Neighborhood Watch - Page 2

Neighborhood Watch

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Watch within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ws76133 Our local Code Blue - Citizen's On Patrol group is pretty successful in scattering the roaches into areas where they're less ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Neighborhood Watch

Quote Originally Posted by ws76133 View Post
    Our local Code Blue - Citizen's On Patrol group is pretty successful in scattering the roaches into areas where they're less likely to be seen. It's affiliated with the police department, and there's a specific prohibition on carrying a firearm, even with a CHL. There's no restriction on pepper spray, 5 cell mag lights aka clubs, etc.
    Glad things are working out for that group but I don't think I would walk around during peek crime hours without my carry piece.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ws76133 View Post
    Our local Code Blue - Citizen's On Patrol group is pretty successful in scattering the roaches into areas where they're less likely to be seen. It's affiliated with the police department, and there's a specific prohibition on carrying a firearm, even with a CHL. There's no restriction on pepper spray, 5 cell mag lights aka clubs, etc.
    Yeah only I've seen too many guys high on '_____' drug and pepper spray is like squirting oil on a fire.... but at least you have something going in your town.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

We have an informal watch group where I live. Most of us are very good friends and that's where it has to start. It fosters good cooperation and an ownership for the community. Several of our group are self employed and therefore may be home at any time of the day or night. These irregular hours have been a boon to our success. Just recently, one of these neighbors caught a small group of young punks casing our garage doors. He confronted them by asking if they live here and when they answered no, suggested they go back to where they do live. We don't walk the streets at night or call the sheriff every time something doesn't look right. What we do is look out for one another's property and be there for them when needed. Heck, one neighbor has a key to my house to look in on our dogs while we're away. I trust them and they do us. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to have official badges and night vision to extend your SA for your neighbors. The bad guys will quickly catch on and move to greener pastures.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by db4usa View Post
    We have an informal watch group where I live. Most of us are very good friends and that's where it has to start. It fosters good cooperation and an ownership for the community. Several of our group are self employed and therefore may be home at any time of the day or night. These irregular hours have been a boon to our success. Just recently, one of these neighbors caught a small group of young punks casing our garage doors. He confronted them by asking if they live here and when they answered no, suggested they go back to where they do live. We don't walk the streets at night or call the sheriff every time something doesn't look right. What we do is look out for one another's property and be there for them when needed. Heck, one neighbor has a key to my house to look in on our dogs while we're away. I trust them and they do us. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to have official badges and night vision to extend your SA for your neighbors. The bad guys will quickly catch on and move to greener pastures.
    Is the a vacant house by you? This would be my ideal situation. I do have a good relationship with a few of my neighbors but there are so many of us crammed in here that I would like to take an opportunity like this to get to know more of them. The more eyes the better.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    You have some good advice here, particularly from SIXTO.

I'll share with you some reality as well; I'm a reluctant president of a large HOA. I have this role, because I'm also the developer, and in order to protect my investment, I have to maintain control of the HOA until it is developed out. With that said...

This issue comes up every few years at HOA meetings, and I've seen both successful and failed implementations. What doesn't work is when the security committee sets themselves up as a 'posse' that roams the neighborhood. The problem is that they are trying to assess homes where they don't know the homeowners and there are a lot of false-alarms and crying wolf to the police.

What does work really well is to get to know your neighbors - up to about 4 houses on either side and across the street. Trying to set up a get-together usually doesn't work because it's a little awkward, and not everybody will be able to attend. What does work is the casual encounters. Even though we have a large, fenced back yard, I'll have my son and I play ball in the front yard for the social aspects. My wife also walks the dog, which gives her reason to stop and chat too. It doesn't take long to at least build acquaintances. Not everybody is someone that you'd want to know when you are out of town, and this is a method of determining that. It's also a good way to figure out who you can trust. I'm blessed with good neighbors on both sides, whom I always let know when we're out of town, and they pick up the mail for us, etc.. We've built up a small community on my end of the street where we know each other's patterns, cars and habits.
    Justified likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You have some good advice here, particularly from SIXTO.

I'll share with you some reality as well; I'm a reluctant president of a large HOA. I have this role, because I'm also the developer, and in order to protect my investment, I have to maintain control of the HOA until it is developed out. With that said...

This issue comes up every few years at HOA meetings, and I've seen both successful and failed implementations. What doesn't work is when the security committee sets themselves up as a 'posse' that roams the neighborhood. The problem is that they are trying to assess homes where they don't know the homeowners and there are a lot of false-alarms and crying wolf to the police.

What does work really well is to get to know your neighbors - up to about 4 houses on either side and across the street. Trying to set up a get-together usually doesn't work because it's a little awkward, and not everybody will be able to attend. What does work is the casual encounters. Even though we have a large, fenced back yard, I'll have my son and I play ball in the front yard for the social aspects. My wife also walks the dog, which gives her reason to stop and chat too. It doesn't take long to at least build acquaintances. Not everybody is someone that you'd want to know when you are out of town, and this is a method of determining that. It's also a good way to figure out who you can trust. I'm blessed with good neighbors on both sides, whom I always let know when we're out of town, and they pick up the mail for us, etc.. We've built up a small community on my end of the street where we know each other's patterns, cars and habits.
    The more I am thinking it over the more likely I will take this route. I was a little worked up when someone robbed the elderly women behind me. But since the BGs have been caught. The truth is your idea of community is the best answer. I shall have to get to know the locals better and that will be that.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links