Man on front porch

Man on front porch

This is a discussion on Man on front porch within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I've got a little situation, well not technically me. My grandma lives by herself in a rather rural part of middle GA and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Man on front porch

Man on front porch

Hey guys I've got a little situation, well not technically me. My grandma lives by herself in a rather rural part of middle GA and has been having some issues with a man coming up on her porch and just hang out. She says she doesn't always hear him actually step up on the porch but every so often she'll hear him move on one of the chairs or something. She's called the cops a few times about it but they say they really can't do much. They've dusted for prints but nothing came back.

It doesn't happen more often than a couple times a month and the guy has never knocked on the door, broken or stolen anything but it's understandably scared her. She has a little .22 pistol that she's gone outside with after she's heard him (she's pretty brave) but she's never been able to see him. I've made a point to come stay with her every few weeks but I've never heard him myself, although my mom has before when she went down.

Any ideas of what to do besides try to catch him trespassing and show him my Glock?

Game camera

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

If you confront this guy, I see no need to show him your glock..unless he gets stupid..
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Brains before Bullets"

First and foremost, make sure that property is posted "no trespassing". That way if he shows up again he is at least breaking the law and the police should come out and fix his malfunction. The other suggestion would be to get a good dog that will alert your mother to the trespasser giving her enough time to phone the police, and you never know, the dog alone may be enough to persuade the loafer to scram and stay away.

I would strongly suggest to mother not to open the door and try to handle it herself. That may be just what the guy wants her to do.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Unless you want a brandishing charge (or equivalent for GA laws), keep the Glock holstered.....you don't carry to threaten people, you carry to defend.

Game camera, digital camera---tell him to leave, post No Tresspassing signs...move the chairs inside. Maybe explain to the police your grandmas situation again...that this person is unwelcome, and fear they might harm your grandma.

Do you have a description?

Bottomline: this is not the time to get macho and draw your gun to threaten someone. You will be arrested.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg1407 View Post
    Hey guys I've got a little situation, well not technically me. My grandma lives by herself in a rather rural part of middle GA and has been having some issues with a man coming up on her porch and just hang out. She says she doesn't always hear him actually step up on the porch but every so often she'll hear him move on one of the chairs or something. She's called the cops a few times about it but they say they really can't do much. They've dusted for prints but nothing came back.

It doesn't happen more often than a couple times a month and the guy has never knocked on the door, broken or stolen anything but it's understandably scared her. She has a little .22 pistol that she's gone outside with after she's heard him (she's pretty brave) but she's never been able to see him.From this I understand that no one has actually seen who or what is on the porch. So how do you know she has "been having some issues with a man coming up on her porch and just hang out". I've made a point to come stay with her every few weeks but I've never heard him myself, although my mom has before when she went down.

Any ideas of what to do besides try to catch him trespassing and show him my Glock?If you caught him and it was what I think it is then showing your Glock would be good. But a trap may be the best idea.

I would say the camera idea to actually get a picture of what is coming onto the porch would be in order. I know from my own experience that a coon can make a lot of noise. "She's called the cops a few times about it but they say they really can't do much. They've dusted for prints but nothing came back." Coons or other wild animal would not leave finger prints.

Just my thoughts!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Wow, if this really is a guy just hanging out on her porch he either has a plan to harm her, frighten her, or he's a real nut case. In any event the police need to be forced to do something.
    I would not have thought about the possibilty of it being a racoon, but that sounds highly likely, in fact more likely than someone trying to intimidate a senior citizen by just hanging out on the porch.
    The game camera sounds like a really good idea. If it's an animal you will now know what steps to take, (live trap) and if it does turn out to be a person, the mere presence of the camera may make him move on. If not you have evidence and a description to give to police.
    I would also suggest keeping a log of dates and times, perhaps he has a pattern that would make it easier to get the police there at the right time.

Either a game camera or a cheap baby monitor. Mom can walk around with baby monitor in her pocket.

All in all, I agree the game camera would probably be the best start, but if that is impractical, you might be able to borrow a game trap from the local conservation agent, or animal shelter. I tend to agree it might be a racoon. You could also sprinkle some flour on the porch to see what king of foot prints you get. We used to keep birdseed on the deck in metal garbage cans. The racoons would take the lids off the cans and push them around the deck. Talk about eerie noises. I finally had to screw the lids on...Made it tough to refill the bird feeders.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    You didn't say how old your grandma is and what her general health is like. Is there any possibility that she is imagining this?

It sure sounds odd, and the police found no prints. Then too, it didn't happen when you went out there either.

A camera (and a dog) would both be good ideas, but pay some very careful attention to grandma's other speech and behavior, and how she responds to stuff. You might be looking at a very early sign of senility or a neurological problem. She also might just be fearful of being alone and it manifests itself with something odd like this.

And if it is real, maybe she needs some other living arrangement till the guy is caught. No one in their right mind or without malevolent intent would behave that way.
    Tzadik, archer51, Bark'n and 3 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Unless you want a brandishing charge (or equivalent for GA laws), keep the Glock holstered.....you don't carry to threaten people, you carry to defend.

Game camera, digital camera---tell him to leave, post No Tresspassing signs...move the chairs inside. Maybe explain to the police your grandmas situation again...that this person is unwelcome, and fear they might harm your grandma.

Do you have a description?

Bottomline: this is not the time to get macho and draw your gun to threaten someone. You will be arrested.
    Agreed. But Georgia allows open carry so this may be a good time to OC.

Sounds like an animal such as a raccoon like others suggested but I would also make sure grandma isn't imagining things. Look for other signs that she may be having issues.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It could also be a cat. I like game camera idea.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    He said his mother has seen this man also so I'd rule out coon unless his mother heard something but didn't see it. I took it as his mother has seen this man. I'd vote for a game cam and a dog sounds like you grandma could use a companion anyway. Even if it is one of those little yappy mutts they still make good alarms.

You could also ask the pd to make a couple extra patrols by the house and when you get him on camera give the photos to the police so they have a picture to go by. Also as mentioned post no trespassing signs.

Hope your grandmother is ok and keep us posted.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    How old is grandma? My wife's grandma is pushing 90 and swears that there is a family living in her attic who steals food out of her fridge. Suffice it to say that there is not. So is it remotely possible that grandma is imagining this guy? If so, then it's time to think about grandma's well-being living alone in rural Georgia.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Could there be a mentally challenged person in the neighborhood? Not trying to make a joke, but if Grandma is really sane and has seen a person who has done nothing but sit on her porch, this is more likely just an oddball or mentally challenged person roaming the countryside. He sees a seat and takes it for a bit and probably just moves on after awhile.

Who knows?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links