The Wal-Mart Factor

This is a discussion on The Wal-Mart Factor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G30 now which allows 11 rounds. When Im not carrying my G30 I am carrying my G23 which gives 14. I only ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Wal-Mart Factor

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I carry a G30 now which allows 11 rounds. When Im not carrying my G30 I am carrying my G23 which gives 14. I only carry these because I shoot them best and they give me a good caliber with sufficient capacity. The extra mag that I carry is for the G21 and G22 respectively giving me the extra rounds.
    To me, there is always the possibility of having a confrontation with a BG or BG"s, no matter where I go. Therefore, no matter where I go, I want what I shoot best with me at all times..... and I am glad that it holds more than 5 rounds.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I think I see what you are getting at here OP - basically that Walmart is a perfect example of "anyone and everyone will be there at some point". Whereas some folks may never step foot in an Office Max or Staples, and others may never go into the Amish Leather & Tack shop. You get a darn near 100% mix of every single type of person in a Walmart, given enough time there at all hours you may literally run into every single member of your community.

In your situation I'd be very, very cautious, period (well yeah, of course you already are!). Beyond being cautious, packing heavy enough to be confidant, and going during the busier times of the day, I don't see many ways to improve things. I have no LEO background, or many friends who do; are you in a position to wear your vest in the store? To me, that sounds like a decent idea, but it may sound hilariously overkill to you and everyone else... just tossing the idea out there.
    Our officers have no vests issued to us(long story). I have a used one given to me by the Sheriffs Dept. I keep it in my vehicle for duty use but it is not concealable or prudent for regular wear. Based on your reply you get more about what the intention of my post is here.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPatria View Post
    I recommend wearing a ball-cap and sunglasses at wally world, at least the ball-cap. Also, make sure to dress differently than you do (plain-clothes) at work. I would skip the 511 pants/shirt, the "shoot-me-first" vests, door-kicker shirts, blue-line bracelets, etc. We often make it too easy for the bad guys by advertising.

Another few things I would recommend: if you carry your pistol, in addition to your spare mags and EDC, be sure to also carry handcuffs (or tuff-ties, etc.) (with a cuff key, don't forget); also carry your badge somewhere on your belt or neck, near the pistol; carry a small OC spray with you, for various liability and non-lethal defensive reasons (sometimes they don't need to be shot, but really still need to go to the hospital and then jail).

Also don't let anxiety and stress get the better of you- just take the precautions, prepare well, and keep your situational awareness. You sound way more prepared and concerned than the average off-duty LEO, if that encourages you at all.
    I wear a suit and tie at work year round. I go strictly jeans/shorts and t-shirt when not working. I wear a ball cap maybe 40% of the time. I have run in to people I work closely with and they dont recognize me most of the time in a cap. My wife and I also are form nowhere near here which helps some because nobody outside our work and school really know us. I cant really carry less lethal or handcuffs or my badge on my belt or around my neck. Our agency is very against us taking LE action in their name. By statute and policy we have arrest authority over our offenders only. Our agency has a policy and state code allows us to carry a firearm and requires us to be qualified with OC spray and handcuffing techniques annually, if carrying a firearm. Now comes the kind of sticky part. We are employed by our State Court but work for our local Judges. The agency lets our Judges decide if we carry on the job. One ABSOLUTELY will not approve of us to do so, the other will. The anti rules the roost, all while carrying a snubbie on the bench. He wants us to "leave the badge on the belt and the gun on the hip" and any arresting to the Sheriff's Deputies. I carry off duty on my CCP, and on duty on the DL. Anything I would do off duty would technically be as a private citizen, with absolutely no support from my agency, after action. The general public and my LE colleagues would expect me to do something given my quasi LEO status. My conscience and training overall would not allow me to stand and watch.

My offenders dont care I am not a Cop. They see me as the arresting officer sending them to prison after they thought they got off on probation. They will hurt or kill me if necessaryand it would probably happen intheir home. We work at will and pleasure and can be fired at anytime for about any cause. So any action I take would be at the peril of my career, but Ill look for another job if need be.

Since I have nobody backing me up figuratively and literally I tend to try and think 3 steps ahead at all times. Hope this all makes more sense.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

JW,

Weapon choice is a personal choice, weather, etc notwithstanding. I carry nothing smaller than a GP100, 3", .357 or a 92FS. I am accurate with either one. Either has a decent intimidation factor, but I don't consider that. Should I decide I am justified in drawing, I am not interested in the intimidation factor, the purpose of the draw is to expedite the time frame and accuracy of my first shot, should it become necessary. Should the intimidation factor of my weapon dissuade an aggressor, ok, but it is merely a collateral benefit.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    As I read the OP, I find the subject is not about Walmarts. These situations can happen anywhere. The subject is SD and what gun to carry for what situation. One, I would never count on presentation as a deterrent. Irrational people will maintain their crazy ways no matter. You are more comfortable with your bigger semi, you have more shots for follow up, and you will be more effective with it. Carry it.
    This is largely what I am getting at. While I am specifically talking about Wal Mart, I am also using it as a metaphor and spring board for other situations, in day to day living. Wally is pretty universal even though some here dont go, most of the rest of society dont have that much of a honed social conscience and will put up with a lot for convenience and the thrill of a good deal.

