The Wal-Mart Factor - Page 3

The Wal-Mart Factor

This is a discussion on The Wal-Mart Factor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me it's all about control and concealability/comfort. The most common question I've been asked in the last six months has been why I went ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Wal-Mart Factor

Senior Moderator
    For me it's all about control and concealability/comfort.

The most common question I've been asked in the last six months has been why I went from my 1911 in .45 to a 9mm Glock for standard carry.

I think an honest carrier/shooter is constantly evaluating his/herself and making adjustments accordingly.

I have my son with me 99% of the time I step out of this house. I could control a .45 great when I was shooting regularly. When I got pregnant with my son I couldn't shoot as much and after his birth I lost a lot of weight and a lot of muscle. I found it much harder to control the .45 one handed which is more-than-likely how I would end up shooting as my other arm/hand would be used to control my child.

It was a bit of a bruise to my pride but I stepped down to a 9mm out of honesty. Gaining a few more rounds was a bonus because I might need those rounds.

I feel more confident with my Glock right now and since I'm pregnant again and still not able to get back to the level of shooting I was doing before I got pregnant the first time I'm going to continue to carry the Glock and for the foreseeable future I will probably stick with the Glock.

Being pregnant it is a little harder to carry as regularly but I manage.

I say all that to say that, yes, while a gun is a personal choice it should also be based on an honest evaluation of shooting ability and potential need.

If I were in your exact same shoes I would probably try to be carrying a firearm with more capacity just in case there were more than one or two who decided to put me in my place, but that is based upon my own evaluation of what I know about ME, personally and my level of training and the fact that with a child in arm I don't want to ever have to worry about getting stuck in a bad situation at slide lock and no more ammo.

My own personal situations make it very cumbersome to carry a spare magazine. I manage sometimes but I'm also carrying a tactical pen, pepper spray, flashlight, cell phone, wallet, purse, diaper bag, two y/o, pregnant belly, books, toys. I have to draw the line somewhere or I'd need MOLLE gear.

Like I said, I think an honest appraisal of one's self, environment, needs and likelihood of encounter should all be considered in firearm selection.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar

work in mot nice paces

as mine did, so it seems your work has you to be in places and under circumstances that, given a choice--you would chose not to.

such it was that i developed methods of carrying myself and accessories that served me perfectly for 4 decades.
    i say 'perfectly' cause for all the attempts on me from many directions and degrees of ingenuity; none ever even had me cause to fire a shot.
    i can say that they lacked surprise and the most fell apart before they really got started.

one has a primary and a secondary.
    life comes at you fast and from many directions
    one trains in a martial arts....havig a gun means not that it is always the answer--
    or even the best answer. taking a knife away from a punk can be rather...disarming; and off putting for him and his friends to have happen.

one has multiple combinations of 'weapons' as the weather and manor of dress change.
    as does where and when you may be somewhere.
    and that your arrival may be different than your destination--you have back up plans...indeed-many of them
    the what-if game is on going as long as you are awake--but it is in the back ground of your mind and only comes forward if there is something 'odd'

as to which guns you chose at any given moment from yours accumulation--thats based on your personal fit and fitness level.
    never felt the need for a bigger gun; a Defender or p-239/40 sufices.
    its is the presentation more so that counts.
    how you train is the same in theory. if what you have been doing did not work, neither would you be for long.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

This is a very good thread, Thanks OP for bringing the subject up. I have always been one to believe that if you train for the worse case scenario and train at 200 MPH if the need to use your weapon comes up, you should be prepared. With that said, I also carry a weapon system that allows me to respond to that worse case scenario. (active shooter/multiple gunmen is my worse case scenario).

Im not saying that it will ever happen, but I train and prepare for it. I think you have found your worse case scenario, and Im glad that you decided to pack a little more weapon. I think you are making a good choice.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by ProPatria View Post
    I recommend wearing a ball-cap and sunglasses at wally world, at least the ball-cap. Also, make sure to dress differently than you do (plain-clothes) at work. I would skip the 511 pants/shirt, the "shoot-me-first" vests, door-kicker shirts, blue-line bracelets, etc. We often make it too easy for the bad guys by advertising.

Another few things I would recommend: if you carry your pistol, in addition to your spare mags and EDC, be sure to also carry handcuffs (or tuff-ties, etc.) (with a cuff key, don't forget); also carry your badge somewhere on your belt or neck, near the pistol; carry a small OC spray with you, for various liability and non-lethal defensive reasons (sometimes they don't need to be shot, but really still need to go to the hospital and then jail).

Also don't let anxiety and stress get the better of you- just take the precautions, prepare well, and keep your situational awareness. You sound way more prepared and concerned than the average off-duty LEO, if that encourages you at all.
    the "shoot-me-first" vests,?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    After recently brushing up on my drawing (and for me - chambering) skills at home using some snap-caps, I came to the conclusion I should be carrying my Glock 99% of the time. I have gotten lazy the last few months and have been carrying a tiny gun (Taurus TCP) about 50% of the time because it was easy and comfortable to carry. But I know beyond of shadow of a doubt I would not want to be in a situation that required me to use the tiny gun. Sure - its better than nothing. But it doesn't hold many rounds, doesn't look as menacing to the bad guy, is less comfortable to fire, and not nearly as accurate. This has little to do with the caliber of the gun, though.

However, as I posted in another thread, now that I've become mentally comfortable carrying my Glock OWB with a shirt covering it, I have found that I can carry my Glock 99% of the time. The main reason I wanted the smaller gun in the past is because the Glock was too big and uncomfortable to wear IWB for long periods, especially when sitting down.

