Kel. If I can avoid him approaching the car, I will, period (meaning, if I can drive off, I will.) Otherwise he is a threat...not necessarily a lethal threat at that point, but a danger. If the fear of being arrested backs him off (my taking pics and having evidence), then that is what I'm going for. If he doesnt have a weapon (as it seems from scenario and I'd also do a visual for a best guess)...then again....I'm in my car, safe. If he tries to break into car, I get out other side and keep car between us...all the time on 911 with the dispatcher listening in.

Not to mention that this is a dangerous person if they cant control themselves and are confronting me. I would like to pass this on to the cops...pics, 911 call. For general safety's sake. Not only that...what if he drives off and reports me for something? (not likely I actually did anything, but we all know about being the first one to call the cops....). I want to be on the record first.

And btw, I dont have to 'curb my manliness,'....I'm a lady! And yes, a woman but also a lady.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey 9: As I said in my comments, I fully understand your original comments and they make perfect sense as far as getting proof, pictures, comments to 911 etal. If someone, though, is willing to get out of their car in a uncontrollable rage (which, by definition is what is happening by him getting out of car in the first place), it really is time to get the heck out of there or swallow pride and agree with him and apologize because your only real option comes down to presentation and eventual use of the firearm. I would think that your female charms can't hurt, as opposed to some of us ugly male ducks. Be safe fellow forumette and G-d Bless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links