The Wal-Mart Factor

This is a discussion on The Wal-Mart Factor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by INccwchris Oh please let LEO's catch a private citizen with a gun and handcuffs, please please please. Why would a private citizen ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Wal-Mart Factor

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Oh please let LEO's catch a private citizen with a gun and handcuffs, please please please. Why would a private citizen need handcuffs or flex ties, your job is to get out of dodge and maybe shoot a threat and get to safety, not apprehend the suspect, thats where quasi and full LEO's come in. If a private citizen tried to handcuff me, it would not be pretty. Leave the handcuffs at home unless you have a LEO's badge and ID to back em up, thats almost as dumb as carrying a CCW badge. Good advice for the op, not for the private citizen in general. As for the OP, since you have a badge issued by an agency, carry some flex cuffs off duty just in case.
    I AGREE!!! About the only thing I've seen recently that's as dumb as a CCW badge is a bumper or window sticker in a car stating it's protected by Smith & Wesson.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

But if he keeps coming, you have enough firepower to deal with him. If he has buddies, they will probably pick a or b above because this isn't their fight.
    Have you ever had to work with gang members? These guys tend to stick together when they are together. Running from a fight can get them killed later. People seem to misunderstand the truly hard core criminal element. They operate on a sociopathic level that makes them more dangerous than your average purse snatcher.

I carry my P-07 Duty with sixteen rounds. I know that I have enough for more than 95% of the times I might ever need it. I also know that seeing a larger gun has a bigger psychological impact. Most criminals will avoid getting shot. A group will back down when they think you have more bullets than they have people.

ETA:
    No I am not looking for a running gun battle. The simple fact is that mass shootings occur. "Flash Mob" attacks have started popping up in the criminal repertoire. Violent crime occurs less often than it did twenty years ago. The difference is that now the crimes are more violent and involve multiple assailants more often.

The times are changing and so is my carry choice.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I AGREE!!! About the only thing I've seen recently that's as dumb as a CCW badge is a bumper or window sticker in a car stating it's protected by Smith & Wesson.
    I have one of those on my front door, and NRA stickers all over it and my truck. I'm one of those guys who talks about guns no matter where he is, who he's with, or what hes doing. I have no problem with those stickers since to me its no different than putting political, or religious stickers on a vehicle
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Makes you a target too to those "job" criminals I talked about earlier.
    oakchas likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I have one of those on my front door, and NRA stickers all over it and my truck. I'm one of those guys who talks about guns no matter where he is, who he's with, or what hes doing. I have no problem with those stickers since to me its no different than putting political, or religious stickers on a vehicle
    I prefer the low profile approach. I also think that if I was a BG looking for a car/truck to break into yours would be my 1st choice. It's sort of like "open carry" feels like a cool way to go but for me the inconvenience for me and others is not worth the proving to them that I believe in exercising my 2nd amendment rights. Guess there is a bit of sheep in me too. Glad you and others are out there preaching I'll stay in the back row of the congregation LOL.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Personal opinion ; summer and warm / hot weather is when more people are out, and more stuff is likely to happen ... so I want the best gun capacity and amount of ammo. It's not time for pocket carry.
    MikeNice and Old School like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    I prefer the low profile approach. I also think that if I was a BG looking for a car/truck to break into yours would be my 1st choice. It's sort of like "open carry" feels like a cool way to go but for me the inconvenience for me and others is not worth the proving to them that I believe in exercising my 2nd amendment rights. Guess there is a bit of sheep in me too. Glad you and others are out there preaching I'll stay in the back row of the congregation LOL.
    Oh no, you are mistaken. Sheep dog breeders took hundreds of years to perfect the sheep dog. When they were done, they had a dog that not only looked after the flock, but it had a coat, gait, and even body structure to fit in with the sheep. This served two purposes; first, so the dog meant to protect them would not scare the sheep and that the sheep would allow the dogs among them. Second the predators (primarily wolves, cats and bear) quickly learned that it wasn't so easy for them to tell if a dog was present or not. Eventually, the learned to leave the flock alone.