For those who simply say I shouldnt have or carry the snub or practice with it more...I have practiced with it enough to know Its not my go to fighting handgun. It is down and dirty bad breath distance gun at best. If I wanted a smaller recoil gun I would have bought a plain 38. I like the option of 357 for a bunch of reasons. I just will not let its convenient nature convince me to carry it and use it when not appropriate to do so.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    Give me your thoughts and if I have lead you to think about this differently or if you will just keep doing it as you do and carry a tiny gun for summer because it is more comfortable.
    my thoughts...

Only people that have never had to use a gun carry weenie ones.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I didn't read any part that says you cannot carry, as a private citizen, OC spray and handcuffs. And as for the badge, it's better to carry it and not get shot by responding officers/security/etc. If you shoot, you should handcuff. If you OC spray, you should handcuff. As you say, you are certified annually in those things, so when you're sued you can state your training and experience for the record. It's nice to have another option besides just the pistol- when all you carry is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Train, shoot, and write your state/local/US reps, as often as you post on gun boards, and America will be just fine. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    my thoughts...

Only people that have never had to use a gun carry weenie ones.
    Yes, having a gun stuck in your face a couple of times will quickly change your perspective on things. My wife says I suffer from PTSS. I prefer to think I'm just still pissed off after 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPatria View Post
    I didn't read any part that says you cannot carry, as a private citizen, OC spray and handcuffs. And as for the badge, it's better to carry it and not get shot by responding officers/security/etc. If you shoot, you should handcuff. If you OC spray, you should handcuff. As you say, you are certified annually in those things, so when you're sued you can state your training and experience for the record. It's nice to have another option besides just the pistol- when all you carry is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Actually I worded that ambiguously....We only receive said training if allowed to carry a firearm, when approved by our Judge. Our office is not approved. I only have training from working for another agency. I am the only one in our office who has such training and that was almost 10 years ago.

I am just glad Wally World does not stand in the way of my right to defend myself.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Moderator
    No one that I ever knew that was in a gun fight ever wished for a smaller gun.

All that I have talked to that used a small gun in a gun fight wished they had a bigger one.

When you feel the heat and blast smacks you in the face, whatever you have in your hand wont feel big enough.
    jwhite75, JD and MikeNice like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That is why I referred to that cops story about his compact 1911 not being enough gun for the fight he found himself in. I am not expecting a full out running gun battle in Wal Mart but its a good a place as any for one to start and given the statistics alone of Wally world, it is more apt to happen there than other random places in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    One of my coworkers told me.."Even serial killers need toilet paper and they come here to buy it..."

That will give you something to think about when you are looking at the individual on the other side of the register.
    It's not the guy buying toilet paper I would worry about. It's the guy with two rolls of duck tape, some rope, a dog chain, large garbage bags, plastic drop clothes, a hacksaw and bleach I would worry about.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Like most of us (I hope) I never want to fire my weapon at anybody. This said, I like the added respect a large bore gun will provide which hopefully reduces the need to squeeze the trigger. Energy and stopping power are a factor of weight and velocity. I prefer lower velocity heavier round so as to prevent over penetration if I should need to fire the gun. Prefer to leave as much lead in the person I shoot at as possible not in the wall or? behind them. Lets not go to the "Shot Placement" argument here OK? I just want to know that IF I point my gun they will notice. And, if I so fire it has the best chance to stop and to not over penetrate. I do wish a 1911 could carry 20+ rounds like some 9mm's but every choice has it's down sides.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I am very SA when in Wal Mart, after all there are other people like me in there shopping.

Some Wal Marts seem much worse than others about the costumers walking around in them.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

After recently brushing up on my drawing (and for me - chambering) skills at home using some snap-caps, I came to the conclusion I should be carrying my Glock 99% of the time. I have gotten lazy the last few months and have been carrying a tiny gun (Taurus TCP) about 50% of the time because it was easy and comfortable to carry. But I know beyond of shadow of a doubt I would not want to be in a situation that required me to use the tiny gun. Sure - its better than nothing. But it doesn't hold many rounds, doesn't look as menacing to the bad guy, is less comfortable to fire, and not nearly as accurate. This has little to do with the caliber of the gun, though.

However, as I posted in another thread, now that I've become mentally comfortable carrying my Glock OWB with a shirt covering it, I have found that I can carry my Glock 99% of the time. The main reason I wanted the smaller gun in the past is because the Glock was too big and uncomfortable to wear IWB for long periods, especially when sitting down.

However, in regards to the original poster, why would you think that in Wal-Mart you would need to have a lot more rounds available? Do you foresee a prolonged gun battle, chasing people down the isles of a crowded store? Do you foresee a gang of thugs attacking you? I would personally tend to think Wal-Mart is fairly safe place to be. I'm far more worried about the parking lot at Wal-Mart than I am the inside.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links