Attempted Rape - Page 3

Attempted Rape

This is a discussion on Attempted Rape within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank God for the snubnose .38 and that she is OK. She should have at least put one round in his leg...or perhaps a more ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Attempted Rape

Thank God for the snubnose .38 and that she is OK. She should have at least put one round in his leg...or perhaps a more strategic location slightly higher.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    glad she was able to think about it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I wouldn't worry about any gun charge or the stealing of his car. A good attorney would argue for doctrine of competing harms. A person is usually excused from breaking a law, when obeying the law would result in disastrous consequences. Taking his car to avoid rape and murder is chump change compared to the likely outcome. I'm sure there is more than enough physical evidence to corroborate her story.

While she had no idea at the time he would be implicated in 16 other rapes, the crime against her, at that moment is what counts.

Also, her snub nose should have barked that night. If he hasn't killed before, he likely will kill in the future. If the circumstance were right for him, and the area he had your aunt in was truly secluded, she very well could have been more than just a rape victim. She should have blown his friggon head off. That may sound harsh, but when you put as many murder victims into body bags as I have, you become a little jaded and cynical.

It has yet to be determined if he's going to be walking the streets soon again or not. Strange things happen in jury trials.

Still, she survived and she handled herself well enough to escape. That's the main goal. But if he was now taking a dirt nap, she won't have any need to testify at his trial. And if he bonds out, she's not going to sleep well while he's loose.

Of course that's just my opinion. I don't like predators and how they tend to scam the system.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Remember that some female "victims" have been known to fake it so they can hurt you.
    Avoidance is paramount here.
    Spot on!

Google "Aileen Wuornos."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wouldn't worry about any gun charge or the stealing of his car. A good attorney would argue for doctrine of competing harms. A person is usually excused from breaking a law, when obeying the law would result in disastrous consequences. Taking his car to avoid rape and murder is chump change compared to the likely outcome. I'm sure there is more than enough physical evidence to corroborate her story.

While she had no idea at the time he would be implicated in 16 other rapes, the crime against her, at that moment is what counts.

Also, her snub nose should have barked that night. If he hasn't killed before, he likely will kill in the future. If the circumstance were right for him, and the area he had your aunt in was truly secluded, she very well could have been more than just a rape victim. She should have blown his friggon head off. That may sound harsh, but when you put as many murder victims into body bags as I have, you become a little jaded and cynical.

It has yet to be determined if he's going to be walking the streets soon again or not. Strange things happen in jury trials.

Still, she survived and she handled herself well enough to escape. That's the main goal. But if he was now taking a dirt nap, she won't have any need to testify at his trial.

And if he bonds out, she's not going to sleep well while he's loose.[/Of course that's just my opinion.

I don't like predators and how they tend to scam the system.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tend to be in this camp on this one.

Tough call on her pulling the trigger though.
    Had he forced the issue, would she have?

I'd like to think so.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger.
    Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
    The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
    Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
    357and40 likes this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Wish she would have killed the scum, no jury in their right minds would convict her or anything. I have no tolerance for men who do such atrocities to women or children.
    garyacman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Way to go Aunt J.
    As far as shooting him, this is another one of those "End the threat scenarios that is so hard to call. As soon as she produced the gun and he stopped attempting to harm her. She was no longer being threatened with harm. It's the same as if you point a gun at a mugger and he turns to run, you can't shoot him in the back as much as you would like to.
    In this case had she shot him and he lived, he could claim she used deadly force when it was no longer neccessary. It sucks, but that's the law, as I understand it, and no I am not a lawyer.

I also wonder if the reason she didn't shoot him was perhaps she didn't have the resolve to kill someone. Until we face this ourselves none of us know for sure if we have what it takes to pull the trigger. I would think that being attacked as she was, she would have been scared enough and mad enough to do it, but I don't know her.
    This is why people are advised not to carry a gun unless they feel they could pull the trigger. If you can't do it, it just gives the attacker a weapon to use against you.
    Hopefully Aunt J was just exercising good judgement and was able to know when the threat was ended.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Way to go Aunt J.
    As far as shooting him, this is another one of those "End the threat scenarios that is so hard to call. As soon as she produced the gun and he stopped attempting to harm her. She was no longer being threatened with harm. It's the same as if you point a gun at a mugger and he turns to run, you can't shoot him in the back as much as you would like to.
    In this case had she shot him and he lived, he could claim she used deadly force when it was no longer neccessary. It sucks, but that's the law, as I understand it, and no I am not a lawyer.

