Attempted Rape - Page 2

Attempted Rape

This is a discussion on Attempted Rape within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 You know, this brings up an interesting point. I have at times passed women on the side of the road with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Attempted Rape

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    You know, this brings up an interesting point. I have at times passed women on the side of the road with car trouble and thought about stopping to help. But I never do because I'm afraid that they will be frightened of me and especially if something were to go wrong and the police found out I was carrying a gun, who knows how they might twist the story. Yet on the other hand I always drive on by thinking to myself that if I don't stop, somebody who really intends harm might.. but it is a two-edged sword.

I've also tried to put myself in that position. If I'm on the side of the highway and my car has broken down and for some strange reason I don't have my cell with me, or maybe the battery is run down or who knows.. What would I do if somebody stopped and offered me a ride? Sure, at least I'm armed. But maybe I'd be better off just asking if I could borrow their cell phone so I could make a call, but not get in the car with them.
    One of the best things you can do in that situation is stop, tell THEM not to get out of their car. If they roll down their window tell them to roll it back up to just a crack. Tell them you want to help them but it's safer for them if they don't trust you but that you will call someone for them.

Remember that some female "victims" have been known to fake it so they can hurt you too.

Offer to call their insurance company to see if they have road-side assistance. If you want to offer your phone you can do that through a slit in the window, etc. Tell them NOT to hand over their insurance card so that you cannot see their name, etc, but just to read you off the number. I'm sure they will appreciate the help and you can keep things safely distant for BOTH of you.

I'm very glad that Aunt J is okay. You're right. Not knowing who to call (maybe not even having a cell phone?) and then getting into the car of a stranger... yikes!

The moment he said, "You can trust me," would have been the exact moment I would have laughed in his face and told him to hit the road. Of course I would have already called roadside assistance, my husband, and probably would be sitting there playing on DC on my phone while waiting for them to arrive.

Avoidance is paramount here.

VIP Member
    Slightly off topic, Aunt J was legal carrying without a license so long as she remained in her car. Once out of the car, it was no longer legal without a CHL.

That is why everyone who really wants to carry should do the right thing and get the dang CHL. Its not like it is a big deal and it is a prudent move. Once you get it you never have to carry if you don't want to, but at least you are legal.

A woman (or man for that matter) should avoid getting into the car of a stranger. If it isn't a marked police car (with the obvious usual equipment and design such as lights, cage, radios, dash cam etc., it isn't safe. Period.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Whew, it's a good thing Aunt J had that .38 in her purse. Hopefully she will not have any legal ramifications for having it in her purse.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

VIP Member
    Glad She is OK.

Thanks everyone

Thanks all for the good wishes, this may drag out a while.

Don't make too much of the fact that I don't think she has her permit, I'm not positive of that fact. Just knowing her, her state of residence (no permit required), and her attitude towards government intervention in her personal affairs, I kind of doubt she does.

As you might imagine, details are still being filtered down to us, and of course our primary focus is on Aunt J. The rest will be sorted out over time, and there's not much we can do about that.

Out of concern for her potential legal hassle, I'm being intentionally vague here on some details. I would like to share more, but am also VERY concerned for her well-being at this time (my wife and I have yet to talk to her ourselves). When appropriate, I'll try and share aditional details about the incident, and the outcome.

Stay safe.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Glad everything turned out. My wife is waiting anxiously for her license to carry to be completed. Were she in the same situation with a firearm available, I think she'd have driven the rapist's car to report a dead body.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I am very happy that your wife's Aunt is safe! How frightening that must've been.

In Costa Rica, a woman's gardener threatened her with a knife and forced her to drive to a secluded area to rape and kill her. The woman complied calmly as part of her survival strategy, since she is an IDPA shooter and was carrying a S&W M&P9c in her purse. When they got to the isolated area, the gardener got distracted for a second and she drew her firearm and shot him 3 times in the chest with her M&P9c loaded with Hornady Critical Defense JHP. According to her reports, the attacker dropped dead instantly and she ran looking for help. She was not charged for any crimes, but was obviously very shaken up by the incident. It was a very big deal with regards to self-defense rights with a firearm, but the anti-gun media of Costa Rica gave it little coverage. Thanks to the pro-gun lobbyists in Costa Rica, we made the story headline via social media, guerrilla marketing and massive email campaigns.

It makes me sick to think that some people are anti-gun when you read these kind of stories. If it were not for the firearm, we would be mourning another terrible tragedy and a psychopath would be loose on our streets to hunt other women.

I sure do love firearms!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I agree with Limatunes advice on actions to promote the safety and feelings of a female one may stop to help, while maintaining awareness to promote ones own safety.

I also agree as previously mentioned that I would seriously avoid giving a ride to an unknown female, due to potential problems. We gave time and milage to dispatch whenever transporting females to avoid such problems.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That had to be a very traumatic thing to go through. I am glad she is okay and her being armed saved her no doubt.

Just a heads up, you said she was travelling in central Texas so I couldn't tell if she was a Texas resident or just travelling through Texas. If she is a Texas resident and has a Texas Driver's License have her pull it out and on the back just above the bar code in tiny font is the number to Texas Raodside Assistance. There are a ton of Texans that I've told about this and they never realized it. Next time she is in a jam she can whip out her TDL (assuming she has one) and call the number on the back... 1.800.525.5555.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

In Texas you can carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle without a permit,she woulda been good on the gun part,getting in a car with a stranger not so good.On a lonely stretch of road with a broken down vehicle I won't stop due to the fact it may be a trap,you stop to offer assistance and BG is hidden from view and gets the drop on you and they rob you etc.What I will do is contact LEO and give them the location
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep I think I would have pulled the trigger on that one because he will do it again after he gets out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thing that she had a weapon

Justice would've been sure had she shot him in the face. Unfortunately, he'll be out in a couple of years to try again
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sounds like Aunt J learned not to trust strangers anymore and she handled herself pretty well when things went South. Glad she came out OK physically.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My hat is off for Aunt J! I am very impressed that despite the perpetrator's insistence of good intentions, SHE NEVER LET HER GUARD DOWN. That is one tough lady because she took control of the situation, and still had the restraint to not paint the interior of that car with the perp's brains. I say it again, MY HAT'S OFF TO YOU, AUNT J!!! The lonestar state needs more ladies like ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post
    This is a true story, we were just informed about it this weekend by my mother-in-law.

My wife's aunt - we'll call her Aunt J - was travelling in central Texas
    Great story with an even greater ending!

Might I suggest you call her Aunt "J-Frame"?
    Maltz likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links