The Rednecks and the City Slickers

This is a discussion on The Rednecks and the City Slickers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Old video, I realize that - but it came up again and now that I carry I have some thoughts on it. What would you ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ArkhmAsylm
  • 1 Post By smolck
  • 2 Post By 21bubba
  • 1 Post By Spade115

Thread: The Rednecks and the City Slickers

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Old video, I realize that - but it came up again and now that I carry I have some thoughts on it.

What would you do? (Caution for language)

Unfortunately, it doesn't embed. But I went to youtube and watched it. Interesting video. Seems both man and woman had a gun. I think the guy in the BMW is somewhat commendable because I might very well have shot the dudes once I saw them approaching me with bats. Taking their keys and dumping them at the end of the road was probably a pretty smart idea too, since it meant the wouldn't be able to follow them. Who knows, they may have had a gun in their truck somewhere.

Now the question is.. at what point should they have called the police? and would the police have been able to help?

This actually reminds me of a story from when I was 17. I was driving my dad's brand-new sports car around and somebody started following me around for a few miles. This was in a time before cell-phones. I certainly wasn't old enough to have a handgun, but I did have a BB pistol in the car since I was coming back from a friends house where we were target shooting. It was a very crude 1911 replica. Not even a very convincing replica, as I think it was like $19 at the time. But at a distance, it was sort of hard to tell. At one point they were close enough to my window that I sort of brandished it without actually pointing it at them. It worked like a charm. They slammed on their brakes and took the first turn-off available. I never did figure out why they were following me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I think we have seen this before. Also, it has been reported that the video was a staged incident.

This video looks fake and scripted.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    It seemed like a good chuckle the first few times I saw it over a year or so, but with each viewing I move ever closer to thinking that it all seems like a total setup. The 'rednecks' taping their drive behind the 'slickers' seems contrived & somewhat forced. The resulting confrontation also seems a bit too flimsy, & the slicker deciding to commandeer the 'neck's camera...& then post the contents all seems a bit too farcical. But what do I know?

As to what I might do if in the place of the slickers -

If a cell phone wasn't available, I would have driven to the nearest business to be sure there were witnesses & had my passenger ask someone there to call the police. If put into the dead-end situation portayed in the video, with my passenger safely behind me I would have drawn on the fools & ordered them to the ground. If they chose to comply rather than run, I would have used their camera to video their faces & their vehicle & then borrow the tape from within & take it to the nearest police station.
    limatunes likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Technically this is an armed robbery.

old and staged

And rednecks don't sound that articulate.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Doesn't matter if it's old and staged, it's a video of a scenario - what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's old and staged, it's a video of a scenario - what would you do?
    If I am the BMW guy, I don't drive down a dead end road. If I am the truck, I wouldn't do it to begin with. This one is totally avoidable.
    limatunes likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Change the channel.
    Naufragia and Stubborn like this.

BMW that will do close to 150 vs a truck that will do 95 top. Your options would be what happens in the video or stay on a long stretch and lose them in a strait or cornering. a BMW will corner faster and better then a truck.
    limatunes likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    BMW that will do close to 150 vs a truck that will do 95 top. Your options would be what happens in the video or stay on a long stretch and lose them in a strait or cornering. a BMW will corner faster and better then a truck.
    engaging in a high speed get away isn't too bright, all you need to do is keep moving and hope they get tired of chasing, if they persist you may have to use deadly force

Well not really engaging in a high speed chase either it would also go with the BMW will also do roughly 24 mpg (since it also looks to be about a 96-98 model) while the truck (late 80's early 90's) will be doing close to 15 they just need to keep a safe distance and the truck will run out of gas befor the car. But I agree deadly force is an option if they continue.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Moderator
    What would you do?

(Caution for language)
    I'm closing it for the same reason that it got closed the last few times. Language.

If you cant write what the the script says here without being warned or censored, then dont post it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links