Friends brother was shot!

This is a discussion on Friends brother was shot! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend whos brother was recently shot. I thought I'd share the story and discuss what the outcome will be. So his brother ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Friends brother was shot!

I have a friend whos brother was recently shot. I thought I'd share the story and discuss what the outcome will be. So his brother was driving through a neighborhood hauling some stuff so he was going slow. He has done this once before and both times there was a kid (21yo) driving a sporty Acura behind him honking his horn and revving his engine. Probably lived in the neighborhood. Well this time my friends brother pulled over. The kid pulled over behind him. The two exchanged words and my friends brother reached through the window and hit the kid. He hit him supposedly twice. The kid then took out his gun and shot him once. I'm not sure what kind of gun it was but it was a fmj .40s&w round. Luckily, the bullet went right through his stomach and out his back half an inch from his spine. My friends buddy lived, spent four days in the hospital and was just recently released.

Now I was told this story from my friend about his brother who I met only once. I am not sure if that's exactly how it happened but for the sake of debate let's say it's pretty close. As for the kid who had the gun, he now has a court date that is set.

To start with, I say the kid with the gun was in the wrong. But I bet I know what he was really thinking. The kid was thinking about the castle doctrine so he felt he had the right to protect himself against a guy who was assaulting him through his window. However, where he went wrong is he could have easily avoided the situatio but instead decided to instigate an start a fight by pullin in behind the guys car instead of just going around. The kid was 21 years old so he just got his ccw and was being stupid about it. Now for my friends brother who got shot, do I think he deserved it? Maybe not but he shouldn't have assaulted the kid. Who knows what people are carrying. What do you guys think?

Nobody wins with road rage. Your friends were also wrong, and lucky.
    ArkhmAsylm and TSiWRX like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Sounds like there was more than enough stupidity to go around, Never stop for something like that, and never never get out of your vehicle.

At last count there were over 800,000 CC'ers in Florida. You can't get into very many altercations before the odds turn against you. I'm old enough, that I've learned I can swallow a whole lot of pride or ego much easier than a bullet.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It sounds to me like your friends brother instigated the whole thing. I am not excusing the any acts by the 21year old, but, Your friends brother stopped....got out.... walked back and confronted this guy. Then he hit him through the window? This is not looking good for your friends brother. He clearly instigated this.

There has to be a little more to this story. Why would a ccw, or any honest citizen for that matter, follow someone around honking at them?! If it can be proven that he was out LOOKING for a fight...that might be a different story. But seeing as he didn't even get out of his car, and your friends brother came back and physically assaulted him through a car window; this is not good.

You can't fix stupid sometimes. Sounds like both parties here had alot of it..
    9MMare and RemMod597 like this.

OD*
    Sounds like a lack of gray matter in both parties.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sounds like they both should share a cell and get a life lesson on the taxpayers tab.

Kid was right. You have no right to assault someone in their vehicle. Kid was fearing for his life. Justified

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Nobody wins with road rage. Your friends were also wrong, and lucky.

get out of your car in a road rage incident in Florida and prepare for "incoming rounds". With 825,000 concealed weapon licenses in the State of Florida, chances are pretty good that the guy you confront is carrying. Whether the guy in the car behind you is being a jerk or a Boy Scout, let it go. Your life may depend on it. If you carry a gun every day, your world has no place for road rage incidents as you will be held to a higher degree of scrutiny than the non-armed driver.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    It sounds like there was a lot of stupid involved. I'm glad everyone came out of it ok, but still; NEVER GET OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    stupid on both parties

kid honking horn/revving engine being a jerk then stopping....obviously looking for confrontation

friend's brother: when the car pulled over behind him, should have pulled back into lane of traffic and continued, if the car wanted to continue being a jerk then let him follow him and call 911....no reason/justification for going back to confront him
    as I say to people sometimes on calls....I don't condone road rage, but sometimes I understand it

kid in car can say he was going to the house that he stopped in front of and got assaulted and defended himself
    this will be an interesting case to follow as it unfolds
    msgt/ret likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    Kid was right. You have no right to assault someone in their vehicle. Kid was fearing for his life. Justified
    Self Defense is about attempting to deescalate,the shooter pulled in behind the vehicle,thus escalating a possible confrontation,then when shootee exits vehicle instead of driving off more than likely talks smack thinking if this guy tries anything I'm gonna put a cap in his ass,and that is why it isn't justified as self defense,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You play with fire, your going to get burned.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    And as you can see, he's now in court. Likely to go to trial.

Keep holding the idea it's okay to shoot unarmed people and you too can likely share a cell with him.

Note: Yes there are situations where it may be justified to shoot an unarmed person. But those situations are extremely rare and certainly wasn't justified in this case.

Saying "I was in fear of my life" isn't an automatic free pass. It has to pass the smell test. It certainly wouldn't pass my smell test if I were on the jury. (based only on the story as it was related here).
    mr.stuart and msgt/ret like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would say both were criminally stupid and should be charged accordingly. That is the great thing about our legal system we don't have to say either party was right.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links