Had a little bit of a moment...

This is a discussion on Had a little bit of a moment... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing major. Went outside to grab something off the back porch that my fiancee left on her way to work this morning, and saw two ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: Had a little bit of a moment...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Nothing major. Went outside to grab something off the back porch that my fiancee left on her way to work this morning, and saw two strange men, a truck, and a trailer in my back yard.

There are no windows facing the back porch, there is one window facing the back yard, and one in the kitchen that faces the road, and part of the driveway; the back porch is at the corner of the house, between the two. I opened the door, pushed the dog back with my foot, THAT was when I noticed one guy standing at the tailgate of the truck, and THEN the guy coming up the stairs onto the porch. Left hand immediately went to my left-front pocket. (Which was conveniently full with a loaded .357 snubbie ) Guy at the tailgate of the truck said we're here to pick up the refrigerator. (The one in the house when we moved in was no good, so the man who owns the house we're renting replaced it. Lots of back-story, but I had to move the old one out, and new one in)

So, nothing bad happened, it wasn't the boogeyman and a friend coming to get me and the dog. It was just the guy who owns the place coming to get his broken refrigerator. I'm a little upset with myself that it took me about a second to realize that there was someone there, and THEN note the other guy coming up the stairs. But I didn't get an adrenaline dump, and I didn't actually draw. And I'm a little proud of how quickly my hand ended up where I could easily draw without thought, or letting on that I was carrying.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

TVJ
    There always seems to be something we can pick apart by our actions.

You were plenty ready for business without an overboard display.

Well Done!
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    no harm, no foul

would be good if you could ramp up your base line awareness though..

play a game for a week---count each day how many people surrounding you are wearing something "blue" from their neck collier up and on their feet.
    give yourself an extra point for those you spot more than 20 feet away.

simple game, thats all their is to it.

------------

as you open an outer door; you stand such that you can glance between the door and the wall (that gap created by the hinges); you also look at the glass in the door for reflections--no glass; than a fast sweep of the head....before your feet are carrying you out the door. once outside you let your eyes roam for motion or something out of place. your mind (like a computer) will remember how things looked last nite and cue you to any differences today. trust yourself.
    have the wife move something and keep doing it till you catch on.
    and remember to count 'blue'

---------------
    your hand found the pocket.....some things you are well practiced with.
    and the was no panic---also very good.
    be well
    Last edited by claude clay; July 12th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Justified likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    There always seems to be something we can pick apart by our actions.

You were plenty ready for business without an overboard display.

Well Done!
    Good Job

This is good you should post a game every day. I wonder if there is an APP for that?

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    no harm, no foul

play a game for a week---count each day how many people surrounding you are wearing something "blue" from their neck collier up and on their feet.

------------

as you open an outer door; you stand such that you can glance between the door and the wall (that gap created by the hinges); you also look at the glass in the door for reflections--no glass; than a fast sweep of the head....before your feet are carrying you out the door. once outside you let your eyes roam for motion or something out of place. your mind (like a computer) will remember how things looked last nite and cue you to any differences today. trust yourself.

---------------
    be well
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Is that a gun in your pocket, or you just happy to see me?

Just another reason to have a gun on your person, even when inside your home.

It could have just as easily been a bad day. Someone who's been casing your house and knowing you don't have many windows to see out in the backyard may just decide to gain entry from the back of the house.

I'm glad it was a harmless event, but even more glad you have the forethought to have a gun in your pocket. Good job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Would have been nice if your landlord would have called to give you a heads-up.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Would have been nice if your landlord would have called to give you a heads-up.
    Ditto on that. Common courtesy would have been a knock on the door. Oh, I forget. Some out there won't respod to that without a required 48-hr notice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    no harm, no foul

------------

---------------
    be well
    That's a good idea. I'll probably start doing something like that. I just don't think there's that much 'blue' around here; I'll have to double check so I'll know which one I should be counting.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Links