However, in regards to the original poster, why would you think that in Wal-Mart you would need to have a lot more rounds available? Do you foresee a prolonged gun battle, chasing people down the isles of a crowded store? Do you foresee a gang of thugs attacking you? I would personally tend to think Wal-Mart is fairly safe place to be. I'm far more worried about the parking lot at Wal-Mart than I am the inside.

Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Trolley Square shooting was first responded to by an off duty police officer in a shopping mall, while there with his family. The demographics and size and multiple ingress and egress points with a mixed population of persons from different socioeconomic classes, of a mall are very comparable to a WalMart. The gunman came in spraying with a rifle and a shotgun and a backpack of ammo. The officer carried a commander or officer size 1911, and stated multiple times that he wished he ahd been more prepared with more gun and or more ammo to engage the threat. I am not so worried about my offenders as I am the unknown of who is coming in the store at any given time through multiple access points, relatively unchecked.

And like I have said...Wal mart in this particular thread was simply a catalyst for thought to me, and changes my viewpoint on a lot of situations in everyday life that are part of our routine. I am not JUST talking about when we go to Wal Mart.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    the "shoot-me-first" vests,?
    5.11 or other brand type "photograher type" Tactical vests.

Tactical Vest | 5.11 Concealed Carry Tactical Vest

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    5.11 or other brand type "photograher type" Tactical vests.

Tactical Vest | 5.11 Concealed Carry Tactical Vest
    I figured that was it, however, I would bet the majority of people have no idea of the CCW's purpose of these vests. They probably think it's just some type of "fashion statement".

Unless of course it is emblazened with NRA, IDPA, Glock patches.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

In my expereince there are two forms of criminals, criminals who do bad tnings to support their deviant behavior (drugs alcohol etc) and criminals who do it like a job or self made business. The latter will know what those vests are along with Glock shirts, Blue Line bracelets, Infidel shrts, key hangers, and basket weave belts, etc. They know certain people wear them and carry themsleves in a certain fashion. Why?... because it is their "job".

I absoultely never knew the difference until I started doing what I do about 11 years ago. My mind is bent like that now.
    SIXTO, MikeNice and oakchas like this.

Cool

I do not have a problem carrying and concealing my G-23. Yes I need a cover garment but a lightweight cotton short sleeve shirt works just fine.

I would rather have the extra rounds and never need them than to need them and not have them.

In a stressful life and death situation fine motor skills go out the window and that all in the 10 ring on the range turns into maybe not so accurate in the real world.

You never really know the hand you are going to be delt in a situation like the one's described.

Anyone who has carried a firearm in the performance of their daily duties and seen what can happen in the real world knows you can never have to much ammo.

Thanks for posting the thread jwhite75. Good food for thought.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

click image to enlarge....
    Guantes and jwhite75 like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Moh bullets, moh bettah.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProPatria View Post
    I didn't read any part that says you cannot carry, as a private citizen, OC spray and handcuffs. And as for the badge, it's better to carry it and not get shot by responding officers/security/etc. If you shoot, you should handcuff. If you OC spray, you should handcuff. As you say, you are certified annually in those things, so when you're sued you can state your training and experience for the record. It's nice to have another option besides just the pistol- when all you carry is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Oh please let LEO's catch a private citizen with a gun and handcuffs, please please please. Why would a private citizen need handcuffs or flex ties, your job is to get out of dodge and maybe shoot a threat and get to safety, not apprehend the suspect, thats where quasi and full LEO's come in. If a private citizen tried to handcuff me, it would not be pretty. Leave the handcuffs at home unless you have a LEO's badge and ID to back em up, thats almost as dumb as carrying a CCW badge. Good advice for the op, not for the private citizen in general. As for the OP, since you have a badge issued by an agency, carry some flex cuffs off duty just in case.
    Maverickx50 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Good Lord if you feel the need to be heavily armed anywhere...dont go there. Esp shopping.

I go to Wally World occasionally....and I may be armed, and I may not be. I dont let the fact that I do or dont have my firearm determine if I run in.

I'm not sure that's what the OP was about, but it seems to have devolved that way.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

............. but I'm also carrying a tactical pen, pepper spray, flashlight, cell phone, wallet, purse, diaper bag, two y/o, pregnant belly, books, toys.
    Is that not a tactical diaper bag?

Good post - it illustrates how matters effect our position, training and how we should be sensitive to that input and be willing to change if needed........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I think that saying I'll avoid ( fill in the store) is like saying I won't drive down this road and I'll be safer taking another route. While that may be true the point is that avoiding a certain road, store or area does NOT guarantee total safety. A bungee cord for a seat belt would work just fine until you really need it. I feel the same about my personal defense weapon. It is literally a pain in my side ( 1911) and I have considered a more carry friendly weapon. ( lets not get into caliber wars etc.) You carry what makes you comfortable and is reasonable FOR YOU. If your job places you in an above normal exposure then do what it takes to FEEL safe or at least safer. I did not say be safe, as I believe there is no true safety guarranteed. I hook up my seat belt every because I may need it. I carry the biggest gun I can tolerate. If I worked with bad guys as my daily job I would have a backup gun for sure.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

As an added after thought to this...I am planning a trip to the beach soon. I drive an SUV with lot sof hidey holes in it. For the trip I would prefer to not have my Glock riding in my love handles for the 6 hour drive. I will slip my J-Frame in to my pocket and my Glock in to my console, in a kydex paddle holster for easy on and off. I feel that is more than appropriate given the situation. If I go into a large shopping mall or other type setting the Glock will get called in to service. Otherwise the only threat will be the people at gas stations etc. While not more controlled, it is a location with more visibility and less exposure away from my Glock, and an acceptable risk to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links