I also wonder if the reason she didn't shoot him was perhaps she didn't have the resolve to kill someone. Until we face this ourselves none of us know for sure if we have what it takes to pull the trigger. I would think that being attacked as she was, she would have been scared enough and mad enough to do it, but I don't know her.
    This is why people are advised not to carry a gun unless they feel they could pull the trigger. If you can't do it, it just gives the attacker a weapon to use against you.
    Hopefully Aunt J was just exercising good judgement and was able to know when the threat was ended.
    This ^ is what I often wonder. Do the people who I know carry have teh right mindset to do so? I would like to thinks so. I would also like to think I do. As I have trained more than anyone I know who carrys, (except maybe my brother who is a cop,) Does my girlfriend have the right mindset to shoot someone? We've trained together, we have had that conversation,
    I said "Ms. Spec do feel that you could shoot someone who was intenteding on harming you?"
    Ms. Spec :"I have done alot of training with you and i do feel that I would shoot to protect myself."

but until it comes to that point which i hope it never does. I don't know, for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Way to go Aunt J.

When he's on top of her in the front seat of a car, there is no way a jury is going to misconstrue that as being the same as shooting someone in the back, even if he was trying to back down.

Also, a couple of rounds of .38 special to the head at point blank range, I seriously doubt he's going to be claiming anything to any jury.

Lastly, while still within the close confines of inside an automobile, just because he acts like he's giving up does not mean you are anywhere near being out of immediate danger. I can assure you the only reason he stopped his attack was because of the presence of the gun. It also wouldn't be the first time a killer feigned compliance and backing down only to regroup, quickly strategize and then attempt to disarm the person with the gun.

I can assure you he was just as shocked she didn't kill him outright as I was. Any number of other rapists and or killers would have attempted the disarming as soon as they realized the person holding the gun wasn't going to shoot.

I don't know anything about your background and history, or what you have experienced before in your personal life, but I can say that your rationalization for not shooting him when she had the chance is commonly shared by people who have never been near death before in a violent encounter and have never seen many murder victims or interacted with rape survivors in real life. People who share that same rationalization have nothing in their ordinary life experience to compare being in that situation with. No frame of reference to compare it to in their own life experience. It allows them to rationalize to themselves that they are morally obligated not to shoot because they think the threat has ended.

The reality is, as long as he's still in the car, the immediate threat is not over. He can counter attack at any moment, and there's no guarantee she could remain control over the weapon. It was a very dangerous decision not to shoot him just because he started to comply considering the heat of the moment.

Again, I stand by the fact that as soon as she got her hand on the gun, she should have emptied the cylinder into his head and center mass. Before he had a chance to "give up" if that's what you want to call it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The lesson: NEVER TRUST STRANGERS!

How this should have happened -
    Him: I need to help you.
    Her: Help is on the way and should be here shortly. Thanks anyway.

I don't understand why every person in the world does not have AT LEAST a minute phone through a major carrier that can be bought for $20.

Heck, I have people that work under me that tell me they can't afford to eat but they are carrying a brand new Driod, playin on line games & watchin youtube on their mobile device...
    Bark'n likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

mel
    First off, I am glad to hear Aunt J, was able to come away from this incident in one piece. Second, this scumbag should be put down. Rapists, child molesters (sp?), and murderers need to be removed from society permanently. I recently traveled to the far east, and they don't stand for such things. If they are caught red handed they have a quick trial and then are taken out back and have a .25 put in the back of their head. They don't seem to invest in a lot of rehabilitation, if you know what I mean.
    garyacman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    First off, I am glad to hear Aunt J, was able to come away from this incident in one piece. Second, this scumbag should be put down. Rapists, child molesters (sp?), and murderers need to be removed from society permanently. I recently traveled to the far east, and they don't stand for such things. If they are caught red handed they have a quick trial and then are taken out back and have a .25 put in the back of their head. They don't seem to invest in a lot of rehabilitation, if you know what I mean.
    where do you see this happening? because I want to live there. I'm tired of hearing about guys like this get off.

I hate when people say "putting a criminal to death costs more than life in prison." and I say then your doing it wrong. How much does a piece of rope and a tall tree cost? maybe $10.... $15 dollar rope if it is made in the USA...

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I hate when people say "putting a criminal to death costs more than life in prison." and I say then your doing it wrong. How much does a piece of rope and a tall tree cost? maybe $10.... $15 dollar rope if it is made in the USA...
    Even less if you go the Gary Gilmore route... 5 rounds of rifle ammo, and volunteers behind the triggers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

personally I stop and help people that are broke down on the side of the road all the time. of course I'm in the tow truck and in uniform (which seems to help) LOL. now when I'm in my personal vehicle, nope. sorry about your luck but I don't have any warning lights, no dispatcher to wonder where I am, and most importantly: I don't know you and you don't know me.

granted none of these are hard fast rules, but I go by them alot.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links