OK Man Gets Life for Shooting Teen Thief

This is a discussion on OK Man Gets Life for Shooting Teen Thief within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this is a duplicate, I apologize....I couldn't find any other threads on it (i did look). I always thought 1st Degree Murder meant pre-meditiation...guess ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: OK Man Gets Life for Shooting Teen Thief

OK Man Gets Life for Shooting Teen Thief

If this is a duplicate, I apologize....I couldn't find any other threads on it (i did look).

I always thought 1st Degree Murder meant pre-meditiation...guess I was wrong. Doesn't say if robber was armed or not.

Oklahoma Man Gets Life Sentence in Shooting Death of Teen Thief - FoxNews.com
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

2. Remove Ads

Was this the guy that shot the robber then went and got another gun and shot him again (like a minute later), after the robber was down and incapacitated? I sort of remember a video................
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Yep, same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Was this the guy that shot the robber then went and got another gun and shot him again (like a minute later), after the robber was down and incapacitated? I sort of remember a video................
    That's the one. I heard about it awhile ago and had to google the guy's name to confirm. General concensus was that the initial shot was justifiable self defense. Returning to the guy after chasing the other would-be-robber from the store and shooting him five times it what turned it into 1st degree murder/homicide.

Lesson learned: Still a threat? Keep shooting. No longer a threat? Stop shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    If this is a duplicate, I apologize....I couldn't find any other threads on it (i did look).

I always thought 1st Degree Murder meant pre-meditiation...guess I was wrong. Doesn't say if robber was armed or not.
    Yeah, but I guess the jury felt it was pre-meditated because he had time to go get a second gun and then shoot the incapacitated thief. We've discussed this topic at length before. Just to re-iterate my feelings on the matter: This was a dumb thing to do, but on the other hand the thief would have probably died anyway. I wouldn't have done it myself, but I would not have convicted the guy of murder if I had been on the jury, either.

Convicted by your own surveillance cameras. That sucks.

Lesson: empty your magazine early.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Convicted by your own surveillance cameras. That sucks.

Lesson: empty your magazine early.
    Exactly! Double tap to start, if that isn't enough, double tap again. Do NOT!!--NOT!!!-- leave the area, then return and shoot the incapacitated BG again. Unless, of course, the BG is less incapacitated than you originally thought and is shooting at you again.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

The justice system in this case worked. The pharmacist is a Douche.
    Badey, TN_Mike, garyacman and 1 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    I read up on this one and watched the store videos. It really is almost spooky to watch him go out, come back, walk RIGHT PAST the downed kid, go to the back of the store, come back and just fire five more shots... calm, steady.. no panic, no rush. Not to mention he made a lot of false statements that the security video just did not back up.

Yes.. he was justified at FIRST but when he had to deliberately come back into the store, walk over the kid to get another gun and come back to shoot him five more times, that looks like murder to me. I would have convicted him as well... maybe not to life and 1st degree murder but 2nd degree or the equivalent.. you bet!

I agree Lima. I'm all for self-defense, but he barely gives the robber a passing glance as he calmly walks by to the back room, grabs a second gun, aims and pumps in 5 additional rounds. If he was concerned the robber was still a danger, he didn't show it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I dont know. I understand the legal aspects and have no intention of violating them in any way. However, that doesn't change my personal opinion on the matter. I still think a grave injustice was done. As far as I'm concerned that robber no matter age or gender or whatever is worth LESS than an ant.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I dont know. I understand the legal aspects and have no intention of violating them in any way. However, that doesn't change my personal opinion on the matter. I still think a grave injustice was done. As far as I'm concerned that robber no matter age or gender or whatever is worth LESS than an ant.
    Even if that is your thinking there are clear consequences for the action of murder if you have stepped out of the boundaries of self defense.

Personally, I think there are a lot of people worth less than ants... rapists, men who beat women, child molesters... but I cannot step outside of the law and execute them.

I do not feel bad that the robber was shot. I feel no sympathy for him. He chose to rob that store and he paid a heavy price for his involvement. Him getting shot is not my problem.

What I have a problem with is someone thinking they have the right to execute someone who did them wrong. Defending yourself against an attack? ABSOLUTELY! But this guy was NOT defending himself when he shot him the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth times.

We are not vigilantes or "the Punisher." We protect ourselves from immediate lethal threats.. in the absence of that we have no right to take another life no matter how much they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Self defense is one thing. I agree On that. At the point when he walked back in and grabbed the other gun, and shot the kid, he crossed the line. If anyone of us did that, we would be judged the same.
    garyacman likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm a little split on this. I agree with the verdict. This man clearly murdered the teen as defined by law.

My problem is that I like dead offenders, and deep down I don't really care how they get dead. This guy took a nasty young criminal that would have plagued society for years off of the street for good. I would like to see a law that says that if you are committing a violent felony your life is essentially forfeit.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm a little split on this. I agree with the verdict. This man clearly murdered the teen as defined by law.

My problem is that I like dead offenders, and deep down I don't really care how they get dead. This guy took a nasty young criminal that would have plagued society for years off of the street for good. I would like to see a law that says that if you are committing a violent felony your life is essentially forfeit.
    That is the way it used to be. In days of olde if you were declared an "outlaw" that meant you were outside the law. Any good citizen could kill you without punishment. In some places land owners were obligated to kill you if the opportunity presented itself. Some say we have made progress in the last three or four centuries. I am not completely convinced myself.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links