Theodore Roosevelt had it right; walk softly and carry a big stick.
    Maverickx50 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    This is a firearm/CC/defense forum and, as such, specifically in this subsection, has threads and replies that tend to solely discuss "what if" or sometimes real scenarios. I tend to feel badly for many of my fellow forum members who seem to live and go about their daily activities as if they live in the middle of Bagdhad. Maybe I am very very fortunate but for 69 years, mostly in NY/NJ (not exactly a garden of peace and love), and now in Charleston, SC, I have never been put in a situation where the need for a firearm or the potential confrontational situation has ever taken place. Call it luck or call it my sense of acute situational awareness even in Walmart, or call it whatever---even a hint of naivete, but I truly feel concerned for our society when I read thread after thread and reply after reply that gives you a sense that this entire country is nothing but a lawless me vs the zombies society that is rapidly approaching armegeddon. I learn a lot from many of the threads and replies and can only hope that most of it is just words on the web. PS: I usually do not CC out and about but do CC in my car (road rage, breakdown on highway or middle of nowhere) and my household is "well prepared" since LEOs only investigate and do not protect.
    9MMare likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    This is a firearm/CC/defense forum and, as such, specifically in this subsection, has threads and replies that tend to solely discuss "what if" or sometimes real scenarios. I tend to feel badly for many of my fellow forum members who seem to live and go about their daily activities as if they live in the middle of Bagdhad. Maybe I am very very fortunate but for 69 years, mostly in NY/NJ (not exactly a garden of peace and love), and now in Charleston, SC, I have never been put in a situation where the need for a firearm or the potential confrontational situation has ever taken place. Call it luck or call it my sense of acute situational awareness even in Walmart, or call it whatever---even a hint of naivete, but I truly feel concerned for our society when I read thread after thread and reply after reply that gives you a sense that this entire country is nothing but a lawless me vs the zombies society that is rapidly approaching armegeddon. I learn a lot from many of the threads and replies and can only hope that most of it is just words on the web. PS: I usually do not CC out and about but do CC in my car (road rage, breakdown on highway or middle of nowhere) and my household is "well prepared" since LEOs only investigate and do not protect.
    Admittedly, we have had a recent influx of goofs posting the dumbest stuff that you are talking about. But, you have to keep in mind what DC is about. We are here to discuss and talk about self defense and the use of our firearms for that purpose. This is a place to bounce thoughts, plans and ideas off like minded individuals. Yes, a lot of the stuff posted here is over the top, and a small handful of our members tend to be a little on the mall ninja side... but this is where you can talk about the worst cases scenarios you can think of.

And how to you survive anything, be it a weekend camp out or world war 3?

The answer is timeless and simple....

Figure it out yet?

You plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    jryan06 and 9MMare like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This boils down to this for me: I carry what I am most comfortable carrying and that I shoot with the greatest accuracy. In the summer now, this tends to be my Kahr CW9. At other times, it is the Glock 23. I will be adding the XD .40 service model to the mix as soon as I get a good concealment holster.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Other than occasionally buying both merchandise and groceries, I rarely go to Walmart. Too crowded and in some places, especially Martinsville, VA (I don't live there but used to be assigned there), the parking over there is a hangout for teenagers having conversations in their cars. And the one at Military Hwy. in Norfolk, VA, there was even a dead body in a parked car at their lot many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Maybe I am very very fortunate but for 69 years, mostly in NY/NJ (not exactly a garden of peace and love), and now in Charleston, SC, I have never been put in a situation where the need for a firearm or the potential confrontational situation has ever taken place. Call it luck or call it my sense of acute situational awareness even in Walmart, or call it whatever---even a hint of naivete, but I truly feel concerned for our society when I read thread after thread and reply after reply that gives you a sense that this entire country is nothing but a lawless me vs the zombies society that is rapidly approaching armegeddon.
    My guess is (over that long of a period) that either you don't get out much, happen to be at the right places at the right time, weren't acutely aware of the things going on & didn't notice (quite common), or dang lucky & fortunate. Most people are really lucky they don't encounter things. I think the Natl Aver is that 1 of 10 people either know someone, or have had a family member involved in a violent attack, rape, robbery, etc.

Well, I"m the "opposite" of you. Worked violent crimes, etc. and catching /dealing with violent people, etc. I've seen what people can do. None it's very pretty. I also know that what most people "think" and see in the media, is only about 1/20th at a minimul of what actually goes on. You would be amazed at how much goes on that never will hit the news (including murders). I've been shot at several times, talked lots of people out of guns or knives they had at someone's head or throat, been threatened by the best, and even had BG's who threaten to kill me try breaking into my house to do in my familiy. But, I'm still here. So, my situational awareness was always on "extreme high", and now... about 1/2 as high as then.

Ok, now besides all of that, I am one of those people who it seems walks or turns the corner, at the wrong time. I'm always at the righit place at the wrong time. Consequently, even as John-citizen, I've walked into the middle , beggining or even the end of many things .... that I wished I hadn't.... but I was always in a good situation to handle whatever it was.

To answer your question, is there that much really going on there ? Yes, there is.
    So, is it a good idea to always be prepared in case it does ? My answer, is yes. Or, you can leave
    your being able to handle whatever might occur, to luck. Many victims wished they had never done that.

All of the above is the reason, I am always armed.

Is it, US vs. the zombies society that is rapidly approaching armegeddon ... NO ! !
    But, if it occurs, I'm prepared... LOL... I have lots of "garlic".
    Last edited by Eagleks; July 17th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I agree with the OPs assertion to step up to a 23 from a revolver. I have become more and more convinced that the revolver is relegated to the BUG role as far as defense goes. I am also becoming convinced that your primary better carry double digit rounds in it.

Hey, I used to have one of those stickers..........20+ years ago. LOL
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

For the OP, I definitely think the move to a higher capacity gun was a good move. For the average Joe who doesn't work in a job where people get mad just cause he exists, a snubbie with a reload or two is not bad. Especially if Joe can put his shots where he wants them.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links